Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Boris Gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boris Gate

Originally posted by Otto View Post
    It was badly drawn up simply because it didn't specify a minimum majority either way. It was almost inevitable that it would produce an inconclusive result, and so it did . The result is stalemate. Time for Her Majesty to call a halt and sack the lot of them - roll on November 5th .
    I think you mean the referendum was badly drawn up because Leave won Richard.

As it happens the Scottish Independence referendum used the same criteria of a simple majority either way. In the event the SNP were denied the simple majority they craved and things turned ugly for a few days; but the result was accepted by most apart from Wee Jimmy Crankie and her followers. (Whatever happened to Alex Salmond?)

I suspect that if Remain had won the EU referendum by a similar narrow majority we would have had Farage and Co. demanding another referendum by now; just like in Scotland.
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I like the sound of that Richard/Jax.... I met a guy (sorry pun) called Guy Fawkes recently...anyone else know someone with a name from the past??

Peter.
      OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
      I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
      www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
        I think you mean the referendum was badly drawn up because Leave won Richard.
        Well, as a Remainer (who knew? ) I didn't like the result, but had it been a decent margin I would have accepted it. Had it gone the other way by such a tiny margin I would have also accepted that the Leavers would be very unhappy. Given the impact leaving is likely to have on our country I really think it was irresponsible of the then government to press ahead on a simple majority basis, and I'd think similarly regarding another Scottish independence vote.

Here's an interesting article in Australia's Sydney Morning Herald:
        https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...24-p533uc.html

Brexit's great irony is that it is a political union (the UK) protesting against another political union (the EU) on the grounds that such unions rob its constituent members of sovereignty.
        He has a point!
        Regards
        Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
          I met a guy (sorry pun) called Guy Fawkes recently...anyone else know someone with a name from the past??

Are you sure it wasn't a nickname, like Dusty Rhodes etc? . I haven't personally met anyone with a famous name but I do know someone who gave her daughter her favourite footballer's surname as a first name!
          Regards
          Richard

Comment

As someone who visited people in their homes for ten years, I have met quite a few 'famous' names. Here's my list (which for some reason, I've kept since I retired). -

Kathleen Boyle (Katie)
            Joseph Brown (Joe)
            Noel Coward
            Barbara Dixon (different spelling but ...)
            Michael Jackson
            Carol King
            Frances Lane (Frankie)
            Selwyn Loyd
            Gordon Ramsey
            Ronald Scott (Ronnie)
            Julia Foster

If you don't recognize any of them, either ask or Google them.

These are all their real and given names, no nicknames.

Comment

Well, as a Remainer (who knew? ) I didn't like the result, but had it been a decent margin I would have accepted it. Had it gone the other way by such a tiny margin I would have also accepted that the Leavers would be very unhappy. Given the impact leaving is likely to have on our country I really think it was irresponsible of the then government to press ahead on a simple majority basis, and I'd think similarly regarding another Scottish independence vote.

Here's an interesting article in Australia's Sydney Morning Herald:
              https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...24-p533uc.html

He has a point!
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

..... I do know someone who gave her daughter her favourite footballer's surname as a first name!
                What, Snodgrass? That was a bit mean of her!
                https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50056341
                Andy
                bengeo.com

Comment

Richard it was true and not a wind up ....I thought it at first but then the paperwork said Mr and Mrs Fawkes !! I did struggle to keep a straight face.

Peter
                  OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                  I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                  www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                    I suspect that if Remain had won the EU referendum by a similar narrow majority we would have had Farage and Co. demanding another referendum by now; just like in Scotland.
                    ISTRC Fromage saying before the referendum that if the result was 48% leave and 52% remain, it would mean 'unfinished business' for the leavers. Well, the result went the other way, so it's unfinished business for the remainers!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                      ISTRC Fromage saying before the referendum that if the result was 48% leave and 52% remain, it would mean 'unfinished business' for the leavers. Well, the result went the other way, so it's unfinished business for the remainers!

Jim
                      That's working on the erroneous assumption that any level headed individual gives a damn about anything Farage says.

Jax

Comment

Can't see an election sorting much out, very likely another hung parliament.
                        Tory vote hit by Brexit party and Lib Dems, Labour a similar story with both main parties keeping their
                        safest seats.
                        Could be even harder to get anything passed unless they somehow manage to work together.

Comment

Originally posted by Tram View Post
                          Tory vote hit by Brexit party and Lib Dems, Labour a similar story with both main parties keeping their
                          safest seats.
                          Could be even harder to get anything passed unless they somehow manage to work together.
                          You might be right, but don't bank on it.

Watching Question Time last night, held in South Shields - historically a Labour stronghold - the people are fed up with the political class.

I think the same applies to a lot of constituencies of all political persuasions.

We need an election, the sooner the better to restore democracy.
                          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tram View Post
                            safest seats.
                            The latest polls ( today ) do vary but indicate a 10 to15 point lead approx. for Conservative over Labour.

Interestingly, according to the BBC News site, Ipsos Mori's leader satisfaction ratings go back to 1977. Their September poll has Comrade Corbyn on the lowest net score of any opposition leader since their series began. No surprise there really.

In fairness, Boris doesn't appear to be the flavour of the month either, again not surprising.

Polls are not always reliable prior to an election but, given the above, an election may provide some surprising results.

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                              You might be right, but don't bank on it.

Watching Question Time last night, held in South Shields - historically a Labour stronghold - the people are fed up with the political class.

I think the same applies to a lot of constituencies of all political persuasions.

We need an election, the sooner the better to restore democracy.
                              Yes, my following comments are very much about Boris (and Mr Cummings in the background)

I'd suggest that an election would only restore some semblance of democracy if, unlike the referendum, iton was conducted with some degree of integrity and honesty; at least an election will be subject to more scrutiny by the Electoral Commission.

This however, makes uncomfortable reading in that regard.

At least Channel 4 has finally picked up on it.
                              Best Regards
                              Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
                              They're Watching You!

Comment

Originally posted by peak4 View Post
                                Yes, my following comments are very much about Boris (and Mr Cummings in the background)

I'd suggest that an election would only restore some semblance of democracy if, unlike the referendum, iton was conducted with some degree of integrity and honesty; at least an election will be subject to more scrutiny by the Electoral Commission.

This however, makes uncomfortable reading in that regard.

At least Channel 4 has finally picked up on it.
                                OMG....Fake news and foreign collusion...……...and Boris's blond hair....

We HAVE morphed into a little USA...…………...
                                Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X