Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

New camera - what do you do first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New camera - what do you do first?

It's been nearly ten years since I had to get to grips with a new camera but after my e520 finally died (or was brutally murdered) last week, I find myself on that learning curve again!

Annoyingly, the manual is only available as a download but thanks to my Zutter machine I was able to print it off and bind it so I have it to hand.

The first thing I did when I got the camera was to put the battery in, attach the lens and start taking photos...only then did I resort to the manual to try and figure out what the hell I was doing!

So how do you deal with new equipment - dive straight in or read the manual first?

Janet
    My flickr photostream....

Re: New camera - what do you do first?

A little bit of both for me. I'll read the start of the manual and confirm I know the simple things like strap fixing and batteries and card use then give a cursory glance at the rest of the manual and dive in to the camera when the batteries are charged. If I read too much my brain gets full and stops taking anything in so I'll just go back to the manual when I get stuck. Nice binding Janet, that's a cool machine.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

That's interesting - not come across the Zutter before today. I'm just googling it...

re setting up the EM5 - very little to do, just set to RAW capture and fire away. Can't remember if it's standard default, but you need the super control panel at the touch of a button to be able to alter ISO. That's about it.
      Steve

on flickr

Comment

Immediately hide the box and packaging so it becomes " just one of my old cameras "

Jax

Comment

Search the web for independant instructions and suggested settings, plus scanning through the section in this forum on the camera.
          This space for rent

Comment

Order up a spare battery then have a browse through the instructions.

Quick adjust of the settings and fire away

Comment

I've never read a manual for a camera! Personally, I just make sure the battery is charged, grab a cuppa and start playing!
              Paul
              E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
              flickr
              Portfolio Site
              Instagram

Comment

I must admit I never read the manuals, but our son does, and he often tells me about features that I didn't know about.

Reading manuals used to be enjoyable, but they seem full of boiler plate text these days and are no pleasure to read.

Gone are the days when manuals, and especially service manuals, actually explained how things worked so you could work out why sometimes they didn't.
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

On a separate note I do like the Zutter machine. It is ideal for binding music copies that must lay flat on the music desk and not fall off onto the manuals when lots of loud stops are pulled!
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks Janet.

I did have a comb binder for a while but it broke. I use a thermal binding machine now which is good for books and manuals but useless for music.
                        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I go and play with it first, then refer to the manual on my laptop or phone for the bits I've not made work properly..

I'm obviously more used to the digital world, as the last thing I'd do is print out the manual!

Can't criticise the photo of the Zutter machine, as my keyboard has had a lot of photos taken!
                          I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

I don't mind using the online manual, but I do like to have something printed out to carry round with me - I travel to work on the bus each day so it's perfect to slip in my bag to read whilst I'm travelling or when we have quiet spells at work.

I usually read bits, find something interesting then go home and try it - it's very rare I actually have the camera and manual together!

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                              I don't mind using the online manual, but I do like to have something printed out to carry round with me - I travel to work on the bus each day so it's perfect to slip in my bag to read whilst I'm travelling or when we have quiet spells at work.

I usually read bits, find something interesting then go home and try it - it's very rare I actually have the camera and manual together!

Janet
                              Unfortunately the manual was written by a geek using geek language, so the best of luck to you. When I purchased the EM5 back in 2013 I thought it was important to understand the many options, but I came to my senses and set up the camera using a fairly primative one based on the factory restore, with the exception of RAW only. My advise would be keep it simple and toss the manual in the bin.
                              Steve

on flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X