Corbyn at the Cenotaph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corbyn at the Cenotaph

i thought it quite disrespectful of Mr Corbyn to wear a casual looking anorak, complete with hood at the cenotaph yesterday. Whilst almost every other public figure not in uniform wore somber black overcoats, it looked as though Mr Corbyn had kitted himself at Millets.

It appears he's getting some stick on the news, and in some of the papers.
    Steve

on flickr

Re: Corbyn at the Cenotaph

Yeah, well.

Our gloriously independent press would castigate him if he'd turned up in full military kit with medals (if he'd been qualified to wear them). Similarly, Teresa May is always portrayed as gawky and awkward and Boris as hanging from a zipwire by the 'other side'.

We can live in echo chambers and can let ourselves be influenced by all this relentless propaganda bullsh1t, or we can try to maintain some personal intelligence and integrity. Everyone's choice, eh.
    Regards,
    Mark

------------------------------
    http://www.microcontrast.com
    Too much Oly gear.
    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
      i thought it quite disrespectful of Mr Corbyn to wear a casual looking anorak, complete with hood at the cenotaph yesterday. Whilst almost every other public figure not in uniform wore somber black overcoats, it looked as though Mr Corbyn had kitted himself at Millets.

It appears he's getting some stick on the news, and in some of the papers.
      On the other hand, maybe he is a bit hard up. My Brother-In-Law flew in from Nairobi to remember them and he joined in the parade as he was a former Guards Officer. KLM lost his luggage, but he was able to borrow a black coat, bowler hat and an umbrella. Very smart he looked.
      All the best

Phil
      https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc

Comment

However there are certain occasions that are not party political or opportunities to express individualism where one goes with the flow so as to not stand out or be an individual.

The Rememberance Day service at the Cenotaph is perhaps the one occasion where to be inconspicuous and part of the herd is definitely the order of the day. He could have hired the appropriate rig for the weekend.

One would have thought that Michael Foot's donkey jacket in 1981 would have been written into the Labour Party rule book as a definite no no.

If a leader cannot understand when being a rebel is not making a point but exhibiting ignorance then the person is not a potential national leader.
        This space for rent

Comment

Pretty brave of him considering the 'stick' Michael Foot got when he attended wearing an anorak.

I guess he was disrespectful of the sensibilities of the others attending the event, including leaders who are doing little to end the ongoing conflicts in the World, including Syria and Yemen, and for whom the event is a sop to their consciences. Nov 12th - job done, now lets get on and clinch the latest arms deal with the Saudis.

I consider the event as little more than theatre. The families and soldiers that lost relatives a friends will continue to remember the 'fallen' (what a delicate and tasteful way of putting it for those that were ripped to pieces by shells, drowned in mud and riddled with machine gun bullets!), and that's what really counts.

Amongst those carrying photos I would have like to have seen prints of Otto Dix's illustrations of WW1 and the aftermath. They are by far the 'best' depictions of the horrors of the war I've met and every politician ought to have a photoframe on their desk scrolling through his illustrations to remind them.

Jim

Comment

I saw him in the news on Monday on a lift on the south coast ..same anorack.
            What a pratt.
            Retirement cut backs.. D7200 with 18-140, D850 with N 28-300, Samyang 14mm Tamy 100-400 + Nikon 200-500mm
            Holiday cam .... Olympus OMD M5 + 14mm Panasonic .

Comment

At least he managed to get there, which is something I believe a certain Mr Trump had difficulties with.
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

It wouldn’t have been quite so bad if the hood had been sitting properly. A decent sized poppy wouldn’t have gone amiss either. Shoes needed a clean and his trousers were far too long. Disrespectful Marxist tramp basically.
                The Trump thing too was unbelievable, Commander Bone Spurs obviously didn’t get that he was there to commemorate soldiers who died in far worse conditions than a bit of rain. The man is an utter disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistnbroke View Post
                  I saw him in the news on Monday on a lift on the south coast ..same anorack.
                  What a pratt.
                  Why, because he was wearing an anorak on the South Coast?

Jim

Comment

I'm surprised that he wasn't wearing the Purple Heart medal that a veteran had given him. How many times did he dodge the draft - somewhere around five times IIRC.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                      >> Commander Bone Spurs <<
                      Love it
                      Regards,
                      Mark

------------------------------
                      http://www.microcontrast.com
                      Too much Oly gear.
                      Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                      Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                        I'm surprised that he wasn't wearing the Purple Heart medal that a veteran had given him. How many times did he dodge the draft - somewhere around five times IIRC.

Jim
                        Yes, I think it was 5 times.

I expect Corbyns got one of those long sausage things at the bottom of the door to dodge the draft.

Comment

I don't go to funerals all in Black, don't even own a suit or tie and never have.
                          Does that mean I care less, of course not, shouldn't be judged by your clothes.

My father fought throughout WW2, wouldn't buy a poppy though.
                          He objected to the low wages the disabled ex-servicemen making them received.
                          Reckon he earned the right to choose so think carefully before you condemn others

Comment

Originally posted by Tram View Post
                            Reckon he earned the right to choose so think carefully before you condemn others

Comment

He's been watching way too much Star Trek. His apparel is known as The Corbynmite Maneuver.

If, however, I was of a suspicious mind, It could be construed as another attemp to get yet another 15' of fame by being splashed about all over the media... for all thr wrong reasons, yet again.
                              It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Working...
                              X