Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Indiscreet "special" phone charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiscreet "special" phone charges

Kevin

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Re: Indiscreet "special" phone charges

Did BT say you can be charged for receiving a call that is not answered thats got to be wrong surely?

If you answer it and then immediately hang up then OK fine there is a charge because you have accepted it. But if it just rings and no answer then they cant charge you or people would be inundated with scam calls.
      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Being ex telecomms I can confirm that mobiles are different with respect to charging than landlines. The latter charges only if answered but mobiles are once it is connected and rings.

Whether or not we agree with that is another discussion but that is the way that it is.

Another, and I think more naughty fact, on mobiles is text. That is in effect a zero cost option as it uses, or at least it used to, ch 16 in the 32 ch PCM and was a happy accident. Charging anything above a pittance is questionable in my view. This may have changed now of course as I have been out of that area for some time so I'm open to update.

Hec
        I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

Thanks for explaining. How can they get away with that on mobiles?
          How do you stop a scammer ?
          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Comment

Thanks for your explanation Hec. As you say, whether we agree with the mobile charging is another question!

I did a quick bit of googling earlier and it does seem that these chargeable 0300 numbers have mystified and aggravated countless other folks too....

Surely the regulator could make BT disclose exactly what numbers are affected rather than the statement I was given "yes, 03 numbers are free but not all the numbers. There is an exception as some of the numbers are registered as service numbers. These non geographical numbers are chargeable."

But the point is I never knowingly dialled the 0300 number in the first place, and as they wouldn't tell me what the "service" they have charged for was I am none the wiser! But I can't help wondering if it was to do with 1572.
              Kevin

Comment

This site is quite useful:

https://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

Jim

Comment

Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

What a rip-off. The whole Mobile ecosystem needs exposing.
                    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I remember my old grandad said to me many, many years ago "you get owt for nowt in life".

Now I guess they just conceal that fact very deep in the small print that most of use never read and wait for the complaints from those that can be bothered.
                      Kevin

Comment

You should not be charged "special rates" for 030xx numbers...

"03 and 030 numbers: UK-wide geographic numbers
                        Many organisations use 03 numbers as an alternative to more expensive 08 numbers.

Calls cost no more than calls to geographic numbers (01 or 02) and must be included in inclusive minutes and discount schemes in the same way. Calls from landlines and mobiles are included in free call packages.

030 numbers were specially designed for not-for-profit organisations, charities and public bodies to offer consumers a single point of contact nationally. The BBC, the Met Police, the RSPCA, Oxfam, Relate, some local councils, Ofcom and a number of government departments use 030 numbers."

This is from Ofcom:
                        https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tele...ll-really-cost
                        Steve

Comment

The whole charging scheme for telecomms devices defies all logic. In a sane world we would be charged by bytes of data we Tx/Rx - that way we could treat all usage, be it voice calls (which of course are digitally carried), text, internet etc as all the same. Maybe it'll happen one day.
                          Paul
                          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                          flickr
                          Portfolio Site
                          Instagram

Comment

I don't think that is correct Ed. SMS messages are free on most contracts. If a message exceeds 256 characters (IIRC) it becomes two messages, which again are free. However, if you send pictures or emojis with a SMS message it becomes a multimedia message which is pricey.

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                            The whole charging scheme for telecomms devices defies all logic. In a sane world we would be charged by bytes of data we Tx/Rx - that way we could treat all usage, be it voice calls (which of course are digitally carried), text, internet etc as all the same. Maybe it'll happen one day.
                            That could be expensive when SWMBO calls senior management. If they were charged on word count it would cost a fortune.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

If a message exceeds 256 characters (IIRC) it becomes two messages, which again are free. However, if you send pictures or emojis with a SMS message it becomes a multimedia message which is pricey.
                              The SMS character limit is 160. As you say, if you exceed that, they are sent as multiple texts, which (in theory) should also be free if you have a large text message allowance. Vodafone (and others, I assume) offer unlimited texts on some of their contracts.

However, if a large message has to be cut up into more than two texts, Vodafone then class it as a multimedia message and you have to pay.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X