See less

A dog is for life, not just for Brexit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A dog is for life, not just for Brexit.

I used to work for a huge US company so they are singing from my hymn sheet.
    This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
      So do you believe that living your entire life through a small, hand held device and never speaking to another human being is 'progress'?

Or for that matter allowing huge American outfits to destroy towns and jobs whilst bleeding the economy dry?

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
      I used to work for a huge US company so they are singing from my hymn sheet.
      It seems you are possibly singing from their hymn sheet.

As a UK resident apparently residing in sunny Hampshire perhaps you should consider replacing your American hymn sheet with a British version.

Relating to one of your posts on another thread, we in the UK don't usually call the season that follows summer the "Fall" we prefer to use the British term, "Autumn" although I do concede both terms are considered acceptable.

Jax

Comment

Whilst not wanting to defend Amazon, as I understand their employment practices are abominable, surely the issue of the tax they pay (or don’t) is only them taking advantage of pitfalls in this, and other, countries tax laws. Anyone will find a way around a loophole if they can it’s just that the vast multinational companies do it with huge sums of money.

I use social media a bit but probably overuse my phone and iPad at home. Not glued to it when out and about though, I might select a mapping app to log a walk but that’s it. Regularly see young mothers pushing a pram or walking alongside a crying child while they are seemingly utterly engrossed in their phones. WTF is so important and more important than their child?
        In fact, I’d hazard a guess that 80% of people I see when driving to shops or wherever, will be on their phones. Don’t even get me started on the cyclists riding about, not on the expensive cycle path but clogging up the road, headphones in, oblivious to the world around them....

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
          Relating to one of your posts on another thread, we in the UK don't usually call the season that follows summer the "Fall" we prefer to use the British term, "Autumn" although I do concede both terms are considered acceptable.

Jax
          It’s “autumn”!!

Not some imported Americanism. My car has a bonnet and a boot, but neither are made of aluminium.
          It may have been once but right now America isn’t somewhere to look up to. (nor is Britain either, it has to be said).

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
            It’s “autumn”!!

Not some imported Americanism. My car has a bonnet and a boot, but neither are made of aluminium.
            Surely you meant to say 'aluminum'?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
              Surely you meant to say 'aluminum'?

Jim
              I agonized (!) over that but just couldn’t bring myself to type a non-existent word!

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                I agonized (!) over that but just couldn’t bring myself to type a non-existent word!
                But in doing so you sacrificed the punch line!

Jim

Comment

If you type Aluminum into Wikipedia it instantly directs you to Aluminium without asking. Much the same as typing Grauniad.co.uk into a browser - you get The Guardian .
                  Regards
                  Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                    If you type Aluminum into Wikipedia it instantly directs you to Aluminium without asking. Much the same as typing Grauniad.co.uk into a browser - you get The Guardian .
                    But Richard, I have no reason to type it into Wiki, I know what ally is, well close enough without getting into metallurgy.

Comment

It was a general observation Tim, not directed at you specifically.
                      Regards
                      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                        Much the same as typing Grauniad.co.uk into a browser - you get The Guardian .
                        They never could spell!
                        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Say “Aluminium” in America and they look at you in a very strange way
                          Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                            Say “Aluminium” in America and they look at you in a very strange way
                            Like asking for Pease Pudding at the Deli counter in Sainsbury's Plymouth store. I thought they were going to call security!
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

They never could spell!

No, they were famous for their misprunts at one time, hence the nickname, but modern technologies seem to have fixed that. However, recently they ran a story about public transport in Manchester, majoring on bus services in the city. Accompanying the article was a picture of the bus station ... in Liverpool .
                              Regards
                              Richard

Comment

They never could spell!
                                You should have said 'They never cud spel', Nigel!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X