Streaming music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streaming music

Having just paid quite a bit of money for a new piece of kit at home and having sceptical thoughts about music streaming i'm wondering now if this is the death of CD's as we know it. I've now listened since late January to all sorts of music streamed in high quality bit rate and some of the recordings are stunning played through the right kit. I sold off my Cinema system and have gone back to 2 channel and I don't miss the multi channel stuff.

It was a toss up between the 300 F4 lens and the new piece of HiFi, so I guess I will need to save again to buy the lens. I know vinyl has outsold Cd's in the last year or two, but having now minimised my kit down to 1 box and far less cables it keeps my wife happy (she hates the cables) and i'm happy with results, question is now having been staunch supporter of CD's ( I have quite a few) is this the end of me buying them? At the moment i'm on a 3 month trial for free then in April I either have to pay the monthly or yearly(Cheaper) fee or back to the CD's!! It also has a built in phono stage so vinyl is being played again after many years on the shelf.

Peter
    OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
    www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Re: Streaming music

All my CDs got copied onto the computer for local streaming (at high bit rates) Mrs Walti can’t quite get her head around using it and even though I don’t have a CD player nor drive she still likes buying CDs so I’m thing of going back to a buck with an input that’ll accept the streaming from the computer. And getting a new CD player!

I tend to buy all my music digitally now from one of the evil corporations or another!

I haven’t bought into streaming from the inter web yet - but I think that may be next as - like you - I think the CD is past its day now.
    I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

What bit of kit did you buy Peter? I've still got turntable, tape, and CD. I'm sure one small box and no wires would go down well with the management here!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

I still prefer to have a physical CD but that said I am in the process of ripping my CD collection to .FLAC files using Exact Audio Copy
        Regards
        Richard

Comment

OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
          I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Comment

Further to my post above regarding Windows 10 File Sharing, I found this video on YouTube, followed it to the letter, and now all three talk nicely to one another. Whether they still will after today I don't know as Win10 networking seems somewhat random, but we shall see ...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecoliBpLcDI&vl=en"]File Sharing Over A Network in Windows 10 - YouTube[/ame]

Don't be put off by the annoying introductory music (sic) as it will soon be replaced by a soothing English voice!

Incidentally, the software I use on the RPi music player is moOde Audio Player. It's free, but only available for Raspberry Pi computers. It's also a bit geeky to get up and running but great when it works .
            Regards
            Richard

Comment

With copyright expiring on a lot of 1950s and 1960s music, a lot are becoming available on CD which were not before.

Harold
              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

I use a Zen mini streamer ,cd ripper flac, with radios etc, get a lot of cd,s from charity shops to rip. played through mission 770s, and pioneer pre and power amps(tuned).listening to telegraph road road as I write this.linn music is a good site for listening or lbc if ya like the b word.all controlled from iPhone using ipeng app.reccomend actual cd,s in case of lectronic crash.airplane sensors come to mind.

Comment

I usually rip CDs with 'cdparanoia' on Linux. It outputs WAV files, which can then be converted to any other format with 'sox' (the 'swiss arm knife' of sound files!)

Jim

Comment

I always buy the CD, think it goes back to buying albums, spent many hours in Our Price.
                    Just got some new speakers to use with the pc, maybe slight overkill.
                    https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHe...dSpeakers.html
                    Built in pre amp so turntable plugs straight in, still got some albums from the 70's.
                    Just been playing some Thin Lizzy and Diamond Head, both very underrated bands

Comment

I used to be keen on good quality equipment for sound reproduction, but there's not much point now as I have tinnitus and a severely restricted upper limit to high frequency sounds.

Jim

Comment

I have ripped about 13 days worth of CDs via iTunes, copied the library to an iPod, and a Mac Mini.

The Mac mini is connected via the internal network to the Sonos connect which is connected to the main hifi system, plus there are several Sonos speakers around the house.

Using the Sonos app on various smart phones and iPads we can select music or internet sourced radio in various rooms in the house.

I can plug the iPod into the car system and listen to the music in the car (should I wish), the incar entertainment system selecting the music from the iPod.

If I want to really listen to some music I can play the source Cds on the main CD player.
                        This space for rent

Comment

Things are so much easier now than it used to be, I can play most(not all) of my entire CD collection from my phone (bluetooth) to my car stereo and flick back and forth easily, no need to lean over to the passenger seat and grab a CD out of the case !! I was sceptical about streaming though, but have now changed my mind albeit after listening to HiRes files on a very decent system but that's how it was recorded and how the artists would want you to hear it, if you venture to a live performance you don't listen to it via the keyhole in the front door do you which is how a lot of compressed files are....

I did consider a Sonos system awhile back but it sounded compressed to what I already had and I took it back, but hey if it works for you fine...I do have a Naim small unit Muso in the Kitchen which sounds great as well.

The beauty about my main system is I can stream a track/video (sound only) from Youtube via my new unit so if there is something decent on there I can listen to that as well. Happy days...

Peter

Comment

Jim...

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus...doesn't stop you from a bit of musical enjoyment as I do suffer from it a little bit too...

Peter

Comment

I'm not much of a music listener and was wasting valuable (IMO) shelf space so I ripped all our CD's to MP3 and sent the CD's to a charity shop

I DO like radio documentaries

So I now have 70Gb of podcasts and 16gb of CD's to keep me entertained on my drive to/from work

Regards
                              Andy
                              My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                              4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                              m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                              FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                              The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
                              http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                              http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                              https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                              http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X