Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What a mad world we live in......

Originally posted by KeithL View Post

Interesting that the sensationalist story that I read was actually in the Express on line.
    What, that great bastion of truth and impartiality? Surely not?
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
      Having read it properly again, it wasn't in the complaint, and her granddaughter said that she made no such complaint. It was, she said, made up by the newspaper. The complaint was about two aspects: (a) the changed flight, without the lady being told in advance, as she should have been, and (b) she and her lady friend had asked for a hotel in the flat new part of Benidorm, as well as a ground floor room each. They arrived to discover they were put in the old part, which is very hilly, and the bus didn't even go up to the hotel, so a walk uphill was necessary to get to it. They were given rooms on the 14th floor, complained to the hotel - there was no Thomas Cook rep present - and were moved down to the second floor. One room had no balcony. She said that the Spanish people were very nice to her, as were the many people of other nationalities there. She clearly had good grounds for the complaint.
      It's almost frightening how a seemingly straightforward, non controversial story can be so easily converted into fake news.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
        It's almost frightening how a seemingly straightforward, non controversial story can be so easily converted into fake news.
        Propaganda seems to have become the new truth, John. What I have seen developing in the way things are presented in the press over the last 20 years has becoming very disturbing. In my view.

However, looking again online this morning, I see that the Sun has printed the lady's version, but I haven't seen such a move by the Express.

Comment

Working...
        X