Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boris Gate

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    Quite right. Jim can hardly claim that his favourite journals, Pravda, The Grauniad and The Morning Star, are exactly neutral on the subject of politics.
    I've never read Pravda or the Morning Star - so you're wrong 2 out of 3! Better luck next time.

Jim

Comment

I can think of very few foreign powers other than perhaps Russia that would welcome a Corbyn government in Britain.
      I can think of a foreign power that would welcome a compliant government lead by 'Pants on Fire' Johnson - America, lead by Trump!

Jim

Comment

Like a scene from Star Wars, Boris as Salacious Crumb, Pet of Jabba the Trump
        Tolerated because he was an amusement

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
          I've never read Pravda or the Morning Star - so you're wrong 2 out of 3! Better luck next time.

Jim
          So it's only the Guardian then that is your source of "truth"? Just asking?
          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Jim
            Maybe I wasn't being entirely serious Jim. And you did elude to having read Pravda, the Morning Star or both when we held a poll about newspapers that we read a year or two ago.

So if it wasn't you who was it? Tram perhaps?
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Maybe I wasn't being entirely serious Jim. And you did elude to having read Pravda, the Morning Star or both when we held a poll about newspapers that we read a year or two ago.

Last post from me on here until post election, so sorry no response to your little bit of late night **** stirring.

Comment

If the theory of the "multiverse" is correct, somewhere, not only is Corbyn PM but he has been allowed to stay in office for life.

Harold
                The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                  If the theory of the "multiverse" is correct, somewhere, not only is Corbyn PM but he has been allowed to stay in office for life.

Harold
                  North Korea?
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

It would unlikely have been me. If I answer a poll, I do it truthfully.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                      So it's only the Guardian then that is your source of "truth"? Just asking?

I can't speak for Jim but personally I'd trust the Graun any day over the Express, Mail or Torygraph. Unlike most of what pass for newspapers in this country it is not owned by wealthy barons with fortunes in tax havens but by a trust which exists to secure the financial and editorial independence of The Guardian in perpetuity.
                      Regards
                      Richard

Comment

You speak also for me, Richard!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                          I can't speak for Jim but personally I'd trust the Graun any day over the Express, Mail or Torygraph. Unlike most of what pass for newspapers in this country it is not owned by wealthy barons with fortunes in tax havens but by a trust which exists to secure the financial and editorial independence of The Guardian in perpetuity.
                          Point taken; but would you not agree that the Grauniad takes a consistently left of centre viewpoint and therefore cannot be held out as either neutral or independent?
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Point taken; but would you not agree that the Grauniad takes a consistently left of centre viewpoint and therefore cannot be held out as either neutral or independent?
                            I suppose that if you're consistently exposed to extreme right wing views from The Sun, Daily Mail and Telegraph, then anything in the centre is going to appear to be left wing. In the same way, Margaret Thatcher would appear to be a communist to Attila the Hun!

Jim

Comment

It is somewhat left-wing, yes, but unlike some of the tabloids I don't think it prints many downright lies. The Express' weather forecasts alone are sufficient grounds for me not to trust anything else in that paper! Jim has a good point
                              Regards
                              Richard

Comment

I suppose that if you're consistently exposed to extreme right wing views from The Sun, Daily Mail and Telegraph, then anything in the centre is going to appear to be left wing.

Jim
                                C'mon Jim; I don't think by any stretch of the imagination the Grauniad could be described as 'in the centre of anything'. But don't just take my word for it:

Political stance and editorial opinionThen Guardian features editor Ian Katz asserted in 2004 that "it is no secret we are a centre-left newspaper". In 2008, Guardian columnist Jackie Ashley said that editorial contributors were a mix of "right-of-centre libertarians, greens, Blairites, Brownites, Labourite but less enthusiastic Brownites, etc," and that the newspaper was "clearly left of centre and vaguely progressive". She also said that "you can be absolutely certain that come the next general election, The Guardian's stance will not be dictated by the editor, still less any foreign proprietor (it helps that there isn't one) but will be the result of vigorous debate within the paper". The paper's comment and opinion pages, though often written by centre-left contributors such as Polly Toynbee, have allowed some space for right-of-centre voices such as Sir Max Hastings and Michael Gove. Since an editorial in 2000, The Guardian has favoured abolition of the British monarchy. "I write for the Guardian," said Max Hastings in 2005, "because it is read by the new establishment," reflecting the paper's then-growing influence.

In the run-up to the 2010 general election, following a meeting of the editorial staff, the paper declared its support for the Liberal Democrats, due in particular, to the party's stance on electoral reform. The paper suggested tactical voting to prevent a Conservative victory, given Britain's first-past-the-post electoral system. At the 2015 election, the paper switched its support to the Labour Party. Despite this critical position, in the 2017 election The Guardian endorsed the Labour Party. In the 2019 European election The Guardian invited its readers to vote for pro-EU candidates, without endorsing specific parties.

Oh, and for what its worth, I am not "consistently exposed to extreme right wing views from The Sun, Daily Mail and Telegraph" because I don't read them.

Perhaps it is time for you to recalibrate your idea of where the 'middle ground' really lies?

In the same way, Margaret Thatcher would appear to be a communist to Attila the Hun!
                                And Tony Blair?
                                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X