Analogue or Digital.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Analogue or Digital.

Another advantage of streaming is that higher sampling rates and bit rates can be catered for, up to almost stratospheric levels! It seems that CDs are definitely on the wane; one of my favourite artists, Nils Frahm, is now only releasing his music on vinyl or download, the latter as mp3 or lossless WAV files. The WAV files can of course easily be burned to a CD-R.

https://www.erasedtapes.com/release/...rahm-encores-3
    Regards
    Richard

Comment

Wow valve amp Nigel !! That's something I only remember from the way past!!

All this compressed stuff just does not appeal to me, if you are a professional artist and recording at a level which is close to or near live the last thing you want is a compressed broadcast or recording, although I have a friend who loves his heavy metal and only listens on his alexa !!

...I agree with you re the BBC Otto I listen to the higher rates now at home and they can be quite stunning...some of the latest LP pressing on 180g appear to be the way a lot of vinyl is now going.

A recent re master recording of Sarah Vaughan (+2 Album) is a case in point...

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/sara...red/739917-01/

Peter
      OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
      I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
      www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
        Another advantage of streaming is that higher sampling rates and bit rates can be catered for, up to almost stratospheric levels! It seems that CDs are definitely on the wane; one of my favourite artists, Nils Frahm, is now only releasing his music on vinyl or download, the latter as mp3 or lossless WAV files. The WAV files can of course easily be burned to a CD-R.

https://www.erasedtapes.com/release/...rahm-encores-3
        I don't know about you but CD's seem quite clunky nowadays compared with playing from an iPad or similar. Its almost like using VHS video tapes.

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
        Wow valve amp Nigel !! That's something I only remember from the way past!!

Peter

I have a pair of these Peter but I do use other amplifiers. They are over sixty years old but still going strong. They are still built and serviced in Huntingdon.

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Quad eh !! Huntingdon, I used to pass their office when I rep'd in the mid seventies, obviously still going strong but not with valves...do you have their electrostatic speakers as well ??

I do remember as a kid we had an upright radiogram which was valves, made the mistake one day of fiddling around at the back and lucky i'm still here in the days when I was trying to get a better sound by adding external speakers.

Otto apologies in my haste I should have said Richard..!! Fingers too quick for the brain.

Peter
          OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
          I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Comment

Just re read ...still built...!

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/va-one-plus/

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
              Quad eh !! Huntingdon, I used to pass their office when I rep'd in the mid seventies, obviously still going strong but not with valves...do you have their electrostatic speakers as well ??

Peter
              Quad ceased using valves in the early 1970's; one of the last manufacturers to do so if I recall; but responding to demand they started building equipment with valves again about twenty years ago and now have quite a full range up to the mighty Quad Four-Eighty which provides 80 Watts of Class A valve power per channel using four KT88 output valves in each monoblock amplifier.

As you say they do run at high voltages (upwards of 350 Volts HT) and the valves get quite hot so one soon learns to respect the circuits and where it is safe to poke fingers!

I don't have the electrostatics any longer sadly as they are quite bulky and expensive to maintain. They are also quite bass-light which doesn't suit organ or choral music well. I now have a pair of Quad 22L floorstanders which reproduce the beautiful rumble and purr of a 32' Double Open Wood very well without the need for a subwoofer.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Only valve amp I had was a Leak, can't remember the model, it was a long while ago
                Speakers were Kef, big old things on stands and seem to recall buying it down Tottenham Ct Rd

Comment

Ahh yes. Tottenham Court Road used to be an Aladdin's Cave for all things audio and electronic along with Lyle Street if I recall. I haven't been there for years but the last time I visited there were only computer shops which was all a bit boring.

TCR was one of those places where you could buy almost anything. There was also a shop in one the back streets near to the Underground Station which sold all sorts of transformers, inductors and coils, mostly from ex-MOD equipment but it was perfect for building radio and audio equipment. The shopkeeper was a grumpy old sod but he was very helpful too.

Leak made the Stereo 30 amplifier, a fairly compact device usually fitted with a wooden sleeve. It had a pair of EL84 output valves in Class AB push-pull configuration each side giving an output of 15 Watts per channel. There were other models giving higher and lower outputs,

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                    Ahh yes. Tottenham Court Road used to be an Aladdin's Cave for all things audio and electronic along with Lyle Street if I recall. I haven't been there for years but the last time I visited there were only computer shops which was all a bit boring.
                    Proops in TCR was good for odds and sods. I see that they're here now:

https://www.proopsbrothers.com/about-us-1-w.asp

I think that Henry's is still around, but I knew them when they were on the corner of Harrow and Edgeware road. I used to buy 'red spot' transistors from them to make TRF radios.
                    Jim

Comment

Edgeware Road was another goldmine that we used to visit along with Selsdon Road in Croydon. There was so much ex-MOD equipment in those days that was sold for next to nothing.

Thinking back I cannot believe that I used to catch a train to London with a friend, aged only about thirteen or fourteen. We would spend the afternoon exploring the electronics shops before finding our way to my dad's office for a lift home armed with nothing more than dad's business card and a pocketful of change!
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

TCR was one of those places where you could buy almost anything. There was also a shop in one the back streets near to the Underground Station which sold all sorts of transformers, inductors and coils, mostly from ex-MOD equipment but it was perfect for building radio and audio equipment. The shopkeeper was a grumpy old sod but he was very helpful too.

Leak made the Stereo 30 amplifier, a fairly compact device usually fitted with a wooden sleeve. It had a pair of EL84 output valves in Class AB push-pull configuration each side giving an output of 15 Watts per channel. There were other models giving higher and lower outputs,

Laskys in TCR was very good, could listen to different amp/speaker combos.

That amp looks very similar, pretty sure mine had some outputs on the front under the dials too.

Also still have a Technics SL6 direct drive turntable that enables you to select or omit tracks to play.
                        Other one is a Pro-Ject, can't remember the model without digging it out of a box under the bed

Comment

Quad ceased using valves in the early 1970's; one of the last manufacturers to do so if I recall; but responding to demand they started building equipment with valves again about twenty years ago and now have quite a full range up to the mighty Quad Four-Eighty which provides 80 Watts of Class A valve power per channel using four KT88 output valves in each monoblock amplifier.
                          I guess that you sit round it, toasting marshmallows!

Jim

Comment

Well we really are a bunch of old farts! Talk of Argus and Tarkus, Jon and Vangelis! I remember with great fondness when both the former came out. Couldn’t get into Jon Anderson once he left (first of many times!) Yes.
                            I’ve not played a single vinyl album in probably 30+ years, possibly due to the reasons dotted throughout the post; distortion, clicks, pops, hiss etc. Fully accept that to anyone with decent hearing the experience of mp3 or CD might not be the same, but throughout those 30+ years most of my listening was done in a car, so even tapes sounded OK back then. We’ve not got room, or desire, to have decent kit in our lounge so I’m afraid I make do with a pair of Sonos speakers which sound fine to me, playing toons from my iPhone.
                            I’m sure we’ve savoured elements of this thread before, I can distinctly remember discussing the merits of Quad Electrostatic (strange mix of cheese grater and panel radiator!) speakers before.

Comment

Beats me why anyone would want to go back to that. I guess that there are those that swear by the reproductive quality of wax cylinders!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                                Beats me why anyone would want to go back to that. I guess that there are those that swear by the reproductive quality of wax cylinders!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X