Climate Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Climate Change

The point is that burning fossil fuels releases CO2 that has been stored for millennia. Burning recently grown wood etc just releases what was absorbed recently and so is a short term perturbation.
    Regards
    Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
      The point is that burning fossil fuels releases CO2 that has been stored for millennia. Burning recently grown wood etc just releases what was absorbed recently and so is a short term perturbation.
      More CO2 = Bad, less CO2 = better.

What does short term perturbation even mean? Please expand.
      Burning anything releases CO2.

There is no comfortable global fix.
      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

We are talking long term trends here, centuries not years. “Short term”in climate terms means a few decades so growing new timber and burning it over a period of say 20 or 30 years has little or no effect long term. Burning fossil fuels that absorbed CO2 thousands or millions of years ago does affect the current concentration of the gas in the atmosphere compared to a few hundred years ago.
        Regards
        Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
          We are talking long term trends here, centuries not years. “Short term”in climate terms means a few decades so growing new timber and burning it over a period of say 20 or 30 years has little or no effect long term.
          Why not ?

Jax

Comment

Because you’re just putting back what you took out a few years ago.
            Regards
            Richard

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
              If carbon dioxide is the main driver of climate change as the experts tell us, how can there be exceptions for rich people? Burning anything only living or dead (coal is long dead) increases CO2 emissions.

The whole concept of carbon trading is a political cop-out and ignores the facts.
              The main factors limiting CO2 emissions are the cost of fossil fuels and taxes. The rich are not overly concerned by the cost of fuel and they can often dodge taxes on fuel oil for superyachts by buying from the right country, such as Gibraltar. There is little or no tax on aviation fuel anywhere in the world that I am aware of.

But it isn't just the rich at fault: There are millions of ordinary people who squander energy and resources every day at work simply because they don't have to pay for them, whilst criminals and 'low life' add to the problem by committing acts of arson and frightening people from walking or using public transport.

How much energy is wasted by householders feeling that they need to leave lights on unnecessarily in an effort to deter vandals and burglars? There was even a government advertisement at one time recommending this practice.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

WASTE is the "Bete Noir"...…..(Hope that is not racist)

Any waste adds to the planets demise, UNECESSARILLY, nothwithstanding our normal use of resourses………………...
                Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Deforesation of the UK started in prehistoric times see
                  https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryU...toric-Britain/

The New Forest was cleared to build the naval ships but a lot of the trees were cleared to fire the bronze making industries in the BC period
                  This space for rent

Comment

And more recently huge quantities of charcoal were required for smelting iron before Abraham Darby came up with a way of using coke in the early 18th century.
                    Regards
                    Richard

Comment

• Re: Climate Change

I’m currently watching “The Americas with Simon Reeve” on BBC2. Very illuminating and very scary. Well worth a look to see what’s happening in Alaska and the arctic.

Repeated tomorrow 7th at 23:15 or catch it on iPlayer.
                      Regards
                      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                        Deforesation of the UK started in prehistoric times see
                        https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryU...toric-Britain/

The New Forest was cleared to build the naval ships but a lot of the trees were cleared to fire the bronze making industries in the BC period
                        That is true, but vast numbers of trees, forests and meadows have been cleared over the past 100 years to make way for mechanised agriculture, industry, housing and roads.

I am old enough to remember hedgerows and copses between fields which were important habitats for wildlife, but these have long since been cleared to utilise every square metre of land and to take maximum advantage of the huge agricultural machines now available. In fact I believe our agriculture is more intensive/efficient than just about anywhere else in Europe, probably necessitated by WW2.

I watched an interesting documentary on BBC2 about the decline of the bee population a while ago, where a group of researchers set out to prove that pesticides were responsible for the loss of bees. It turned out this is a British phenomenon and that bees in most of mainland Europe are continuing to thrive; despite the use of the same pesticides. To paraphrase (not in their words) the researchers eventually concluded that our bees were bored to death with a constant diet of oilseed rape!
                        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                          The crude oil from Saudi is used more to produce heavy fuel oils for shipping, petrol, aviation fuels and products for the chemical industry.

No it isn't. Arab crude is a very light oil suitable mostly for making petrol. OTOH North Sea oil has a very low petrol content. In practice refineries (in this country anyway) are geared to producing a range of products so they blend different crudes together to get the ratios of products their customers want. I had all this explained to me some years ago when I was part of a team developing production scheduling software for one of our major refineries.
                          Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

Originally posted by Wildwood View Post
                            No it isn't. Arab crude is a very light oil suitable mostly for making petrol. OTOH North Sea oil has a very low petrol content. In practice refineries (in this country anyway) are geared to producing a range of products so they blend different crudes together to get the ratios of products their customers want. I had all this explained to me some years ago when I was part of a team developing production scheduling software for one of our major refineries.
                            That is interesting but I am not sure how accurate the information is.

North Sea crude is very light and of high quality, and is therefore ideal for producing lubricating oils, light fuel oils and certain chemical by-products. There is also quite a lot of natural gas.

By contrast Arab crude is much heavier than North Sea crude and is used to produce heavy fuel oils used in some large ships, industrial boilers and electricity generation and bitumen for road building as well as chemical by products.

I know the latter to be true because I have worked on VLCC's and ULCC's designed to carry crude oil from the Gulf. These are equipped with steam heating coils in their cargo tanks so that the crude oil can be discharged at destination. These are not required for North Sea crude.

As a point of interest, the newer double hulled VLCC's introduced since Exxon Valdez do not need as much heating because the Gulf oil is already hot when pumped from the ground (owing to the depth of the wells) and the void space between the hulls acts like a Thermos flask. The downside is that the sustained high temperatures greatly accelerate corrosion, which has already led to the loss of ships in high seas.

As an other point of interest, it isn't just crude oil which is blended. Coal is also blended in coke-making plants, using up to seven different types of coal. But that is a whole different industry.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

This article in The Guardian is interesting, it scores each MP on their voting record based on 16 climate-related votes between 2008 and 2018:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...did-your-mp-do

My MP, Rishi Sunak, scores zero - the same as Johnson. Unsurprisingly perhaps most Tories score under 50%.
                              Regards
                              Richard

Comment

On the subject of gas guzzling cars and shopping (slightly tongue in cheek):

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X