Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

I need a fix...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a fix...

Please don't throw me out when all I need is a fix?

Why this man will fix your broken stuff for free https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/storie...stuff-for-free

Find a repair cafe near you... https://repaircafe.org/en/visit/
    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Re: I need a fix...

I cut my teeth in electronics repair as an apprentice by fixing stuff that people brought in. I learnt so much, branched out into modifying things and kept current with the tech of the time. I could solder the tiniest components without a shake, read the tiniest writing on said tiny components and generally fix pretty much anything. TTL and CMOS ICs didn’t phase me but when Surface mount stuff came along I didn’t have the kit to work on it and at that point I became a box changer.
    Sadly no longer, I’m now, fortunately, at a stage where if something breaks I see it as an opportunity to buy something new and hopefully better of more economical to run. Obviously not everyone is lucky enough to be able to do this. That said, not much stuff is actually repairable nowadays it would seem (to my aged eyes). Parts availability is nothing like it used to be, mainly because stuff is superseded so damn quickly (look at cameras)

It’s a great idea and to be applauded but I think if the younger generation can be taught simple basic hands on skills, even retiring a 13 A plug would be a start, then it’s progress.

Comment

I agree that it is sad that so many mainstream organisations don't support repair more proactively

Many will remember the days when you bought a car and the 1st thing you did was to get the Haynes Manual (BTW did you know that John Haynes recently passed away, it was not just in the car forums it made mainstream news which was nice https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47214103 )

I fully support the idea and have just looked up and will try and support the local ones.

Regards
      Andy
      My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
      4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
      m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
      FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
      The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
      http://www.shenstone.me.uk
      http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
      https://vimeo.com/shenstone
      http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Regards
        Richard

Comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAYTON-D...frcectupt=true

Comment

The use of a capacitor to drop the mains voltage is not uncommon but it's not best practice. Some years ago a well known photo retailer sold an enlarger timer that used the same principle and which had a tendency to, shall we say, overheat ...

My Bosch washer-drier uses a direct drive motor so there are no belts or other parts to wear other than the main drum bearings. As a result it's extremely smooth and quiet but I dread to think how much it will cost to fix if the drum bearings wear out. Its Hoover predecessor gave about ten years of fairly light usage but when the drum bearings went it was uneconomic to repair. I wasn't impressed.
            Regards
            Richard

Comment

Our slimline dishwasher is 10 years old, our washing machine is about 7, both Bosch. When either fails I’ll buy a new one, expecting it to be more economical and last a similar time. Our tumble drier (damn thing!) is an old Philips and is 35+ years old and won’t die! Want to get a new one so I can finally sort out the utility ‘room’ and either vent it properly or get a condensing one instead. When an old fridge freezer (Scandinova, remember them?) failed approx 3 years ago (hand me down from parents approx 15 years ago) our electricity bill dropped by 20%, literally.

Comment

My Hotpoint Aquarius Reversomatic 9326 is at least 25 years old and still has its original bearings I think. (I bought it used about 1999). I don't think they make many things to last like that nowadays. except, thankfully, some vintage cameras (to bring this back on topic ...)

Comment

I saw both of my parents making things and repairing them, and my older brother too. It was a way of life for most people. My mother in particular was very practical, and had learnt a great deal from her Dutch father who I have learned was a very clever Engineer.

I am always tinkering, repairing and building things; my wife perhaps less so, but our children have grown up seeing us taking things apart, repairing them and putting them back together again, so they are not afraid of doing the same.

Unfortunately 'consumerism' and the design of modern motor cars and consumer goods has resulted in two or three generations having been brought up without the joys or experience of building or mending things. I am sure this has made us all less inventive as there is no real interest in knowing how things work; just plugging them in, using them and throwing them away when they break.
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I’m now guilty of ‘just plugging them in and using them’ and like it that way. I’ve built dozens, if not a couple of hundred PCs over the years but can’t be arsed now (give my money to Tim Apple instead). Occasionally get to upgrade or build a gaming PC for my son and whilst I enjoy doing it, it’s not something I miss. Used to replace a ‘stat when the fridge failed, used to replace kettle and toaster elements. About the only stuff I’ll actually fix now is things like immersion heaters / thermostats, ball cocks and the like.
                    Right, anyone recommend a frost proof, large capacity water butt?

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                      Right, anyone recommend a frost proof, large capacity water butt?
                      Interesting request butt, do such things as frost proof water butts exist ?

Darkroom

Comment

Originally posted by Darkroom View Post
                        Interesting request butt, do such things as frost proof water butts exist ?

Darkroom
                        I am sure you can buy them in countries like Saudi Arabia. They don't have a problem with frost there.
                        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                          I am sure you can buy them in countries like Saudi Arabia. They don't have a problem with frost there.
                          Tim wants a large capacity butt so P&P could be excessive

Darkroom

Comment

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Darkroom View Post
                              Tim wants a large capacity butt so P&P could be excessive

Darkroom
                              My wife has a large capacity butt ........ arrrggggg .... get off me ...... AAARRgggggg........

Comment

Working...
                              X