Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Smart Meters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smart Meters

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    You don't. Washing machines and dishwashers would need two pumps so that rinse water could be directed to a holding tank.
    When you can no longer buy a machine which takes a hot water feed? Dream on!

Harold
    The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

You don't. Washing machines and dishwashers would need two pumps so that rinse water could be directed to a holding tank.

Thinking on though, fibres from washing machine wasted water could play havoc with plumbing and would encourage bacterial growth.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
        When you can no longer buy a machine which takes a hot water feed? Dream on!

Harold
        Our washing machine is ten years old (Bosch) and has never had a hot water feed. The wash process is much more efficient with a cold fill.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

It is doable and worth doing but there are practical challenges [in reusing waste water] that are not immediately obvious.

Thankfully we have a plentiful supply of water here in Co. Durham thanks to Kielder water.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Our washing machine is ten years old (Bosch) and has never had a hot water feed. The wash process is much more efficient with a cold fill.

Not only that but the dead leg on most hot water supplies probably prevents much water that is actually hot reaching the machine. Also, the machine only heats the water it really needs. What puzzles me though is the "eco" setting takes so much longer than the standard yet they claim it saves energy. My Bosch dishwasher also takes half the time and gets the dishes cleaner if I choose the non-eco setting.
            Regards
            Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
              Not only that but the dead leg on most hot water supplies probably prevents much water that is actually hot reaching the machine. Also, the machine only heats the water it really needs. What puzzles me though is the "eco" setting takes so much longer than the standard yet they claim it saves energy. My Bosch dishwasher also takes half the time and gets the dishes cleaner if I choose the non-eco setting.
              A longer cycle at lower temperature perhaps?
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

A longer cycle at lower temperature perhaps?
                Newton's law of cooling applies:
                http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursed...feqs/cool.html
                Can be mitigated to a degree (intentional pun) but the second law of thermodynamics will always conquer.
                Steve

on flickr

Comment

Reference to the user manual for the washing machine reveals that the eco mode does indeed lower the temperature. Presumably that saves more energy than running the motor for twice as long!
                  Regards
                  Richard

Comment

I think I'll take my double dewar washing machine onto Dragon's Den. Minimal heat loss, but getting the clothes in and out is, as yet, a bit of a struggle. Early days.
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X