Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Keyless Car Technology Unsafe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyless Car Technology Unsafe?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...security-tests

This is about relay attack car theft.

Harold
    The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Re: Keyless Car Technology Unsafe?

Scumbags will try to attack and steal anything, nothing is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
      Scumbags will try to attack and steal anything, nothing is safe.
      Earlier this week out nextdoor neighbour had the catalytic converter removed from his car which was parked on the pavement of well-lit major road overnight. They also slashed his water hoses just to be more unpleasant.

Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

and who said the scrap metal dealers were so much more trustworthy nowadays since the laws changed. They must still be taking the cats from the scum.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
          Earlier this week out nextdoor neighbour had the catalytic converter removed from his car which was parked on the pavement of well-lit major road overnight. They also slashed his water hoses just to be more unpleasant.

Harold
          Having had a fully stocked van stolen some years ago, off the driveway overnight, I can imagine just how your neighbour feels. Tim's comment is correct but I can't help feeling the current reliance and popularity of technological smart devices used in vehicle security and now in the home is a very bad move. Any device invented by any company can be outsmarted by an equally clever technologically proficient Toe Rag intent on theft.

The other problem is, until and if this country ceases to listen to the opinions of the Do-Good fraternity and the like, builds several new large prisons and introduces penalties that fit the crimes, things will continue to get worse.

Why on earth would a Toe Rag want a real job when he can steal a car, sell it on or strip it for spares and make several thousand pounds for a few hours work ? Content in the fact if he gets caught it will most likely mean a fine, community service, or at the very worst, a few months in jail.

The teenager who tortured, raped and murdered the poor little girl on Bute has just received a 27 yr min. sentance which means we all now have to pay to keep him well fed, healthy, amused and happy for the next 30 years ! Not my idea of justice in any way whatever.

Jax

Comment

I know we didn’t have anything like the sort of tech we have now 50 years ago but was the ordinary ‘man in the street’ as liable to be a victim of petty (or not so petty) crime as it would seem some are now?
            I’ve always lived in a relatively rural / small town area but it feels like crime was different all those years ago with less crime against the individual and perhaps more against businesses. Or am I completely missing the big picture?

Comment

The big picture is, unless government acts and introduces realistic penalties we will find people taking the law into their own hands. I can honestly envisage this country descending into anarchy eventually due to the massive increases in serious crime, although admittedly not in my lifetime.

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                The big picture is, unless government acts and introduces realistic penalties we will find people taking the law into their own hands. I can honestly envisage this country descending into anarchy eventually due to the massive increases in serious crime, although admittedly not in my lifetime.

Jax

Comment

and who said the scrap metal dealers were so much more trustworthy nowadays since the laws changed. They must still be taking the cats from the scum.
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I thought the precious metals in each cat were worth the effort (very little risk it would seem)

Comment

I thought the precious metals in each cat were worth the effort (very little risk it would seem)
                      They are worth far more as working catalytic converters.

Also, quite a few 'yoofs' like to 'de-cat' their cars to improve performance, and have been getting away with this for years. The tougher new MOT tests mean that the catalytic converters now need to be refitted.
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

Edit: Durham Constabulary conducted an exercise sponsored by Aviva Insurance whereby 'illegal' cars on the public highway were seized and either sold to raise revenue or more often crushed. Not only were the roads safer as a result but crime was reportedly reduced because criminals had no means of travelling to commit crimes.

Comment

Following a break in at a local council depot where over 15 cats were ripped off vehicles using angle grinders, it was announced the precious metals were the reason for the thefts.

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                            They are worth far more as working catalytic converters.

Also, quite a few 'yoofs' like to 'de-cat' their cars to improve performance, and have been getting away with this for years. The tougher new MOT tests mean that the catalytic converters now need to be refitted.
                            See other post! Those unemployed yoofs (innit!) will just pop it back on for the test then remove it once home again. There should be random visits from PCSOs to check and impound if necessary.

Comment

Those unemployed yoofs (innit!) will just pop it back on for the test then remove it once home again.
                              Not if they have sold the catalytic converter on eBay in the meantime.

MOT's only happen once a year which is well beyond the forward planning ability of your average Chav, innit!
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                              X