Climate Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Climate Change

On a related subject (the environment and all that), my wife and I enjoyed a fresh salmon dish and some sushi from our local Coop yesterday evening. The sell by date was 20th September (Friday) and we are still alive. Our children wouldn't touch them!
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
      On a related subject (the environment and all that), my wife and I enjoyed a fresh salmon dish and some sushi from our local Coop yesterday evening. The sell by date was 20th September (Friday) and we are still alive. Our children wouldn't touch them!
      Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Apologies Walti.

Would you like me to ask the mod/s to remove the comic strip ?

It was meant to illustrate the point that climate change being in the news is not new, nothing else.

David

Comment

Just delete it if that helps.

I see Greta is quite angry and blames us for stealing her dreams. How dare we...

Not really how to get us onside...…………..
          Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Dewi9 View Post
            Apologies Walti.

Would you like me to ask the mod/s to remove the comic strip ?

It was meant to illustrate the point that climate change being in the news is not new, nothing else.

David
            I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

I wonder what the boat Greta sailed across the Atlantic in was built from?

I very much doubt that it would have been carbon neutral GRP.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

He isn't a narrow minded bigot; he's an Australian.
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Virtually everybody now accepts that climate change is real and that something has to be done about it. Sadly, everyone thinks that someone else is responsible and should be making the sacrifice by changing their lifestyle.

I think we have three choices:-

1) Each and everyone of us makes huge changes to the way we live our lives, virtually giving up air travel and private car ownership, heating our homes, shops and offices far less in winter and not using air conditioning in summer.

2) Agree to make token efforts, which will not halt climate change or prevent the eventual outcome but will slow it down a bit and will defer the problem for another generation.

3) Decide we are going to continue our current behaviour and to Hell with the consequences. Ironically this might be the best solution for most of the other species on the planet. With Humanity extinct they might be able to successfully adapt and thrive in a world that has changed forever.

I fear we will choose option 3 by default, with a little bit of option 2 but not enough to make a difference. But it is a crazy, crazy world we have created for ourselves; in all honesty will anyone really miss it? Maybe we should just accept our inevitable destiny with good grace.
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Stop breeding
                    This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                      Stop breeding
                      Well I for one promise not to breed any more..............
                      Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                        Stop breeding
                        This is good, sound advice but once again we have the problem of everybody thinking that this applies to somebody else. We will only stand a chance if each and every one of us starts to make the necessary sacrifices and adopt the best practices, regardless of what everybody else is doing. But as I say, acting in a selfless and altruistic way is an alien concept to Humanity.
                        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

It's the NIMBY Syndrome.

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                            Virtually everybody now accepts that climate change is real and that something has to be done about it. Sadly, everyone thinks that someone else is responsible and should be making the sacrifice by changing their lifestyle.

I think we have three choices:-
                            We really must adopt Option 1, but that would need big changes in attitude.

Changes in lifestyle are one thing, but far too much of what we do is about outward displays of wealth and success. Far too many people drive oversized cars because they think it makes them appear well-off and successful, even though I suspect many are actually very insecure. Their behaviour on the road would certainly suggest so. In any case their vehicles are almost certainly leased so what does that prove?

Many business flights are totally unnecessary but all too often somebody wants a 'jolly' and to earn some air miles, or else somebody wants to cover their butt by having someone on site to tell them what they could have said in an email.

In an age where we can log on to the internet almost anywhere in the world do we really need to have millions of office workers travelling long distances to work when they could fulfil exactly the same function from their own homes?

I think most people are fairly careful with energy at home, if only to keep the energy bills down, but the waste of energy in the corporate world is an abomination. Anyone who propped their doors and windows open at home in winter with the heating on would be locked up, but high street shops do it all the time.

There are many more examples but when jobs and perceived statuses are at stake nobody is prepared to make the first move.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                              This is good, sound advice but once again we have the problem of everybody thinking that this applies to somebody else. We will only stand a chance if each and every one of us starts to make the necessary sacrifices and adopt the best practices, regardless of what everybody else is doing. But as I say, acting in a selfless and altruistic way is an alien concept to Humanity.

Comment

One of the reasons for the present housing crisis is the sheer number of fragmented families. That must also affect our total energy consumption and emissions.
                                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X