Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New camera - what do you do first?

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
    I guess you blokes are the sort that consider the Morris 1000 Estate to be the pinnacle of automotive engineering!

Jim
    Correct, it was !

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
      When I started using my first digital camera I kept operating a phantom film advance lever.

If good processing labs reappear I might resume using my X-Pan, having the full kit.

Harold
      I use these guys, top service and fast too:
      https://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/
      Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
        Having tested hundreds of cameras over the years, the first thing I did (after battery charge) was to take a few pictures straight out the box, then do a factory reset and do a few more on full auto (if it had that feature).

After that, it would be a series of shots in manual mode from fully open/fast shutter to fully stopped down/slow shutter to assess the consistency of the exposure metering.

Lens testing was a whole different thing, with target cards and focus scales.

That was all years ago. Now I just, take them out the box, give them a little affectionate squeeze and start a whole new love affair...
        When I got back into photography in 2013, after many decades away, I thought those little TV screens on the back of cameras was the 'new' way, together with holding the camera at arms length to compose and shoot. With these modern electronic devices I also forgot how to 'read' the light - some might say that's progress - but having returned to 'proper' cameras, I'm once again fairly accurate at estimating light, making the settings based on how I want to express the scene and lighting, plus being able to focus where 'I' want to focus and not where some bloody 'cross hair' decides what's best. Advancing forward, we now have something called AI being interfaced between the photographer and the image. Very soon it will be possible to mount the camera on a tripod, aim it roughly, and tell the camera you'd like images of aeroplanes, and leave t get on with images making.
        Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
          When I started using my first digital camera I kept operating a phantom film advance lever.

If good processing labs reappear I might resume using my X-Pan, having the full kit.

Harold
          Peak Imaging near Sheffield do a top-rate job with film processing.

Nik & Trick in Folkestone also offer a comprehensive processing service and sell a wide range of chemistry and equipment for home processing including the wonderful Bellini products. Their website and FaceBook page are well worth a visit. They also run the UK Film Photography page on FB.

If you have an X-Pan you really don't have any excuses for not using it!

If you don't want it I'll send you a reply paid box to put it in!
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
            Peak Imaging near Sheffield do a top-rate job with film processing.

Nik & Trick in Folkestone also offer a comprehensive processing service and sell a wide range of chemistry and equipment for home processing including the wonderful Bellini products. Their website and FaceBook page are well worth a visit. They also run the UK Film Photography page on FB.

If you have an X-Pan you really don't have any excuses for not using it!

If you don't want it I'll send you a reply paid box to put it in!
            If you change your mind and don't want the X-Pan, I'll leap at it. What a lovely camera!!
            Steve

on flickr

Comment

My First Camera
              by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

A Box Brownie...
              Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post

My First Camera
                by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

A Box Brownie...
                Shame on you Mark ! You don't take very good care of your photo gear

Darkroom

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                  I guess you blokes are the sort that consider the Morris 1000 Estate to be the pinnacle of automotive engineering!

Jim
                  No, surely that was the Austin Allegro.
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

and just what’s wrong with the fabled Morris Marina?

Comment

test is this working
                      I misread the icon I thought this was a locked thread.. Fortunately not.
                      This space for rent

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X