Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
    Brexit is compatible with combating global warming: In this country, on bright, sunny days, recent models of cars are compelled to keep their headlights on. There is no way of turning them off. This is an EU regulation because we might run down some Reindeer. In other words, Scandinavia has daylight issues so we all have to keep our lights on. It is Volvo syndrome gone mad.

Harold
    Not sure it is so we don't run over a reindeer Harold. I prefer to have my lights on so I can be seen by other rd users, and yes, even in the summer, the coast is negligible when compared with the cost of getting us where we are in the brexit fiasco.
    sigpicDave

Comment

Daylight driving lights have been part of my life for decades thanks to the sense of SAAB and Volvo vehicle designers.

Every time you fasten the safety belt in your car thank Volvo for not charging for the use of the patent for the seat belt style we all use. The auto garotting seat belt introduced in the US died out after a very short period of time.

As a bonus having driving lights in the 70s was a great way of annoying the French who would flash their lights very aggressively when they met you in La Belle France.
      This space for rent

Comment

I wasn't aware of any legislation requiring headlights to be on when vehicle is moving. However in common with others my car has daytime running lights which seems to me to be a good idea, I'm just puzzled as to why this only applies to front and not rear lights.
        Regards
        Richard

Comment

Agree about why only the fronts. Often see cars in the gloom with the front DRLs showing nicely but nothing at the rear. Ridiculous.
          Don’t get me started on the one lamp brigade or even the ones with a badly fitted and hence misaligned bulb.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
            'm just puzzled as to why this only applies to front and not rear lights.
            Is there any way of turning them on separately on any older car?

Harold
            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

This is utter stupidity. We should be able to get the originators of this Sectioned!

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                Daylight driving lights have been part of my life for decades thanks to the sense of SAAB and Volvo vehicle designers.
                A facility probably introduced as a courtesy to other road users, giving advanced warning of an approaching Volvo or Saab driver, so extra caution required.

Jax

Comment

Whatever happened to "dim-dip" headlights? My first Saab back in the 80s had daytime running lights front and rear. The second one had dim-dip headlights. The third, fourth and fifth had neither. My two Alfa Romeos had (and have) front running lights but no way to switch the sidelights on alone so no, it's not possible to switch the rear lights on without the headlights (except when parked). All the cars mentioned have relays which switch the headlights off with the ignition, and I cannot understand why that isn't universal as well. Surely it's no more complicated to arrange than a buzzer that sounds when you open the front door as per Vauxhalls and possibly others?

Back on topic, I finally received a reply from my MP to my letter of 3 weeks ago about the possibility of a second referendum. As expected it was just a standard party line response. Waste of time.
                  Regards
                  Richard

Comment

European Union Directive 2008/89/EC requires all passenger cars and small delivery vans first type approved on or after 7 February 2011 in the EU to come equipped with daytime running lights. The mandate was extended to trucks and buses in August 2012.

At least we know where the blame lies

Jax

Comment

Daytime running lights yes, headlights no. I think it's a sensible idea but as usual, some manufacturers take it to extremes with a battery of extremely bright LEDs arranged in pretty patterns which are more distraction than safety aid!
                      Regards
                      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                        Daytime running lights yes, headlights no. I think it's a sensible idea but as usual, some manufacturers take it to extremes with a battery of extremely bright LEDs arranged in pretty patterns which are more distraction than safety aid!
                        As the purpose of DRL's is to increase visibility of the vehicle, if you find the LED'S distracting, they've obviously served their purpose.

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                          European Union Directive 2008/89/EC requires all passenger cars and small delivery vans first type approved on or after 7 February 2011 in the EU to come equipped with daytime running lights. The mandate was extended to trucks and buses in August 2012.

At least we know where the blame lies

Jax
                          My emboldening.
                          All rather predates that, initially to the early 2000s for the Japanese study mentioned in section 8 HERE

There were/are many subsequent meetings of "World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations (WP.29)" which is a UN initiative, though it may be convenient to blame the EU, a bit like bent bananas.

Yes, there's hyperlinks just to give folks something to complain about in this season of goodwill.
                          Best Regards
                          Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
                          They're Watching You!

Comment

Can we have bent cucumbers when we leave? Purchase in Ib and Oz?
                            Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                              Can we have bent cucumbers when we leave? Purchase in Ib and Oz?
                              Bulk purchase at bargain price.

They will go well with the salmon we will be keeping to ourselves.

Harold

Comment

I have just been listening to a programme about the history of our membership of the Common Market/EU. Leading up to our joining, some of the political heavyweights were predicting that membership to be an economic disaster for Britain.

Harold

Comment

Working...
                                X