Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Political Posts

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Political Posts

    Recently we seem to be discussing politics, particularly Brexit, more than photography on this forum and whilst right now it is a fascinating subject I do feel we are in danger of getting things out of balance.

    With this in mind, could we please refrain from starting any more political threads and post instead in the bumper thread that we already have http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47199

    Thank you.
    John

    "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

  • #2
    Re: Political Posts

    Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
    Recently we seem to be discussing politics, particularly Brexit, more than photography on this forum and whilst right now it is a fascinating subject I do feel we are in danger of getting things out of balance.

    With this in mind, could we please refrain from starting any more political threads and post instead in the bumper thread that we already have http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47199

    Thank you.
    While you're quite right about too much politics, we still have "take a break from photo and camera talk" at the top of the page.

    Harold
    The body is willing but the mind is weak.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Political Posts

      Well said John. Totally in agreement!
      Paul
      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Political Posts

        I'm afraid I have decided to take a break from this forum altogether.

        I am more than happy to discuss politics, religion and all the other taboos, but I am so sick and tired of the negativity recently that I would really rather be out of it altogether.

        I have tried to lighten the mood and to provide some positivity, but every single post is met with deep negativity, sardonicism and vitriol by individuals who refuse to acknowledge the weaknesses of their own leaders.

        I didn't particularly want Brexit, but my biggest fear right now is the bunch of anarchists around here who are not only hell bent on making it a self fulfilling prophesy but are already promising retribution threads.
        ---------------

        Naughty Nigel


        Difficult is worth doing

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Political Posts

          Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
          I'm afraid I have decided to take a break from this forum altogether.

          I am more than happy to discuss politics, religion and all the other taboos, but I am so sick and tired of the negativity recently that I would really rather be out of it altogether.

          I have tried to lighten the mood and to provide some positivity, but every single post is met with deep negativity, sardonicism and vitriol by individuals who refuse to acknowledge the weaknesses of their own leaders.

          I didn't particularly want Brexit, but my biggest fear right now is the bunch of anarchists around here who are not only hell bent on making it a self fulfilling prophesy but are already promising retribution threads.
          I for one will miss your posts and your efforts to lighten the mood.

          It does get way to heavy on here at times, I guess I don't help by fighting my corner?

          What happens in 20 years time will be down to others but right now the bottom line for me is I support the result of the biggest democratic exercise the UK has ever experienced.
          Dave

          My Flickr

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Political Posts

            I decided to get out of the Brexit thread a few weeks back and glad I did. Personally, I think we should have a "no politics" policy on the forum. Threads like the Brexit thread only cause division, bad perceptions of fellow forum members and in the end are futile. If people really want to do politics, join a political forum, or better still a political party.

            Let's stick to photography with an Oly flavour - there's a lot to be covered there, and lots of positive stuff too.
            Paul
            E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
            flickr
            Portfolio Site
            Instagram

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Political Posts

              Thought it was all harmless banter, old flag wavers can get a bit wound up at times though.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Political Posts

                Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                While you're quite right about too much politics, we still have "take a break from photo and camera talk" at the top of the page.

                Harold
                Well, talk about the weather, football or single malt whisky in the Lounge - anything but politics, except in the politics thread!
                John

                "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Political Posts

                  Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                  Well, talk about the weather, football or single malt whisky in the Lounge - anything but politics, except in the politics thread!
                  I know that but certain members complain bitterly, from time to time, about non-photographic subjects in the Lounge.

                  Harold
                  The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Political Posts

                    Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                    I'm afraid I have decided to take a break from this forum altogether.

                    I am more than happy to discuss politics, religion and all the other taboos, but I am so sick and tired of the negativity recently that I would really rather be out of it altogether.

                    I have tried to lighten the mood and to provide some positivity, but every single post is met with deep negativity, sardonicism and vitriol by individuals who refuse to acknowledge the weaknesses of their own leaders.

                    I didn't particularly want Brexit, but my biggest fear right now is the bunch of anarchists around here who are not only hell bent on making it a self fulfilling prophesy but are already promising retribution threads.
                    That would be a real shame, Nigel. I really enjoyed participating in your excellent recent thread on medium format film and I would welcome more like that. I'm hoping that by containing the politics within one thread it will be easy to avoid. Did you see the recent TV documentary on Don McCullin, where he was walking around with a Mamiya RZ67 tucked under his arm for street shots!
                    John

                    "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Political Posts

                      Originally posted by Tram View Post
                      Thought it was all harmless banter, old flag wavers can get a bit wound up at times though.

                      Originally posted by Tram View Post
                      You have got the scent of blood now, give it your best shot.
                      Let that pent up rage out, would you be this outspoken face to face, I doubt it.

                      Laughable if it wasn't so sad
                      Harmless banter ? Seems you also get a bit wound up at times whether waving a flag or not.


                      Darkroom

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Political Posts

                        Originally posted by Darkroom View Post
                        Harmless banter ? Seems you also get a bit wound up at times whether waving a flag or not.


                        Darkroom
                        I think this little exchange illustrates my previous point pretty well. Seriously, nearly ever other photography forum I'm aware of has a policy of no politics. I think we'd all be happier here if we did the same.
                        Paul
                        E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                        flickr
                        Portfolio Site
                        Instagram

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Political Posts

                          Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                          I'm afraid I have decided to take a break from this forum altogether.

                          I am more than happy to discuss politics, religion and all the other taboos, but I am so sick and tired of the negativity recently that I would really rather be out of it altogether.

                          I have tried to lighten the mood and to provide some positivity, but every single post is met with deep negativity, sardonicism and vitriol by individuals who refuse to acknowledge the weaknesses of their own leaders.

                          I didn't particularly want Brexit, but my biggest fear right now is the bunch of anarchists around here who are not only hell bent on making it a self fulfilling prophesy but are already promising retribution threads.

                          I couldn't agree more Nigel. The problem with the politics thread is it is the same nasty, bitter, vitriolic individuals continually keeping it alive because they probably have nothing better to do in their lives.

                          Many members have previously stated there is no place in a photo forum for political discussion and the thread in question proves the case. Politics and religion should never be discussed in fora designed for specialist subjects such as photography as no matter how well moderated, they always result in bad feeling and trouble, usually caused by a minority of contributers.

                          The moderators themselves contribute to the political discussion and express political bias within this forum.

                          The lounge is a very useful board to discuss any other subjects and probably the most widely read and used but some subjects such as anything political or religious should, IMHO be banned.

                          As stated by others, if you do indeed leave this forum Nigel you will be missed as you are one of the few highly intelligent and knowledgeable contributors able to discuss a wide range of subjects without bias. That even includes your rather questionable choice of trouser colours I spotted when reading old posts.


                          Darkroom

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Political Posts

                            Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                            I think this little exchange illustrates my previous point pretty well. Seriously, nearly ever other photography forum I'm aware of has a policy of no politics. I think we'd all be happier here if we did the same.
                            Well said Paul I have to say Graham Of Rainham's "like" is slightly ironic given the number of his biased contributions to the political topic.


                            Darkrooom

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Political Posts

                              Originally posted by Darkroom View Post
                              I couldn't agree more Nigel. The problem with the politics thread is it is the same nasty, bitter, vitriolic individuals continually keeping it alive because they probably have nothing better to do in their lives.

                              Many members have previously stated there is no place in a photo forum for political discussion and the thread in question proves the case. Politics and religion should never be discussed in fora designed for specialist subjects such as photography as no matter how well moderated, they always result in bad feeling and trouble, usually caused by a minority of contributers.

                              The moderators themselves contribute to the political discussion and express political bias within this forum.

                              The lounge is a very useful board to discuss any other subjects and probably the most widely read and used but some subjects such as anything political or religious should, IMHO be banned.

                              As stated by others, if you do indeed leave this forum Nigel you will be missed as you are one of the few highly intelligent and knowledgeable contributors able to discuss a wide range of subjects without bias. That even includes your rather questionable choice of trouser colours I spotted when reading old posts.


                              Darkroom
                              That the lack of such discussion prevents bad feeling is a fantasy, as I have discovered elsewhere. Sticking purely top photography was no protection, It is not the subject matter but certain opinionated people who cause upset.

                              Harold
                              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X