Age-Related Difficulties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Age-Related Difficulties

I seem to remember government cost cutting was supposed to focus minds on improving efficiency and delivering best value in the NHS, education and local government, etc.

Unfortunately those concerned choose to make a political point of it and use the excuse to cut services and close libraries rather than saving money on the procurement of office chairs and stationery.
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

What seems to be lacking in all Govt departments, Local Councils, Education, NHS etc. etc. etc. is simple basic common sense. Not much point in having a drawer full of degrees in whatever, or being a firm supporter of Politic Correctness if you lack that one vital ingredient. It seems to be very rare in all walks of life these days

Jax

Comment

"Common sense" is an oxymoron, like "fun run" or "military intelligence" .
        Regards
        Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
          "Common sense" is an oxymoron, like "fun run" or "military intelligence" .
          Likewise 'Police Intelligence' and especially 'American Intelligence'.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Or "management science".

John

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
              What seems to be lacking in all Govt departments, Local Councils, Education, NHS etc. etc. etc. is simple basic common sense. Not much point in having a drawer full of degrees in whatever, or being a firm supporter of Politic Correctness if you lack that one vital ingredient. It seems to be very rare in all walks of life these days

Jax
              Lack of common sense is one problem, but party politics are a much bigger problem. Collectively our politicians have succeeded in turning health, social care, education and defence into political footballs. In my view these are far too important and expensive to be ordered at the whims of any one politician or political party who in any case may only be in office for a few months. These should be governed by cross-party groups to ensure consistency and a long-term approach.

Even foodbanks have become political. We have had foodbanks in this area for at least twenty years, and certainly during the period when our local MP was PM, (I'm sure he could have afforded to contribute a few tins of beans) but the whole subject was kept very quiet. It was only after the change in government in 2010 that foodbanks became a political issue.

Local government also sufferers from party politics, with many councils exercising profligacy on an industrial scale whilst cutting essential services to the bone. This is often aided and abetted by the trades unions who have their own political agendas.

Whether in health, education or local government we are paying these people to work on our behalf and in our best interests, but that very rarely seems to happen.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

One of the major problems is that if a department is frugal, it gets less allowance next year. If they overspend, they get the same or more because it's deemed they need it. You'll often see departments spending loads of money when it's getting near the end of the financial year because they don't want to be left with money to spare.

Such a sad state of affairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
                  One of the major problems is that if a department is frugal, it gets less allowance next year. If they overspend, they get the same or more because it's deemed they need it. You'll often see departments spending loads of money when it's getting near the end of the financial year because they don't want to be left with money to spare.

Such a sad state of affairs.
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

When I worked for a GEC company in the 70s they used a similar system of budgeting so it's not only government departments. Having said that of course GEC didn't last much longer so maybe their budgeting system was one of the reasons!
                    Regards
                    Richard

Comment

Well how about this for money wasting:

There is a legal requirement for road signs within Wales to appear in both English and Welsh. In this case the officials of the Highways department emailed the English wording to the translator and, after receiving a reply, proceeded to have the sign made and installed.

Soon after installation Welsh-speaking drivers began contacting the council to point out that the Welsh translation reads..... "I am currently out of the office. Please submit any work to the translation team."

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Maybe it's just me but -

I have never been able to get my head around councils and companies who departmentalize and then have each department charging other departments the going rate for jobs done for each other ..... all within the same company who employs everyone in the first place.

Comment

Maybe it's just me but -

I have never been able to get my head around councils and companies who departmentalize and then have each department charging other departments the going rate for jobs done for each other ..... all within the same company who employs everyone in the first place.
                          I worked for a large corporate that did just that, and it was a recipe for waste and profligacy. We all worked for the same company but all too often I heard people say 'oh that's OK; XXXX Division is picking up the tab". This was particularly the case with hotel bills and travelling expenses.

It was the same with departmental budgets. Some things we had to be careful with, but when a new budget was found or tapped in to it became a free-for-all.

I know a chap who worked for Durham County Council's Education Department before he retired and would travel to London for meetings at least twice every week. There was some silly rule about overnight hotel expenses so he travelled there and back by train every time, in First Class of course, with a taxi to and from Durham railway station morning and evening. We hear a lot about government cuts and the lack of money to employ teachers, but this guy was spending more of our money on rail and taxi fares than most teachers earn.
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Maybe it's just me but -

Exactly this used to happen in the District Council where I worked. There were several of the finance team whose sole job was to deal with internal recharging.

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                              Exactly this used to happen in the District Council where I worked. There were several of the finance team whose sole job was to deal with internal recharging.
                              I can understand the concept from an accounting point of view, but employees lose any feeling of ownership of budgets and just spend money like water.
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

My wife finally got her prescription today. They had not phoned, as promised, to say they were ready. On checking, there were some pills missing.

Harold
                                The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Working...
                                X