Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Originally posted by Bengeo View Post
    All this nostalgia for the 1950's ... Don't worry we'll soon be back there. I'm going to dig out my old ration book.
    I still have a Ration Book from 1972.
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

• Comment

Is this the real reason for Brexit? https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...idorm-13075153

See my main thread if you want to comment further....... I didn't want to pollute it with comments about Brexit.

Comment

The Ration Books issued in 1972 were for petrol as a result of the Suez Crisis at the time, but were never used.

I had a Honda 50 moped at the time and I think I was allowed half a Gallon a month or suchlike.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
            The Ration Books issued in 1972 were for petrol as a result of the Suez Crisis at the time, but were never used.

I had a Honda 50 moped at the time and I think I was allowed half a Gallon a month or suchlike.
            I married in 73, and soon after, we bought an old banger to supplement our petrol 'ration', but that was imposed by garages (like two gallons per visit, and no more than one visit per day or something of that order - depended on the garage) We had to use a car to get us to work, in different locations across Coventry.

The old banger was an Austin A35 van. It served us, and afterwards my brother, rather well for quite a long time!

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
              The last time I was in Greece - 60's - given the standard of driving, a Leopard tank would be the choice mode of transport to go shopping or sight-seeing.

Something to note, is that Greece funds more than the UK or any other EU member state towards NATO. This might explain the large number of Leopard taxi tanks.
              Always amused me in Gk Cyrpus seeing the local priest in all his regalia getting into a 4x4 twin cab, going visiting his flock!

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                I remember my mum and dads first TV. It had a magnifying glass in front of the small screen.

Bring back the Wooden Tops I say, now they spoke a lot of sense.
                We still have 'em, Dave. They are called MPs now.....

As for TV magnifiers, when I was very small, about 1949/50, there was a shop in Coventry in the end of the somewhat wrecked Drinkwater Arcade called H A Stone. They had two windows of Woolies' store (which was also just a burned out shell, with a canvas and corrugated iron roof and no upper floors); I well remember not just the early TVs, but they also sold a variety of devices to enlarge the picture; and one TV, a Philco, was a back projection model. The front 'screen' was thin cloth, and there was a tiny tube at the back, which was very bright. You could only watch it in a pitch dark room, or you couldn't see the picture - but it was bigger than all the others! Again, don't know if you remember, many of those magnifiers were oil filled; a friend's cracked, and leaked all the oil over the lounge carpet, ruining it; and his parents couldn't get another carpet, due to the rationing! They dumped the magnifier and put up with the silly little picture.

Comment

I used my vote, as I said I would.

Harold
                  The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

We had a goldfish bowl on top of the telly, which somehow became cracked. We found the goldfish flapping around in an inch of water, the remainder of which had found its way into the back of the telly!

My older brother took the back off and spent about an hour drying it out with a hair dryer. It worked perfectly after that.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Anyhow, according to the BBC it seems China is 'training for strikes' on US targets so Brexit will soon be the last of our problems.

Remove sharp objects from your pockets, put you head between your knees and kiss your ar5e goodbye.
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

• Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                          Anyhow, according to the BBC it seems China is 'training for strikes' on US targets so Brexit will soon be the last of our problems.
                          Bombers? Perhaps they are tired of waiting for a supply of missiles from North Korea?

Harold
                          The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                            Bombers? Perhaps they are tired of waiting for a supply of missiles from North Korea?

Harold
                            You mean they aren't supplying them to N Korea after all?

Comment

Well, having considered the contents of today's posts and having listened to the advice of others I think we should all make ourselves feel better by pretending that Brexit isn't happening over a nice cup of tea.

It really wouldn't do to marginalise the Leave camp by admitting that Brexit is a problem especially when we don't even know what the outcome will be.
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Seems to me that over the last few day's, we have now been open 'all hours'.

I must admit that this thread has had it's up-and-downs but one thing it has been very useful for, is that it has provided much needed factual information that was sorely missing from both sides of the great divide during the run up to the peoples vote. A case, perhaps, of the blind leading the blind.

So, before the final curtain descends, to that end, for me at least, I'd like to thank thoss who provided the said info, and to all, for the humour, 'barbed' or otherwise that made it such a lively discussion platform.

Just for the record... I still stand by my thought that Baldrick's 'cunning plan' will bear fruit.
                                It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Working...
                                X