Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Best AA Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best AA Batteries

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Re: Best AA Batteries

I used Lithiums in my Pentax DSLR, outlasted any other AA battery by miles
    They were always cheapest in Superdrug mainly because their deals on batteries were very generous
    These were the ones I used https://www.batterystation.co.uk/ene...CABEgIBFPD_BwE

Comment

There should be expiry dates on all battery packages .... but I'm sure some makes haven't or they are so small they are practically unreadable.

Have a look at 7dayshop.com they have good selections of batteries at decent prices.

I use Costso's own alkaline batteries for most things and have found them very good.

Comment

My vote is for the lithium batteries. Not only do they last far longer than alkaline, they will supply power in much lower temperatures. I use lithium in an outside motion sensor, and the PP3 type lasts for three years.

Comment

My choice for AA's that are difficult to change because of the position would be Lithium. The problem is they are often sent via courier due to the mail restrictions so maybe added cost involved. Alternatively another vote for 7Dayshop as their Alkaline batteries are priced well and always good quality.

The link below relating to Energizer Lithium AA batteries may be of interest to the more technically minded.

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf

Jax

Comment

I would suggest Panasonic Eneloop cells which not only have very good long term storage properties but they are rechargeable too. We even use them in door bells and clocks.

It would be easy to arrange some small solar cells to charge the Eneloop cells during daylight.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Yes, never thought to do that. The climb up the washing line post is a bit precarious, I was having thoughts to bring the battery compartment down to a manageable level, as in height. Will look at rechargeables and solar charging....
              Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                I would suggest Panasonic Eneloop cells which not only have very good long term storage properties but they are rechargeable to. We even use them in door bells and clocks.

It would be easy to arrange some small solar cell to charge the cells during daylight.
                Rechargeable have a nominal voltage of 1.2Volts, Lithium and Alkaline 1.5Volt. The difference doesn't usually matter with simple devices and 1 or two AA's but with some more sensitive circuits not designed to use rechargeable it can effect performance. A device using 4 AA rechargeable batteries suffers a voltage drop of 1.2 Volts from the start so is not likely to last as long as using Lithium AA which have an actual average start voltage of approx 1.7 Volts.

Agreed a solar cell would maintain a charge but only at the reduced voltage so it all depends on the device being powered, number of AA's and if the circuitry is designed to perform with a lower voltage.

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                  Rechargeable have a nominal voltage of 1.2Volts, Lithium and Alkaline 1.5Volt. The difference doesn't usually matter with simple devices and 1 or two AA's but with some more sensitive circuits not designed to use rechargeable it can effect performance. A device using 4 AA rechargeable batteries suffers a voltage drop of 1.2 Volts from the start so is not likely to last as long as using Lithium AA which have an actual average start voltage of approx 1.7 Volts.

Agreed a solar cell would maintain a charge but only at the reduced voltage so it all depends on the device being powered, number of AA's and if the circuitry is designed to perform with a lower voltage.

Jax
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

This thread has the potential to get as complicated as the "Screenshot" one did earlier

Jax

Comment

Now you've said it, it seems to me to be the cheapest and easiest solution to bring the battery pack down to a suitable level.

Use whatever batteries you want and no problem changing them, cheap as chips to wire it down to a box with a simple waterproof cover too. Doesn't matter what batteries you use, you're going to have to change them every so often anyway.

Comment

Duracell industrial are very good I use them in electrical test equipment as they store well with little loss, and seem to last longer under intense use than other brands I have used.

https://www.batterystation.co.uk/ind...iAAEgI-0_D_BwE

Link above gives a description
                        EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                          This thread has the potential to get as complicated as the "Screenshot" one did earlier

Jax
                          Did you use the word 'potential' Jax? I would say that without some resistance form the Mods this thread has plenty of potential and capacitor to become complicated. Just don't induce anyone to become solenoid with it, even for a transient moment.
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                            Did you use the word 'potential' Jax? I would say that without some resistance form the Mods this thread has plenty of potential and capacitor to become complicated. Just don't induce anyone to become solenoid with it, even for a transient moment.
                            Nigel, I doubt very much if those who modulate the forum, always without bias, would have any effect on the current topic being discussed. If they did, the continuity of the flow would be transformed.

Jax

Comment

Now many batteries do you use in it? If the voltage is around the 3.7Vdc, you could mod it to use one of those Solar rechargeable Lithium. Then it would last a pretty long time.
                              * Henry
                              * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X