Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

LibreOffice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice

Having just received an automated notification from Microsoft that on my new computer the trial period of MS Office has expired and will be disabled by Dec 6 unless I buy it. Such an affront after having had their dud Win10 o/s foisted upon me that I found a likely replacement in the FREE LibreOffice suite, which is fully compatible with the MS product. It's early days yet but so far I like it a lot. If you have anything to say about Libre, pros or cons, I'd be interested to hear it.
    My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Re: LibreOffice

Hi Mark, a from me. I've used the free LO for several months and have found it more than adequate for my needs which revolve around the MS versions of Word and Excel. It's also very easy to transfer over any Word or Excel items to LO. At the price, what's not to like?
    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

I've been using it for years, first in its earlier incarnation as Open Office and then as Libre Office. I've had very very few problems: occasionally an update introduces a glitch, on the rare occasions it has happened I have just re-installed it from the previous downloaded version and waited for the next update.

John

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
        Having just received an automated notification from Microsoft that on my new computer the trial period of MS Office has expired and will be disabled by Dec 6 unless I buy it. Such an affront after having had their dud Win10 o/s foisted upon me that I found a likely replacement in the FREE LibreOffice suite, which is fully compatible with the MS product. It's early days yet but so far I like it a lot. If you have anything to say about Libre, pros or cons, I'd be interested to hear it.

Comment

I've been using LibreOffice for years.

LibreOffice is a fork of the older OpenOffice, which still exists. I believe there was a dispute amongst the OpenOffice developers and some of the team split off to form LibreOffice.

There have been organisations that have adopted OpenOffice (and possibly LO) as their official office suite and the odf file format, because they don't want to be locked into the MS system.

For super 'typeset' documents Tex/LaTex is the way to go. A few years back some American universities would only accept theses written with LaTex. I don't know whether it still applies. I used to use LaTex a lot.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
            For super 'typeset' documents Tex/LaTex is the way to go. A few years back some American universities would only accept theses written with LaTex. I don't know whether it still applies. I used to use LaTex a lot.

Jim
            Having now retired, I don't find the need to contact American Universities too often, but if the need does arise, I'll keep that advice in mind.

Darkroom

Comment

Originally posted by Darkroom View Post
              Having now retired, I don't find the need to contact American Universities too often, but if the need does arise, I'll keep that advice in mind.

Darkroom

Comment

I worked with one of the LaTex developers who then worked on XyWrite a rather nice word processor that wwas involved in the newspaper industry for electronic typesetting. I have a Windows 3.1 version of another derivative of this product called Signature, it was cancelled two days before it was to be announced to the world. However I did get quite a lot of travel from the product before it was canned.
                This space for rent

Comment

Thanks all for your reassuring endorsements; gives credence to the movie, Mo Money theme song, The best things in life are free.
                  My Flickr

Comment

Definitely go with Libre Office. For personal use it's just fine, and should work well for many small business operations too. Unless you're an advanced user with MS Office there isn't going to be very much you can't do with it that you could with MS Office. If you're familiar with MS Office there isn't much of a learning curve with Libre Office.

Comment

I've had LibreOffice since a laptop repair at a local shop somehow turned into a reinstall and lost my MS Office. I hate to rent software. LibreOffice has been good and pretty well perfectly compatible except for one of my Excel spreadsheets which has extensive macros in it.

Comment

Percy, Rob, I once used MS Office quite a bite for such as Powerpoint presentations,and spreadsheets before retirement. I still have a number of personal Powerpoint slide show presentations. Microsoft will disable the trial vers. of Office on this new computer in two days from now. Can I be sure those slide shows will still run on Libre?
                        My Flickr

Comment

Something I forgot to mention is that L O has an android version. As I haven't used the android version, I can't see any reason why the versions can't be transferred between the two? Perhaps others can comment?
                          It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
                            Percy, Rob, I once used MS Office quite a bite for such as Powerpoint presentations,and spreadsheets before retirement. I still have a number of personal Powerpoint slide show presentations. Microsoft will disable the trial vers. of Office on this new computer in two days from now. Can I be sure those slide shows will still run on Libre?

Comment

I've used OpenOffice for many years. My copy of Word (MS Office) is the 2007 version so showing some cobwebs but still does what I need.
                              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                              Learn something new every day

Comment

Working...
                              X