Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GTech vacuum cleaners

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
    Drilling engineering or burnt rustic brick with even an 18 volt good quality battery hammer drill takes twice as long as with a 240V mains equivalent and replacement batteries are definitely not cheap.

John
    Come to think of it, I have never come across a rechargeable core drill!
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
      Who uses mains powered drills nowadays?

Anyone who wants to put anything on the wall around here. Solid stone walls just laugh at battery drills!
      Regards
      Richard

Comment

I have used a G-Tech. It was powerful, easy to empty, simple to use, but it ripped some of the cord out of an old carpet in our flat in London, so I gave it away and went back to a mains Hoover without a bag.
        All the best

Phil
        https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc

Comment

We had a "Dustbuster" some years ago (so it would have been Ni-Cad based). It never held its charge, only worked for about 10 minutes even after a fresh charge, and had so little suction if left dirt behine rather than pick it up.

I have had many cordless drills (Ni-Cad and Li-Ion). The good ones are good but only in wood and plaster. For brick, concrete, or stone you need a mains powered motor. I have even found on some walls that my regular mains power hammer drill takes an age and have had to switch to my mains powered SDS drill (which is normally like a knife through butter at anything I want it for).
          Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
          Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
          Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
          Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
          Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
            I have even found on some walls that my regular mains power hammer drill takes an age and have had to switch to my mains powered SDS drill (which is normally like a knife through butter at anything I want it for).
            What is a SDS drill?
            sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
              What is a SDS drill?

https://www.its.co.uk/blog/buying-gu...-an-sds-drill/
              Olympus E-M10/12-50/Panny 100-300 + Sony A77,Sigma 17-70,Sigma 10-20,Tamron 90,Minolta 70-210,Tamron Sigma 100-300 F4,Tamron 17-50 F2.8,Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Fisheye,Sony HVL-F42 + Panny TZ25
              Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/shotokan101/
              RIA my Images

Comment

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
                ...There is simply no comparison between mains powered tools and battery power. Mains wins every time. Maybe the same with vacuum cleaners...
                Don't tell Dyson. I think think they have shot themselves in the foot with abandoning corded vacuum cleaners - but maybe they did it with a battery operated one.
                Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                Learn something new every day

Comment

My 900W Miele has far more suck than my 2000W Vax ever managed. Saving energy by good design makes good sense. The Vax did double as a fan heater quite well though which was handy in the winter!
                  Regards
                  Richard

Comment

We have a Dyson v8, its brilliant. It cost a pretty penny a couple of years ago, but I'm sure refurbished ones would be a good buy now. I wouldn't go back to a corded vacuum again. Plenty of charge to clean around the house in one go on the normal power. Easy to use and empty, bit of a faff to clean properly inside, but the brush bars come off very easily to clean.

The v8 was much quieter than the v6 which was a big factor to buying it. Intelligent battery management is also a plus.

The Dyson digital motor is a work of art. This guy does a good review, but watch it if you are around polite company or offended easily...

https://youtu.be/i0Rens9oKb4
                    My Flickr

Comment

I would agree with al kaholik, the Dyson V8 is definitely a very good machine. We have an old mains upright Dyson and a pull along newer mains dyson and the V8 is in many ways better, the electronic brush head is a marvel and its suction is excellent. In all fairness, many older Dyson 'stick' vacuums were not good at all, their suction was poor and the brush heads were very prone to stopping. We have a DC35 stick Dyson which belonged to the M.I.L. and it really is not worth having in comparison to the V8. I personally would only buy either the V8 or the new V10 out of the whole of the Dyson range. That is based on experience.

Comment

We’ve had a Bosch Athlet upright cordless for a couple of years and, within limits, it does a decent job especially for some types of use.

It’s light and manoeuvrable so really good for small spaces and for doing the stairs. It suits a “clean 2-3 rooms every few days, working your way round the house every week or two” approach rather than “spend all day cleaning and vacuuming the whole house” because of battery life. Works for us.

It’s brilliant on hard floors, but less good at removing stuff from carpets (or, rather, full power is needed on carpets, which runs the battery down quickly). On full power it seems fine for removing animal hairs etc.

It has been very reliable as long as you dismantle it properly to clean the dirt bay, head and filter. No noticeable battery fading, yet.

We also have a cylinder vacuum we use for tasks appropriate for that.

When I was a junior doctor the Hoover Dustette was famous in casualty for causing a particularly grievous and embarrassing injury to gentlemen keen to exploit its errrm suck. Depending on the anatomy with which they were blessed, the rotor blades were often just the wrong distance from the hose socket, and the result quite ruined many Saturday nights.
                        I believe the design of the machine was adjusted in later models to make it less risky.
                        Regards,
                        Mark

------------------------------
                        http://www.microcontrast.com
                        Too much Oly gear.
                        Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                        Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
                          When I was a junior doctor the Hoover Dustette was famous in casualty for causing a particularly grievous and embarrassing injury to gentlemen keen to exploit its errrm suck. Depending on the anatomy with which they were blessed, the rotor blades were often just the wrong distance from the hose socket, and the result quite ruined many Saturday nights.
                          I believe the design of the machine was adjusted in later models to make it less risky.
                          Thanks for the warning, Mark!

Jim

Comment

Bit late on this thread, but have to admit being a lazy b****r and I use a Robotic carpet / floor cleaner. That wY I get more time for birding...
                            Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks guys. Got a GTech Air Ram K9. Works a treat, just as good as the Dyson (when it worked).
                              sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
                                Thanks guys. Got a GTech Air Ram K9. Works a treat, just as good as the Dyson (when it worked).
                                How do you find the build quality? They always look vrry flimsy in the TV adverts

Jim
                                Olympus E-M10/12-50/Panny 100-300 + Sony A77,Sigma 17-70,Sigma 10-20,Tamron 90,Minolta 70-210,Tamron Sigma 100-300 F4,Tamron 17-50 F2.8,Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Fisheye,Sony HVL-F42 + Panny TZ25
                                Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/shotokan101/
                                RIA my Images

Comment

Working...
                                X