Will Brits Take Action To Fight Climate Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Brits Take Action To Fight Climate Change

Let's assume for one minute the UK becomes carbon neutral by 2050, do you think the US and China are going to copy us. But what about the methane problem? Little is said about the extreme danger this presents, being approx 80x time more effective in increasing the greenhouse effect.
    Steve

on flickr

Comment

There's no harm in the UK setting an example and doing what we can. Somebody has to be first, and since we invented the Industrial Revolution perhaps we have some responsibility to start clearing up the fallout.
      Regards
      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
        Let's assume for one minute the UK becomes carbon neutral by 2050, do you think the US and China are going to copy us. But what about the methane problem? Little is said about the extreme danger this presents, being approx 80x time more effective in increasing the greenhouse effect.
        Perhaps then we should be capturing methane gas and using it rather than fracking for it?
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
          But what about the methane problem? Little is said about the extreme danger this presents, being approx 80x time more effective in increasing the greenhouse effect.
          I seem to recall reading that jet engines play a part in gobbling up methane gas. In which case all the holiday makers, football teams, celebs, politicians etc. etc. etc. jetting all over the world, will relax and feel justified in the knowledge they are doing their bit in the fight against Global Warming.

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
            I seem to recall reading that jet engines play a part in gobbling up methane gas. In which case all the holiday makers, football teams, celebs, politicians etc. etc. etc. jetting all over the world, will relax and feel justified in the knowledge they are doing their bit in the fight against Global Warming.

Jax
            Yes I believe this is true. I don't know how efficient jet aircraft are at burning methane, what the concentration of methane is in the atmosphere or whether there are concentrations at specific altitudes.

Concorde was claimed to damage the ozone layer owing to its cruising altitude. Perhaps if jet aircraft were to cruise at a certain altitude it would help to clean up methane.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
              Anyway, problem is solved......or a solution has been found.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48069663

Just in case you thought so, I was not being too serious.....
              Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                There's no harm in the UK setting an example and doing what we can. Somebody has to be first, and since we invented the Industrial Revolution perhaps we have some responsibility to start clearing up the fallout.
                I quote Brian Cox (in spirit, not word for word you understand). More should be spent on nuclear fusion R&D. It would solve the world’s energy crisis, and the water / and thus food issues awaiting us. 2.5% of GDP spent per country world-wide and used effectively we could prevent thermal run-away.
                Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                  Yes I believe this is true. I don't know how efficient jet aircraft are at burning methane, what the concentration of methane is in the atmosphere or whether there are concentrations at specific altitudes.

Concorde was claimed to damage the ozone layer owing to its cruising altitude. Perhaps if jet aircraft were to cruise at a certain altitude it would help to clean up methane.
                  What about aircraft contrails adding to cloud cover, providing a thermal blanket.
                  Steve

on flickr

Comment

Nope, sorry, I can't remember any of those, in fact I can't remember life before WW2 let alone WW1.

Jax
                    Neither can I remember WW2 being born at the end of 1945.
                    Try speaking to people who lived during the real austerity of post WW2 Europe or read some accounts of life as lead by people who were not well off or articulate.
                    Day to day life for most people was much more difficult than it is today but the rosy glow of nostalgia seems to rub out that reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                      Would certainly do no harm but globally would be insignificant. I can't imagine that our actions would influence the governments and dictatorships of Africa, Asia or the Americas who all want more of what we have.

Comment

Originally posted by chorleyjeff View Post
                        Neither can I remember WW2 being born at the end of 1945.
                        Try speaking to people who lived during the real austerity of post WW2 Europe or read some accounts of life as lead by people who were not well off or articulate.
                        Day to day life for most people was much more difficult than it is today but the rosy glow of nostalgia seems to rub out that reality.
                        I appreciate threads always drift off topic but i'm struggling to find the relevance in respect of Climate Change or anything else for that matter

Jax

Comment

With all this gloom & doom it might be of interest to know that 'Mother Nature' would appear to be on top of things... forward planning. Something we humans appear from a recent and ongoing fiasco, just one, out of the many, haven't a clue what it's about.

Back from extinction: Been there, done it and back again... and again. https://news.sky.com/story/scientist...-dead-11715532
                          It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Yes, of course ! Just make sure your life insurance covers total planetary destruction

Jax

Comment

Back on climate change...
                              Are we to expect electric 50T lorries on the road, and 300 passenger electric aircraft flying.
                              If these are exempt after 2050, it’s going to pile a load of pressure elsewhere.

Electric container ships, or back to sails I wonder.
                              Steve

on flickr

Comment

Back to shipping freight on the railways would be a start.

Comment

Working...
                                X