X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: Age-Related Difficulties

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
      My wife finally got her prescription today. They had not phoned, as promised, to say they were ready. On checking, there were some pills missing.
      As I mentioned before - look into Pharmacy2u!

https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/

Jim

Comment

May I ask what flavour of council this is, or is that a silly question?
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
            May I ask what flavour of council this is, or is that a silly question?
            Labour through and through.

There is a VERY old saying in this town that 'If Labour put a monkey up, they'd vote it in' .... and it's true. They are so secure in this town that they do whatever they want and always get away with it and get re-elected again and again.

Comment

Thanks, Tim. Yes, I appreciate the difficulties but as you say, if they had any sort of IT team, it would have been sorted long ago.

Why they have to buy in and replace machines I don't know. The vast majority are used for word processing and the use of various 'made for purpose' (and I say that VERY lightly) programs. The simplest of machines will do the job.

However, IT has to look as though it's doing a grand job so once in a while they put the scarums up the pants of those who are paid to know but don't have a clue and get loadsa dosh to do these things.

Comment

Comment

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                    All it needs is to have some knowledgeable sysadmin to make sure the network works OK.
                    In many Councils, sadly that is probably the biggest stumbling block to overcome. They seem to rarely employ "Qualified Experts" on the workforce maybe because the remuneration offered to them falls way below what is expected, preferring to pay massive salaries to unqualified Management instead.

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                      In many Councils, sadly that is probably the biggest stumbling block to overcome. They seem to rarely employ "Qualified Experts" on the workforce maybe because the remuneration offered to them falls way below what is expected, preferring to pay massive salaries to unqualified Management instead.

Jax
                      I think you have hit the nail on the head. The use of IT consultants in the public sector is ridiculous. Its become accepted as the norm and huge amounts of money are being wasted. There is almost a closed shop of "approved" consultants that simply make sure their gravy train continues. If you pay peanuts for your own experts then guess what you get?
                      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                        I think you have hit the nail on the head. The use of IT consultants in the public sector is ridiculous. Its become accepted as the norm and huge amounts of money are being wasted. There is almost a closed shop of "approved" consultants that simply make sure their gravy train continues. If you pay peanuts for your own experts then guess what you get?
                        In the local council I have knowledge of, the majority of " Managers " had no formal qualifications relating to their positions. The person in charge of road and street layout and planning made a massive error resulting in a cost of hundreds thousands of pounds and the newly completed work having to be ripped up and re done. This, despite being told and warned by his underlings that his plans breached EU rules. As always, nothing happened to him and as far as I know he is still in the same management position. The person in charge of IT and council security is an ex painter and decorator. Within councils it's not a matter of what you know and how qualified you are but simply a matter of Who You Know

Jax

Comment

Jax
                          Unfortunately, much of the I.T. staff actually become to think they are 'experts'.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
                            Unfortunately, much of the I.T. staff actually become to think they are 'experts'.
                            That is not a syndrome only found in Councils, it covers most walks of life. Having exceeded my allotted span of 3 score and ten, I am now rapidly becoming an expert in medicines and medical procedures some of which involves strange forms of photography

Jax

Comment

That is not a syndrome only found in Councils, it covers most walks of life. Having exceeded my allotted span of 3 score and ten, I am now rapidly becoming an expert in medicines and medical procedures some of which involves strange forms of photography

Jax
                              After three score years and ten, you are entitled to.

I'm talking about the youngsters who have come out of Uni with a degree in computer science but very little common sense and knowledge of the day to day workings of I.T departments in big business or councils and after a year or so changing faulty meeces , leads, hard drives etc. think they are the mutts nuts.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X