Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Electric Car Question

Originally posted by Bengeo View Post
    Thanks for that. I treat the quoted range distances the same way we look at the manufacturer's MPG claims! 60 miles ... I would always be worried about getting stuck in traffic and having to drive home with no heating, wipers, lights etc!
    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
      Just think of all the extra CO2 produced at the power stations, or how many new nuclear power stations will be needed if we all switch to electric cars?
      I find it absurd that the electric car industry already has three completely incompatible types of power connector if we include Tesla. The Tesla is undoubtedly a very innovative car, but Elon Musk seems to be modelling himself on the late Steve Jobs in more ways than one.

One fact which is conveniently forgotten by those advocating electric cars is that the charge/discharge cycle of storage batteries is only about 40% efficient, so a lot of precious energy is wasted. There is also quote a lot of energy wasted between the power station and the consumers' premises.
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

And transporting oil around the world is efficient??????????????.
        Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
          One fact which is conveniently forgotten by those advocating electric cars is that the charge/discharge cycle of storage batteries is only about 40% efficient, so a lot of precious energy is wasted.

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
              he excess goes in heat, and just gets lost as the cells can only take so much charge at a time. Smart chargers help to reduce that waste.
              That doesn't sound quite right (caveat noted). As a lead/acid battery becomes charged the charging current drops, presumably to zero when fully charged.

I have a smart charger for AA and AAA cells. It checks the state of charge and tops it up, recycling fully if nearly empty. I don't know if other "smart" chargers do something similar.

I suspect that, so long as the charging current has to fight against the tendency for the battery to push current in the other direction (back EMF), all charging systems will be quite inefficient.

Harold
              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

That's excellent but if we all decided to switch to electric cars, would there be enough green power for everyone?
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

And there lies the problem, we'll need two cars instead of one!

I've just come back from a week exploring Pembrokeshire, which was a 250 mile drive to get there and back across mid-Wales so I'd have to use my petrol car to take my luggage and make the trip. But an electric car would cope with my normal weekly shopping trips.

And if I went for a hybrid, then I'd only get around 30 miles on the battery and then spend the rest of every journey using the petrol engine and lugging around a heavy battery that takes up what would otherwise be useful boot space! (When I looked at the Golf GTE hybrid I realised that the internal space in it was no more than that in a cheaper petrol-engine Polo

Chris
                    Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

There's a huge amount of research into batteries and other power sources and I suspect that a few more increases in range and reduced charge times will see an explosion in sales.
                      Steve
                      My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

[QUOTE=steverh;45758I suspect that a few more increases in range and reduced charge times will see an explosion in sales.[/QUOTE]

Lithium cells?

Harold
                        The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by steverh View Post
                          There's a huge amount of research into batteries and other power sources and I suspect that a few more increases in range and reduced charge times will see an explosion in sales.
                          Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Following on from my last post, I've been researching to see if I could drive an electric car to Stafford (my local town centre) and charge it up again while I shop.

But no I can't as the only charging points in Stafford are at a couple of hotels it seems, both some way from the shops!
                            Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

An article to clear up some misconceptions / for further discussion:
                              https://www.theguardian.com/football...-electric-carshttps://www.lowcvp.org.uk/news

@Zuiko - basically, the extra power station stuff would be more than offset by the reduction in usage of fossil fuels in the engines themselves (this both in terms of energy used, and also in terms of CO2 produced). In Norway and France, the difference would be greatest as they rely on hydroelectric and nuclear for energy generation, but we're not talking about NO / FR. Here in the UK, our energy mix has changed in the past few years, but solar and wind are now significant; and gas / nuclear basically form our "backbone" at present, with more gas and also coal-turned-back-on taking up any slack on a calm winter's night.
                              Last edited by Kami; 13th September 2018, 02:31 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by CJJE View Post
                                Following on from my last post, I've been researching to see if I could drive an electric car to Stafford (my local town centre) and charge it up again while I shop.

But no I can't as the only charging points in Stafford are at a couple of hotels it seems, both some way from the shops!
                                https://map.openchargemap.io/
                                Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X