Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    Computers didn't really become mainstream until the 1990's, less than ten years before Y2K.

Is it really conceivable that the IT industry and others didn't foresee Y2K? Or was it just a big money making scheme?

If your first point is true then I am not sure where I have been all my life.

I designed mainframe computers in the 1970's at English Electric and then ICL
    Only big companies could afford them so were never a volume business.

I serviced and fixed computers in the 1980's, has no one heard of Mini Computers, used by businesses of all sizes.
    They were built and sold by companies like DEC, WANG, Data General, HP, Systime(UK). The screens were all text based no graphics as such.

Then the IBM PC was the dawn of the personal computer.
    followed by Graphical Workstations for compute intensive applications like CAD/CAM in the late 80's

In the 1990's the early Internet started. Remember the DOT Com Boom.
    Every company had to get on the internet it was a crazy time. I was in Sales and General Management then and the world of computers was exploding.

Then we had the Y2K panic, no one had thought about it when developing their operating systems and apps.

The rest is history.
    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
      If your first point is true then I am not sure where I have been all my life.

I designed mainframe computers in the 1970's at English Electric and then ICL
      Only big companies could afford them so were never a volume business.
      Yes. So they were not mainstream!

I was referring to Personal Computers rather than mainframes, which I should have thought was obvious, but I have now amended my original post.
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I rarely use Windows nowadays, although still got a couple of really small machines I keep up to date, mainly use a virtual machine install of Windows when I need to, it’s a great way to run a computer. Not yet noticed it in W10 but occasionally in Win7 you still get dialogue boxes and error message that are coded in the old Windows look and they do make you wonder about how much effort actually goes (doesn’t go!) into the so called newer versions.
        That reminds me, I’ve got a silly Linx 7 in tablet PC that I need to update... that can be this mornings proper job avoidance technique!

Comment

I serviced and fixed computers in the 1980's, has no one heard of Mini Computers, used by businesses of all sizes.
          They were built and sold by companies like DEC, WANG, Data General, HP, Systime(UK). The screens were all text based no graphics as such.

Don't forget Computer Automation Inc and the "Naked Mini". I worked for them in the late 70s/early 80s when they claimed to be the third largest manufacturer of minicomputers, behind DEG and Data General. And who could forget Wang's advertising campaign at that time which used the slogan "Wang Cares" .
          Regards
          Richard

Comment

They were built and sold by companies like DEC, WANG, Data General, HP, Systime(UK).
            Wang we’re our main competitor in the word processing world when I worked for AES (Canadian company) and I’ve fond memories of servicing a DG Nova 12(?) with an EMM Caelus fixed hard disk. Seem to remember having to boot the thing with a short sequence of key presses on some of the funny coloured piano key type switches that ran along the front of the device.

Talking of servicing, I wonder how many people have replaced individual keys on a standard qwerty keyboard or knew that those on the ones used by professional typists had different spring tensions for different keys! You couldn’t put a number key switch into a letter space cos it would feel different to the user. Nowadays keyboards cost pence and are mostly throwaway crap!

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
              And who could forget Wang's advertising campaign at that time which used the slogan "Wang Cares" .
              Remember the instrumentation company (do they still exist?) called Wayne Kerr?
              That always raised a smile!

Comment

Yes, apparently the founder was a big fan of Deborah Kerr and John Wayne. They made automatic test equipment for electronic circuit boards. I think they were taken over in the not too distant past.
                Regards
                Richard

Comment

I forgot about CA. Also forgot that IBM were the biggest manufacturers of computers for many years before they sold it all off, including their PC Laptop business in the end.

I actually worked for Wang in the City for 4 years in their heyday but their whole modus operandi was set to fail with the advent of the PC and the word processor apps that came available. Then Microsoft office nailed the lid on their coffin. Their advertising agency were based in the US and had no idea why the brits thought it was hilarious.
                  Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I actually worked for Wang in the City for 4 years in their heyday but their whole modus operandi was set to fail with the advent of the PC and the word processor apps that came available.
                    AES suffered the same fate, although we did embrace the PC eventually and at the time I was one of the few who actually knew anything about PCs in the company and the writing had been on the wall for literally years but no-one could see it, or maybe more a case of no-one would believe it.

Comment

Computer Automation expired because the founder and president Dave Methvin did not believe the microprocessor would ever beat a minicomputer's performance. By the time he realised that it would it was too late.
                      Regards
                      Richard

Comment

Competition sometime comes from where you least expect it.

Look at photography.
                        How many people said digital will never replace film ?
                        or
                        Smartphone cameras will never replace point and shoot ?
                        or
                        mirrorless will never replace DSLR ?

Some CEO's fail. to look beyond their own back yard.

or remainers who say there is no life after leaving the EU?
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                          Not yet noticed it in W10 but occasionally in Win7 you still get dialogue boxes and error message that are coded in the old Windows look and they do make you wonder about how much effort actually goes (doesn’t go!) into the so called newer versions.
                          Most people object to new user interfaces rather than the new software as such.

I remember some earlier versions of Windows (W98 I think) offered a simple option to select the Windows Classic interface rather than the Windows for Playgroups default. If that option was still available (i.e. a Windows 7 interface on Windows 10) I am sure Microsoft would cop a lot less flak.
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Competition sometime comes from where you least expect it.

Look at photography.
                            How many people said digital will never replace film ?
                            But it never will. Not properly.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

The move away from plate cameras was the downfall of photograpy - if you have not spent an hour setting up your camera to take a picture than the picture was not worth taking.
                              No gain without the pain.
                              This space for rent

Comment

Re computers - I used to enjoy watching the lorry loads of 168s being shipped from the factory and taking a walk around the assembly area to see the final assembly and test of the Sys 370/168 (I think).

The next best thing was to be in the computer room whenn the EPO (Emergency Power Off) button was accidentally pressed - the silence was eerie as the air con shut down and all the fans in the machines powered down. However one had to prove that you were not near an EPO button.
                                This space for rent

Comment

Working...
                                X