Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

When you gotta brag, you gotta brag...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you gotta brag, you gotta brag...

Not usually given to blowing my own trumpet, but going to make an exception just this once, since I'm sufficiently chuffed to do so ..

I just gained my FRPS!

I'm sure this audience will all know that's a Fellowship of the Royal Photographic Society. I've had a somewhat ambivalent relationship with the RPS over many years, thinking much of the stuff that gains an "F" to be not worthy of the paper it's printed on, but some of it is truly outstanding work.

What prompted me to have a go, was seeing panels published in the Journal getting an F, and - for some of them - swearing to myself "You got an F for *that*?! *I* could flaming well do better than *that*!"

So I decided to put my money where my mouth was. And it worked!!

My panel is not stuff I'd put on my own walls in a million years, but when you play in the RPS sandpit, you play to *their* rules, so I went high-concept, abstract and monochrome. Not to mention high-tech post-processing in both photoshop and iPad. I was kind of surprised that it all went through with no referrals, and got the official rubber stamp of approval today.

If you want a look, the panel may be seen on the link below. It may not be your taste - not even sure it's *my* taste, to be honest! - but, hey, they gave me an F and I'm not arguing with them!

https://www.mmrainey.com/Photography/FRPS-Panel-2018/

And of course, all originally shot on Olympus!
    Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Re: When you gotta brag, you gotta brag...

Well done! I like the panel too.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Congratulations. I also like the panel.
      I see what you mean by significant post processing a lot of work went in to achieve the results you displayed.
      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Congratulations Margaret.............

Well done...
        Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Many congratulations!

The work you’ve done there deserves the plaudits!

Comment

Fantastic - well done. If I remember correctly, there is only a one in ten acceptance rate.

David
            The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

Margaret, you can blow every instrument in the brass section of the orchestra! Whatever our views on what it takes to be awarded an 'F' they do not give this distinction lightly and this is a terrific achievement. It is all the more praiseworthy that you departed from your usual style to concentrate upon the type of subject matter and treatment that would be likely to appeal to the distinctions panel at the RPS.

Well done and congratulations, you deserve to feel proud.
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Thank you, all. Normal service will be resumed with a few more infrared shots tomorrow .. tonight, the wine glasses are out!
                Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by MargaretR View Post
                  .. tonight, the wine glasses are out!
                  That's not an easy subject to photograph, you have to watch the reflections.
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Congratulations - please will you show us some of the images you used to start with to create these shots
                    This space for rent

Comment

Congratulations.

I'm curious... did you achieve both LRPS and ARPS beforehand or skip one or other (or both!)?
                      Steve

Comment

Great to see you got this result in an area you do usually dabble in.
                        This shows your talent as a photographer/ image maker shining through.
                        Very well done.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                        Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Very well done and well deserved, they are great images in my view. Personally I prefer the ones where the actual subject is more recognisable and less abstract. Can I ask what made you chose that style and subject for your submission? The reason I ask is because to improve my photography I had wondered about having a go myself one day but looking at your images just don't think I have the imagination or skill to come up with anything like that.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                            Congratulations - please will you show us some of the images you used to start with to create these shots
                            Certainly. I'll put something together over the weekend.
                            Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by raichea View Post
                              Congratulations.

I'm curious... did you achieve both LRPS and ARPS beforehand or skip one or other (or both!)?
                              I got the 'L' by exemption by having done a City & Guilds Photography certificate in the mid 90's, and the 'A' in the late 90's. Always say I got the 'A' by accident, as it hadn't crossed my mind to do it, but I was at a printing course and the tutor was Something Big at the RPS; he suggested I submit a panel from the images I'd taken along to print (plus others from the same trip), so I did for the hell of it, and was very surprised to sail through. So I never actually 'worked' for the ARPS, it just kind of happened. Then it took about 20 years, and Retirement, before I had the time and energy to think about the FRPS. But now that one's checked off the Bucket List!
                              Margaret

Comment

Working...
                              X