Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McVities Digestive Biscuit Recipe Change!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: McVities Digestive Biscuit Recipe Change!

I prefer the less fat ones. Digestives that is, don't see them that often.
    sigpicDave

Comment

McVities Digestives are best with cheese on.

They are wasted being dunked into tea and coffee, and have a high 'structural failure rate' resulting in tea or coffee all over the place and a soggy mess in the bottom of the cup.
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
        They are wasted being dunked into tea and coffee, and have a high 'structural failure rate' resulting in tea or coffee all over the place and a soggy mess in the bottom of the cup.
        The latest ones are harder. I think that when you dunked the more sugary ones, the hot tea/coffee quickly dissolved the sugar which helped bind them together, thus structurally weakening them. I agree about the soggy mess in the bottom of the cup though - it ruins the rest of my day!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
          The latest ones are harder. I think that when you dunked the more sugary ones, the hot tea/coffee quickly dissolved the sugar which helped bind them together, thus structurally weakening them. I agree about the soggy mess in the bottom of the cup though - it ruins the rest of my day!

Jim
          I'm not sure whether the fat binds them together, so newer, low fat recipes tend to dissolve more readily when dunked to suffer early structural failure.

Clearly Digestives are weakest in tension, so they should be held vertical wherever possible to avoid bending moments.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Clearly Digestives are weakest in tension, so they should be held vertical wherever possible to avoid bending moments.
            But you then need to rotate them to horizontal to eat, and if they've been dunked for too long half of the biscuit breaks off and falls onto your front!

Jim

Comment

But you then need to rotate them to horizontal to eat, and if they've been dunked for too long half of the biscuit breaks off and falls onto your front!

Jim
              .... Unless you can tilt your head back far enough for a vertical entry!
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

So what is the best biscuit for dunking ?? I always preferred Digestives but hobnobs can take a pounding when it comes to tea and coffee...must be something to do with the structure. Who started dunking anyway?

Peter
                OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Digestives are good both for dunking and for cheese. Lidl and Sainsbury's own brands are just as good as McVities. If you bite opposite corners off a penguin you can suck up tea through them - so I'm told.

I'm another fan of Lidl Oaties.
                  Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                  Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                  Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                  Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                  Learn something new every day

Comment

Rington's Ginger Snaps are nice for dunking but their structure is very permeable so you have to be careful not to slop tea everywhere when you lift the biscuit out of the cup. They are also very large for dunking in must cups and mugs.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                      Digestives are good both for dunking and for cheese. Lidl and Sainsbury's own brands are just as good as McVities.
                      I've found that other brands to be distinctly inferior in taste and 'mouth feel'. Also their rate of absorption of the tea/coffee is slower, so whilst x seconds dunking may be sufficient for the genuine article, this time may barely penetrate a couple of millimetres of substitute brands.

I notice that there have been attempts to divert the thread onto the subject of Hobnobs, Oaties and even Ginger Snaps. I would like to discourage this trend as it entirely misses the point of Digestive dunking. The essence of Digestive biscuits is that they have a pleasantly mild taste that complements the tea/coffee without overpowering the flavour of the beverage, unlike the boisterous and less subtle flavours of the 'alternative' biscuits. This is an important feature for the dunking connoisseur!

Jim

Comment

I notice that there have been attempts to divert the thread onto the subject of Hobnobs, Oaties and even Ginger Snaps. I would like to discourage this trend as it entirely misses the point of Digestive dunking. The essence of Digestive biscuits is that they have a pleasantly mild taste that complements the tea/coffee without overpowering the flavour of the beverage, unlike the boisterous and less subtle flavours of the 'alternative' biscuits. This is an important feature for the dunking connoisseur!

Jim
                        Point taken.
                        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Personally I never saw the appeal of dunking anyway!
                          Regards
                          Richard

Comment

This is an important feature for the dunking connoisseur!

Jim
                            Bwahahahah.....dunking and connoisseur..... ha ha ha..... in the same sentence..... ha ha ha!!
                            Stop winding us up Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                              Personally I never saw the appeal of dunking anyway!
                              The ultimate is Gingernuts in orange squash and you suck, not bite.

Harold
                              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

I'm not sure whether the fat binds them together, so newer, low fat recipes tend to dissolve more readily when dunked to suffer early structural failure.
                                The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Working...
                                X