Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

According to government legislation the sale of ICE (internal combustion engine) cars will be illegal from 2040 onwards, or earlier if environmental pressure groups get their way. Lorries, buses and even ferries will also become increasingly reliant on electricity.

There is pressure on government to electrify more and more of our railway network, and more recently, moves to ban the installation of mains gas supplies to newbuild houses for at least five years after completion - all in a bid to force householders to cook and heat with electricity which is claimed to be more eco-friendly than gas, but costs around five times as much per KW/Hr of energy.

Then yesterday the near simultaneous failure of two generators; one of which was an offshore wind farm with too much wind, resulted in paralysis of several areas around the country including much of central London, Ipswich, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and our railway network. BBC Report

Rather than rely entirely on electricity for our energy needs I would rather have more independence and redundancy in our supply network. We have seen that a bit of wind can paralyse our railways by bringing down short lengths of overhead power lines - a problem that diesels simply don't have, whilst even short term power cuts tend to have much longer term effects.

I would also have thought that there were more intelligent ways of reducing load on the grid than by randomly cutting off whole areas of the country.

With more and more demand on the grid things will only get worse. I cannot see the point of imposing fines on the National Grid or individual generators when it is in their interests to maintain supply and sell electricity.
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

Our energy strategy as a country is nonexistent.

We have civil servants and government ministers all trying to be green without thinking through the consequences.

No one seems to be prepared to invest in building the right infrastructure.

Instead, they make knee jerk decisions like hitting Diesel car owners with extra taxes after spending the last 10 years encouraging people to drive them. Then they act surprised that the car industry is struggling.
    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Good thinking there MJ. Nice to see you've got your prorities in order.

Jax

Comment

Even going geen has it's long-term implications... perhaps longships and tall mast sailing is the 'green way' way to go??? Instead of Land Rovers we will be using Land Schooners. Should make the school runs much more interesting methinks? The search for blue gold https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49265455
          It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Careful... you could become what is known as an 'arty-farty.'
            It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

https://www.powermag.com/high-volume...es-take-shape/
              Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Alternatively, you could attach a mini wind turbine to the hot shoe. Then you can take pictures outside as long as the winds blowing. If there is no wind or you are indoors, then just take a deep breath and blow on the turbine while you take the picture.
                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                  Our energy strategy as a country is nonexistent.

We have civil servants and government ministers all trying to be green without thinking through the consequences.

No one seems to be prepared to invest in building the right infrastructure.

Instead, they make knee jerk decisions like hitting Diesel car owners with extra taxes after spending the last 10 years encouraging people to drive them. Then they act surprised that the car industry is struggling.
                  You have it spot on there.

Likewise closing down large parts of the railway network and building new houses where there is no public transport and then wondering why nobody uses public transport.

Fifty years on from Beeching they realise their mistake and are taxing us for it!
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

The simple answer is probably, but more that we expect it to be on all the time and delivered to us

We don't worry so much

Mind you we have 20 cubic metres of seasoned wood for the stove, a few paraffin and gas stoves and lamps for our camping, a solar panel on the camper van and a decent 4G signal outside if the power to the router is off

Regards
                    Andy
                    My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                    4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                    m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                    FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                    The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
                    http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                    http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                    https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                    http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Regardless of the fuel used (diesel, petrol, LPG, hydrogen, wind, electricity, water turbine) you will always need a portable method of storage and supply for when the delivery chain mechanism fails eg: generator failure or other outage, lack of wind, disrupted power lines, broken gas mains. That is why diesel, petrol, and avgas are so useful. They are reasonably lightweight, enegry dense, and can be stored easily. I can not yet imagine a goods train of hundreds of tons being pulled by batteries let alone a passenger plane. You can use pumped water storage to manage supply/demand and storage but its not very portable.
                      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                      Learn something new every day

Comment

Steampunk here we come

Comment

Clock work cameras with gyros to cut down vibrations?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                          Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Or you could point your lens at the sun to recharge?

Harold
                            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Using semaphore to run forums such as this would slow down the build up of dissent
                              This space for rent

Comment

Working...
                              X