Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Climate Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Climate Change

If I remember correctly, "feckless girls" can't pop out more mouths to be fed without the assistance of an equally "feckless guy"

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
      If I remember correctly, "feckless girls" can't pop out more mouths to be fed without the assistance of an equally "feckless guy"

Jax
      That is true, but he is busy popping them out all around the town; and therein lies the problem.
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
        That is true, but he is busy popping them out all around the town; and therein lies the problem.
        I can honestly say I've not been guilty of that. Now you've got me wondering whether I should feel proud or feel deprived

Jax

Comment

I wonder what the boat Greta sailed across the Atlantic in was built from?

I very much doubt that it would have been carbon neutral GRP.
          Agreed. Just proves that any form of transport
          Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I can honestly say I've not been guilty of that. Now you've got me wondering whether I should feel proud or feel deprived

Jax
            Put it this way Jax, your life is very much less complicated as a result.

I didn't say this but one wife and two children are enough.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Jax

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Comment

I didn't say this but one wife and two children are enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                      Agreed. Just proves that any form of transport is energy hungry, including a sail boat.

I travelled to Oz a year ago. The cost per mile was £00000000000000.04, probably too cheap, but the airline still did Ok I guess....
                      cruise
                      Perhaps with the exception of Shank's Pony……..
                      The big difference in transport is where someone travels on a scheduled flight with 400 other people as opposed to business moguls jetting off in their private planes to have lunch with whoever in some exotic location. The valid need for transport between cities and countries will always be with us, the question lies with the necessity of the journey and how it's undertaken.

My gut feeling is that the situation won't change enough to make any real difference, no matter how much it's discussed and debated until it's too late. Opinions seem to vary whether it's already too late.

As already stated by Zuiko and others, addressing the problem of climate change is fine in most peoples opinions providing it doesn't affect their own daily routine. It would take draconian legislation and harsh penalties by every major country on earth before any worthwhile effect was achieved and sadly, I just can't see that happening. Of course, anything that has even a slight effect is worthwhile doing but I feel as things are now, our future and the future of the upcoming generation is pretty grim.

Jax

Comment

Comment

But this is exactly what I mean - shifting the blame and responsibility onto other groups. We need to be asking not what other people should be doing but what can I do, what can I give up, how can I change? Until we adopt this way of thinking I can see no hope.
                          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Whatever happened to our moral compass?

The secularists have had their own way for a long time now, and look what we have reaped.

Whatever our personal views on the subject we somehow we need to instil a moral compass back into society, for the good of all.

Sometimes we think we are too clever for our own good.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

The big difference in transport is where someone travels on a scheduled flight with 400 other people as opposed to business moguls jetting off in their private planes to have lunch with whoever in some exotic location. The valid need for transport between cities and countries will always be with us, the question lies with the necessity of the journey and how it's undertaken.

My gut feeling is that the situation won't change enough to make any real difference, no matter how much it's discussed and debated until it's too late. Opinions seem to vary whether it's already too late.

As already stated by Zuiko and others, addressing the problem of climate change is fine in most peoples opinions providing it doesn't affect their own daily routine. It would take draconian legislation and harsh penalties by every major country on earth before any worthwhile effect was achieved and sadly, I just can't see that happening. Of course, anything that has even a slight effect is worthwhile doing but I feel as things are now, our future and the future of the upcoming generation is pretty grim.

Jax
                              The problem is our belief that we should strive for economic growth and increased GDP is so ingrained that it is contrary to our instincts to deliberately aim for the exact opposite. It may be possible to develop a greener, more sustainable way of maintaining growth in certain circumstances, but the bottom line is this is not enough and we (that is the whole World) need to adopt policies that will achieve not just a lower rate of growth but an actual long-term reduction in economic activity. One way in which an individual country might accomplish this would be to abandon a successful economic model and adopt an alternative that offers far less opportunity, with less certainty and barriers to trade that are likely to shrink the economy. Now, if only there was a nation willing to give this a try and set an example to others.
                              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                                OK, a start would be to stop giving money and housing to feckless girls simply for popping out more mouths to be fed. It would be a start.
                                What would you suggest we do about these feckless girls and the children they've "popped out" Tim ? Do we build tented camps to house these feckless girls and their children, stop any benefits being paid, sit back and watch the children suffer from malnutrition ? Maybe your solution would be mandatory sterilisation of all males and females over a certain age ? The mind boggles.

Jax

Comment

Working...
                                X