Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Portrait of Humanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portrait of Humanity

[/CENTER]

Today, I can finally spill the beans having waited since mid-February for the organiser's embargo to lift. This is Samy, my entry into 'Portrait of Humanity' organised by British Journal of Photography. I knew in February that I had reached the final 200 images to be included in a book and then later that I'd reached the final 50 that will be exhibited later this year in the States, Australia, Croatia and Nigeria. Taken with my trusty EM5 Mk 1 with the Pany 12-35 f/2.8

This is one of my all time favourite images. We are going Samy and I, to the 'Portrait of Humanity' launch party later this month, can't wait!

There were some cracking images submitted, you can see them here:

http://www.portraitofhumanity.co/cat...type=selection

David
    The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Re: Portrait of Humanity

Congratulations!
    Steve

Comment

Well done, congratulations.

Comment

Congratulations!

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ty-in-pictures
        Stuff from Cuba
        More stuff from Cuba
        It all started here

Comment

That's great news David, congratulations.
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Congratulations.
            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
            Learn something new every day

Comment

Brilliant news, well done David.

John

Comment

well done
                regards
                Andy
                My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
                http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Congratulations on your success

Thought for a minute it was our Eurovision entry

Comment

Fantastic. Well done, and good luck (I assume there’s an opportunity of further progression up the list?).
                    Regards,
                    Mark

------------------------------
                    http://www.microcontrast.com
                    Too much Oly gear.
                    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

A bit edgy for my taste, but a great image nonetheless. Good luck!!
                      Paul
                      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                      flickr
                      Portfolio Site
                      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
                        Fantastic. Well done, and good luck (I assume there’s an opportunity of further progression up the list?).
                        Apparently there is $10,000 to share between the first three but as far as I know details will be revealed at the launch party 23 May. Not daring to hope but that said, i have a project in mind that is more or less inexhaustible in its scope and very accessible. My wife came up with the concept but is resisting my pinching it and flattery isn’t working - yet.

I shared my news with a friend Gabrielle Motola who is an Olympus Visionary. I just got an image back from her (she lives in Iceland) taken during the recent Extinction Rebellion, it’s of Samy the chap in my photo. How about that for a coincidence? By the way, Gabrielle is a very fine photographer and writer, well worth a peek at her site.

Thank you to everyone who have sent their good wishes, I’m still in disbelief.

David
                        Last edited by Crazy Dave; 10th May 2019, 04:01 AM. Reason: Correction
                        The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                          A bit edgy for my taste, but a great image nonetheless. Good luck!!
                          Hi Paul

Thanks, your comments, always worthwhile. If you feel the image is edgy, I believe that i have succeeded. If possible i try to go beyond my comfort zone and have attempted to photograph people from backgrounds very different to my own. Groups of young black men, all sorts of occupations including none and from all over the world. Mostly, taken in my favourite ‘hotspot’. It’s what makes me pick up my camera and it has been life enhancing. Now, if only i could also take landscapes like you!

David

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Dave View Post
                            Hi Paul

Thanks, your comments, always worthwhile. If you feel the image is edgy, I believe that i have succeeded. Now, if only i could also take landscapes like you!

David
                            That is a very interesting and important comment David. When we talk about photography we usually end up talking about the end result, but I think the act of doing it delivers a lot more. For example I am a crap landscape photographer but feel I have a far better appreciation of landscape as a direct result of having tried to photograph it. Somehow you have managed to pull off both - growing from the experience and getting fantastic results!

John

Comment

Working...
                            X