Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

When i was a child

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: When i was a child

    Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    Ahh yes the Vanden Plas, with their Rolls Royce engines. I wonder how many tonnes of CO2 they generated per Kilometre?

    I remember my father brought one home on one occasion. I think it had a four litre engine. Lovey car with proper leather seats and a wonderful leathery smell inside. That was long before all new cars came with the same plasticky smell.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: When i was a child

      The Vanden Plas models were variants on Austin bodies if I remember correctly, and came with top specification. That was in the days before Ghia, Elite or Prestige badges had found their way onto cars.

      The smaller Vanden Plas models had standard Austin/Morris engines I believe, possibly with twin carburettors, but the big Princess model came with the Rolls Royce engine.

      According to Wiki "The Princess is a version of the Austin A99 Westminster produced by BMC from 1959 to 1968, latterly under the Vanden Plas marque.

      The model was launched in October 1959 under the name Princess 3-litre.[1] From July 1960, these vehicles bore the name Vanden Plas Princess 3-litre, Vanden Plas having become a badge-engineered brand in its own right instead of being known as a coachbuilder for cars of other manufacturers. The 3-litre was superseded by the Vanden Plas Princess 4-litre R in 1964.

      The Princess was a great deal smaller and less than 44 per cent of the price of the older Princess IV Saloon, which was also to continue until 1968.
      "

      ---------------

      Naughty Nigel


      Difficult is worth doing

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: When i was a child

        Wasn’t there a more modern Princess in the 70s? I remember working with someone who had one and it was a total POS!

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: When i was a child

          In all the nostalgia, don't forget about the Metro and the Allegro Vanden Plas.
          Best Regards
          Bill

          The nearest I have to a home page.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
          They're Watching You!

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: When i was a child

            Originally posted by peak4 View Post
            In all the nostalgia, don't forget about the Metro and the Allegro Vanden Plas.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: When i was a child

              Yes, there was the 'wedge' shaped Austin Princess, which was actually quite a decent and well designed car, but like many British Leyland vehicles it suffered from appalling build quality and an unbelievably militant workforce led by Red Robbo.

              I think there was a Vanden Plas version of the Princess with the usual refinements, although reliability was no better.


              ---------------

              Naughty Nigel


              Difficult is worth doing

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: When i was a child

                Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                Agreed, although many of the makes such as Austin, Morris, Wolsey, MG, Riley, etc. came from the same factories. Likewise Hillman and Sunbeam and some others who were part of the Rootes group.

                And if you crashed one of those cars at anything above about 20 MPH you were dead!
                But almost nobody owned a car! (1950s).

                Harold
                The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: When i was a child

                  ...and a Brownie was something you took pics with (our 1st family camera way back when) not something you had with your cappachino in a chain coffee cafe (Starbucks etc)...

                  also we had our milk and some groceries delivered by an electric float van, way ahead of our time there...

                  you could buy a train ticket on the day which didn't cost you an arm and a leg and people where on hand to help you into the carriage and give you sound directions...

                  older people were respected in the community......

                  cinemas showed 2 films not 1 and if you were lucky when those that came out of the emergency doors you could get in for free !! (not that I did that of course)

                  you could walk safely to school and back (3 miles per day for me, or 6 if you went home for lunch)
                  OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                  I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                  www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: When i was a child

                    Nigel...my Dad bought a green Van D Plas version of that very car in the late 1970's was a bit of a rust bucket

                    Peter
                    OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                    www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: When i was a child

                      Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                      But almost nobody owned a car! (1950s).

                      Harold
                      Maybe compared to us, Nigel is just a Young Whippersnapper and a child of the 70s ?

                      Jax

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: When i was a child

                        That was the one Nigel, thanks.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: When i was a child

                          Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
                          ...and a Brownie was something you took pics with (our 1st family camera way back when) not something you had with your cappachino in a chain coffee cafe (Starbucks etc)...

                          also we had our milk and some groceries delivered by an electric float van, way ahead of our time there...

                          you could buy a train ticket on the day which didn't cost you an arm and a leg and people where on hand to help you into the carriage and give you sound directions...

                          older people were respected in the community......

                          cinemas showed 2 films not 1 and if you were lucky when those that came out of the emergency doors you could get in for free !! (not that I did that of course)

                          you could walk safely to school and back (3 miles per day for me, or 6 if you went home for lunch)

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: When i was a child

                            Don't use the chain coffee places so don't know what the 'taste' is like i'll take your word for it ...water i take from home in my own container, never buy bottled stuff and haven't do so for a long time..

                            wasn't going to mention ladies driving kiddies to school..(men do too) but yes it was very safe back then...

                            Also BBC televised the news not an opinion...

                            Peter
                            OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                            I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                            www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: When i was a child

                              Just realised i'm celebrating an anniversary today...50 years to the day that I passed my driving test, 50 years on and no points on my licence ever, no insurance claims for prangs ever, and over 1.5million miles (est) of driving safely....not sure how things will fair in the coming years with yet more and more manic drivers on the road.

                              Peter
                              OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                              I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                              www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: When i was a child

                                Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
                                Just realised i'm celebrating an anniversary today...50 years to the day that I passed my driving test, 50 years on and no points on my licence ever, no insurance claims for prangs ever, and over 1.5million miles (est) of driving safely....not sure how things will fair in the coming years with yet more and more manic drivers on the road.

                                Peter
                                My late father used to boast about his exemplary accident free driving record at almost every family gathering. That is, until somebody asked him how many accidents he'd caused.

                                Jax

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X