Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

    I'm not a member, but just opened the "Cambridge Independent" to find that along with a few local businesses and the paper, Olympus are sponsoring the exhibition of competition winners this coming week, so I think I may stroll along to see what all the fuss is about!
    I didn’t get where I am today....

  • #2
    Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

    Looking forward to the reportage!
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

      Yes it will be interesting to hear what goes on.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

      Comment


      • #4
        Mark Johnson

        My Sailing Page

        My Flickr

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

          Originally posted by Walti View Post
          I'm not a member, but just opened the "Cambridge Independent" to find that along with a few local businesses and the paper, Olympus are sponsoring the exhibition of competition winners this coming week, so I think I may stroll along to see what all the fuss is about!
          Some twisting of the excellent David Smith’s arm was required last year...

          If anyone’s interested to come, here’s a link to the club’s public page with details of venue and opening times: http://www.cambcc.org.uk/
          (Formatting of that looks a bit odd on some browsers, but you’ll get the idea)
          Regards,
          Mark

          ------------------------------
          http://www.microcontrast.com
          Too much Oly gear.
          Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
          Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

            Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
            More importantly...

            When are you going to be there? I'm thinking of popping in tomorrow afternoon...
            I didn’t get where I am today....

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

              Originally posted by Walti View Post
              More importantly...

              When are you going to be there? I'm thinking of popping in tomorrow afternoon...
              Regards,
              Mark

              ------------------------------
              http://www.microcontrast.com
              Too much Oly gear.
              Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
              Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

                Strolled along to the exhibition this lunchtime, spent a while looking at all the photos, and came away with a slightly unexpected view of it all...

                Absolutely ALL the photos exhibited were without doubt excellent, but I came away somehow disappointed!

                The photos we all share on here were equally as good and in a few cases better, I think it was that all the photos, of whatever subject were "standard photos" of that subject, there was nothing there (with three marked exceptions) that stood out and said "look at me" so the wildlife photos were all excellent wildlife photos and far better than anything I've done, and a few of the winning photos were because they were unusual subjects rather than different photos.... and so on.

                The three marked exceptions for me were photographs of a feeling, for want of a better description, they were how with your imagination you'd have done a water colour to capture the essence of the location.

                If you get a chance to visit the exhibition it's well worth it as there are some stunningly good images there, and I'm glad I went as it's confirmed to me that I'm heading in the right direction with my own photography, but I have a need to do something and see something "different" not just better!
                I didn’t get where I am today....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

                  Glad you enjoyed it, Paul.

                  Yes, it is of course full of what I call "British Club Photography". I.e. images that score well in competitions, with all that goes along with that (traditional, a bit formulaic, usually brilliant 'craft' but not much 'art'). Even the so-called creative stuff is only of some strictly-defined types and doesn't scare any horses.

                  Having said all that, I'd argue that anyone wanting to do art photography had better get their craft up to scratch beforehand, and club photography is probably the easiest and cheapest way to do that for anyone who can cope with the environment

                  Some perfectly valid genres of photography almost always score poorly in club competitions so never get in to an exhibition like this - I don't bother entering 99% of my street photography, but I do put in my wildlife stuff.
                  Regards,
                  Mark

                  ------------------------------
                  http://www.microcontrast.com
                  Too much Oly gear.
                  Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                  Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

                    Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
                    Glad you enjoyed it, Paul.

                    Yes, it is of course full of what I call "British Club Photography". I.e. images that score well in competitions, with all that goes along with that (traditional, a bit formulaic, usually brilliant 'craft' but not much 'art'). Even the so-called creative stuff is only of some strictly-defined types and doesn't scare any horses.

                    Having said all that, I'd argue that anyone wanting to do art photography had better get their craft up to scratch beforehand, and club photography is probably the easiest and cheapest way to do that for anyone who can cope with the environment

                    Some perfectly valid genres of photography almost always score poorly in club competitions so never get in to an exhibition like this - I don't bother entering 99% of my street photography, but I do put in my wildlife stuff.
                    What he said up there! ^ 😜

                    I was told that you had one of your photos on the DPI display, but I missed it!
                    I didn’t get where I am today....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

                      Originally posted by Walti View Post
                      What he said up there! ^ 😜

                      I was told that you had one of your photos on the DPI display, but I missed it!
                      Regards,
                      Mark

                      ------------------------------
                      http://www.microcontrast.com
                      Too much Oly gear.
                      Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                      Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

                        Well done that man.


                        Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                        Ed

                        What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

                          I didn’t get where I am today....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

                            Excellent! It's a big club (200 members) which means it doesn't get dominated by any one clique and there are sub-groups doing all sorts of varied stuff (even a street photography group).

                            There are of course a few 'characters' which I can fill you in about at some stage, but overall I've made some very good friends over the past years and its educational ethos is strong.

                            It does mean the technical standard is extremely high and a bit daunting (especially in wildlife), but as we know there's a lot more to photography than that. The club won the national PGAB print championships last year.

                            You spoke to Nick Bowman I believe (big jovial guy with glasses), who has run the Exhibition for the past few years, but is now handing it on.
                            Regards,
                            Mark

                            ------------------------------
                            http://www.microcontrast.com
                            Too much Oly gear.
                            Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                            Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Cambridge Photography Club Olympus News!

                              Inspired by the different photos I saw (and entered in this months competition!)

                              This is a view of the Black Hills/Brecon Beacons in Wales:



                              EDIT: PS deliberately taken to try and get the colours in thirds as well (but cropped to achieve it!)
                              I didn’t get where I am today....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X