Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Postage Stamps to Go Up Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Postage Stamps to Go Up Next Week

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
    Our kindly Postperson (being correct here) says there is no real difference in 1st and 2nd class !!

Peter
    I'm not so sure about that. We send out a lot of post using the First Class Recorded (Signed For) service. As it is tracked we can easily found out when it is delivered, and in most cases it is delivered next day although there have been some odd exceptions.

We don't send much second class, but second class mail that we receive usually takes two or three days. However, I think it depends when the mail is posted.
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
      Our kindly Postperson (being correct here) says there is no real difference in 1st and 2nd class !!
      I have never understood, and will never understand, the business case for storing second class mail to delay delivery. Second class mail, including packages, almost always reaches me the second day after posting.

I don't know whether it is regional or national but Saturday deliveries may cease, except for packages, which will rely on voluntary overtime. That is from our Postie.

Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
        We don't send much second class, but second class mail that we receive usually takes two or three days. However, I think it depends when the mail is posted.
        You have a choice of posting times? Our only outgoing post is at 7am. There is an afternoon one from outside the local Post Office, half a mile away.

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
          I have never understood, and will never understand, the business case for storing second class mail to delay delivery. Second class mail, including packages, almost always reaches me the second day after posting.

I don't know whether it is regional or national but Saturday deliveries may cease, except for packages, which will rely on voluntary overtime. That is from our Postie.

Harold
          I don't think the mail is stored as such; more a case that First Class is prioritised over Second Class, or 'Standard Class' as BR would call it.

If a lorry (or lorries) leave processing hubs loaded with mainly First Class post it wouldn't make sense to half-fill another lorry with Second Class post. In that case I would expect any remaining Second Class to be dispatched on the next lorry with spare capacity.

I am not entirely sure that we have a daily mail delivery service any more as there are some days that I don't see a Postie at all. It could be that if there are very few First Class letters to be delivered that Postie is redeployed elsewhere.

You have a choice of posting times? Our only outgoing post is at 7am. There is an afternoon one from outside the local Post Office, half a mile away.

Harold
          I was thinking more of the day of the week than the time on any particular day. We have two collections from our village Post Office; one around Noon and a second collection at about 5 O'clock.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
            I don't think the mail is stored as such; more a case that First Class is prioritised over Second Class, or 'Standard Class' as BR would call it.

If a lorry (or lorries) leave processing hubs loaded with mainly First Class post it wouldn't make sense to half-fill another lorry with Second Class post. In that case I would expect any remaining Second Class to be dispatched on the next lorry with spare capacity.

I think that was the historical case. There have been at least two national Royal Mail exercises, in the last (?) decade, of closing down local sorting offices and establishing regional hubs. Our local mail travels 40 miles to the nearest hub and 40 miles back for delivery.

Harold

Comment

I think that was the historical case. There have been at least two national Royal Mail exercises, in the last (?) decade, of closing down local sorting offices and establishing regional hubs. Our local mail travels 40 miles to the nearest hub and 40 miles back for delivery.

Harold
              That is the same for us. Our regional hub is at Team Valley in Gateshead, about thirty miles away. As far as I know Darlington sorting office is just a collection point nowadays. Post used to travel between regional hubs by rail but I don't think that happens any more.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Did she stick one on you?

Harold
                That may have been preferable to the Po Face Treatment. Not to mention beans on soggy toast for the evening meal !

If Harold had put the date in the header non of this would have happened

Darkroom

Comment

Working...
                X