Router Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Problems

It looks like my router is acting up - the power seems to be going up and down. It's an Asus RT-N66U running 'Shibby Tomato'. It seems to have started during the spell of hot weather and I'm wondering if this has affected the transmitter.

I'm toying with buying a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk. Has anyone had any experience with these, please?

Jim

Re: Router Problems

Are there other or new routers nearby? They can often affect WiFi performance. The all-powerful BT devices in particular seem to overpower lesser routers.

I use a Draytek router at present, but have previously used Netgear devices and found them very good.
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Must admit I fiddled and *arte* with routers for many a year. Eventually gave up and paid for a router supplied by my provider (PlusNet), and have never had a problem since....
      Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I installed a free WiFi analyser on my Android phone when we were having problems with WiFi.

This showed that our main WiFi access point was swapping channels with our secondary access point and our neighbour's WiFi every few minutes. At one time channels were set manually but WiFi access points (usually but not always on routers) now select and change channels automatically which can cause problems if there is local channel congestion.

If possible it is worth switching off the older frequencies, (B, C) and using the new higher frequency ranges such as AC as the data rates are higher and there are many more channels available.

I suspect much of the problem is that most people use 'default' settings for WiFi thereby causing conflicts with nearby WiFi systems also set to default.

One of the most annoying is people not adding passwords so that your laptop connects to the neighbours WiFi. There is an easy solution to this; you log on to your neighbours router using the IP address and set a password for them.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Don't routers from providers come with a password printed on the router itself? Certainly my Plusnet one did, and a handy little card with it on as well.....
          Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
            Don't routers from providers come with a password printed on the router itself? Certainly my Plusnet one did, and a handy little card with it on as well.....
            Most routers do come with a password now, but that was not always the case, and there are still a lot of old, unprotected routers out there.

Bizarrely WiFi access points don't come with any password by default, (I think the assumption is that they will be installed by a professional). Many also have a DHCP server installed and enabled by default, which causes some interesting problems (conflicts) if connected to an existing network.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
              Are there other or new routers nearby? They can often affect WiFi performance. The all-powerful BT devices in particular seem to overpower lesser routers.
              Yes, I think that's at least part of the problem. I've tried changing channels, but the routers seem to 'chase' me by changing channels. I've got a range extender somewhere that I'll dig out.

I use a Draytek router at present, but have previously used Netgear devices and found them very good.
              I've been looking at reviews for Netgear routers and there are reports of reliability issues.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                I've been looking at reviews for Netgear routers and there are reports of reliability issues.

Jim
                Netgear used to be a reliable choice,, but like everything else I suspect they have been cost reduced, sorry, value engineered to hell.

I tend to use commercial equipment rather than domestic which isn't as pretty but is usually very reliable.

Most of these devices also have upgradeable firmware which can make a big difference to performance. My Draytek router wouldn't work with our BT Fibre connection for ages, so I stuck with the BT router, but a firmware update about a year ago fixed it.
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I had exactly the same problem when someone using a series 6 BT router (one of the 300-mere signal ones!) popped up down the road. I talked to Sky about it, and the guy told me how to change channel. He suggested a channel, and it worked perfectly. Then problems started up again. A second BT series 6 router had appeared nearby. So I thought to my self, "this is pointless", and reluctantly connected my router to the computer by ethernet cable. Other than much more global issues, my computer has been fine since. However, my smartphone wouldn't work using WiFi for much of the day. So I turned WiFi off, thus using my 4G connection, and it has been almost trouble free since.

An ethernet cable, Jim, is much cheaper than a new router!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
                    Also mush faster and more secure.

I installed a Gigabit Ethernet network in the house shortly after we moved in, all connected to a patch board and 24 port Netgear switch in the cupboard under the stairs.

We have a relay Wireless Access point on the ceiling upstairs (looks like a smoke detector) powered by PoE.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
                      Yes, I use one for the W10 PC - but I only use the PC rarely (W10 - ptui, ptui!)

I mostly use a laptop (as I'm doing now) with a wireless connection.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                        Yes, I use one for the W10 PC - but I only use the PC rarely (W10 - ptui, ptui!)

I mostly use a laptop (as I'm doing now) with a wireless connection.

Jim
                        Nowt to stop you using an ethernet cable, and unplugging it, when you want to walk around.

Comment

I have a blonde sister in law.

She rang one day to ask advice about how to do something on the computer, so sitting at my own PC I went through it with her, step by step. For every instruction that I gave her I heard footsteps fading away, and then coming back again to the 'phone.

Eventually I said that it was a pity that she didn't have a cordless phone as it would save time. There was a long pause until she said, "oh its on my laptop; I suppose I could bring it to the phone."
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
                            Priceless

John
                            Yes; she is always a source of amusement at family gatherings.

She reminds me a lot of Alice in the Vicar of Dibley, but she isn't as sharp minded.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Quite a few years ago my wife came in and said she thinks she has a flat tyre on her car. But its only flat at the bottom so is it OK to drive.

I won't let her forget she asked that question.
                              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X