Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

Not only had the trains failed but the toilets on many stopped working and there was no air conditioning. Needless to say the windows no longer open on newer trains. (I think Mk 3 carriages in HST sets were the last to be built with opening windows in the vestibules. Those windows are currently being removed as part of compliance with disability laws.)
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

When trains had sliding (up and down) windows, and even those with leather straps, did idiot people smash their heads on bridges, like happens occasionally now, or was the infrastructure just too far from the tracks for it to happen?
      I realise idiots will idiot but this is surely a case of the nanny state marching ever onwards.
      (Says the chap who, on a footplate ride, on a narrow gauge Welsh railway, managed to bash his elbow on a rather solid stone wall. So yes firsthand knowledge of idiots idioting!)

Comment

The figures quoted for Hornsea don't quite add up, unless these refer to the realistic average output power over time. I arrived at my figure by simply dividing the projected power output by the total number of turbines, but that is probably a long way out.

Anyhow, my point is that the largest wind turbines currently produce a maximum of around 3 MW each. Even if forty of the Hornsea turbines are up and running by now their maximum total power output will only be 120 MW, which shouldn't be enough to make the grid fall over.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
          When trains had sliding (up and down) windows, and even those with leather straps, did idiot people smash their heads on bridges, like happens occasionally now, or was the infrastructure just too far from the tracks for it to happen?
          I realise idiots will idiot but this is surely a case of the nanny state marching ever onwards.
          (Says the chap who, on a footplate ride, on a narrow gauge Welsh railway, managed to bash his elbow on a rather solid stone wall. So yes firsthand knowledge of idiots idioting!)
          I don't think the infrastructure has moved or even changed much over the past fifty years. We still have the original semaphore signals over parts of the network (Glory be!)

Train speeds have increased in recent decades although I suspect hitting your head on a hard, immovable object at 80 MPH would have exactly the same effect as hitting your head on the same object at 125 MPH.

We have to face the reality that the nanny state can only do so much to prevent natural selection and Darwinism taking its course.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

What I want to know is what the engineers have to do to start an electric locomotive.

Harold
            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
              What I want to know is what the engineers have to do to start an electric locomotive.

Harold
              Put the key in the ignition switch and press the start button
              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                Your second para sums it up perfectly. "green policy Du Jour". That's certainly a major challenge to keep up with the latest fashion.

With that size of load the company was I am guessing either in the Steel, Aluminium or Glass industry or ? How did they make such a huge saving? I would be very interested to know.
                I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Harold
                    As I understand it the pantographs need compressed air to keep them in the raised position. The air compressors need electricity to maintain the air supply. A short term power failure wouldn't cause a problem but after a few minutes the air supply becomes exhausted and the pantographs drop.

I am not sure how the pantographs are raised on a non-powered train, and whether hand pumping is still an option, but the usual procedure is to send a diesel locomotive to provide electric power and/or to haul the failed train to its destination. That is straightforward if only one or two trains fail but becomes rather more complicated where the whole network is at a standstill.

I believe there were also problems with signalling owing to the lack of power. Semaphore signals would run for a week or more on a single fill of lamp oil!

I suppose this is what we call progress.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                        All these charges are also made within your domestic bill, but your supplier averages them all out to give you a standard unit price that covers most of these charges.

Surely all this cannot be the reason the government wants us all to have Smart Meters. Can it? . [/cynic]
                        Regards
                        Richard

Comment

Harold
                          Well, it seems the problem was not the pantographs after all but rather the train's computer systems which respond badly to being shut down incorrectly.

Specifically the BR Class 700 and 717, built by Siemens in Germany, is operated by computer. There are backup batteries but these have limited life and it seems are not always replaced when they should be.

The end result was that (so I am told) a total of 45 Class 700 and 717 trains were stranded outside London Kings Cross and St Pancras stations alone so nothing else could move.

There may also have been a short delay whilst signalling systems switched to emergency power, during which time all signals will have been red.
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                            Surely all this cannot be the reason the government wants us all to have Smart Meters. Can it? . [/cynic]
                            What we want is smart government. Some hope!

Harold
                            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                              Well, it seems the problem was not the pantographs after all but rather the train's computer systems which respond badly to being shut down incorrectly.

So much for fail-safe design, that's appalling. It would never have happened in the BREL days . Maybe they used Raspberry Pi computers, you have to shut those down properly before removing power otherwise you risk data loss. But you can't have everything for thirty quid!
                              Regards
                              Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                                So much for fail-safe design, that's appalling. It would never have happened in the BREL days . Maybe they used Raspberry Pi computers, you have to shut those down properly before removing power otherwise you risk data loss. But you can't have everything for thirty quid!
                                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X