Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Gigrin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Gigrin

Anyone been to see the Red Kites at Gigrin in Wales, http://www.gigrin.co.uk?
    Thinking of going for a day beginning of July. Not sure if I need to book a photographers hide or just turn up on spec.
    I have the Oly 40-150mm Pro + 1.4 converter, Lumix 100-300 and the Oly 300mm Pro. Plus short zooms.
    sigpicDave

Re: Gigrin

Yes I went there years ago. Not sure if anything has changed, but we (RSPB Group) went into what you might call a hide, or observation hut, quite long and roomy, and watched the Red Kites swoop for their dinner. As a group we might have booked something special, but was not aware of different hides...
    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

There is also the ICBP at Newent in Gloucestershire. I've wanted to visit there for some years, it's on the "to do" list

Might be a bit easier to get to as well.

Steve
      Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
      Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
      My website

Comment

Steve - the ICBP at Newent is well worth a visit, especially at their Autumn event weekend.

Dave - I've been to Gigrin a couple of times. They have some observation only huts (although you can still use your camera in there) at ground level, and a photographers hut (also at ground level) which is more expensive but has larger openings better suited to using a camera. Then there are some raised platforms for photography which are naturally more expensive again. I found the ground level photographers hut just fine. I've not been there since I transitioned to Olympus and was planning to go later this year.
        I haven't found the need to pre-book previously, but it may be worth phoning them beforehand. I would imagine if you booked the ground floor hut you could always upgrade on the day if there's space available. For the higher level platforms space may be more limited so might be worth pre-booking that.

Comment

Thanks guys. Very helpful.
          sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckdiver View Post
            There is also the ICBP at Newent in Gloucestershire. I've wanted to visit there for some years, it's on the "to do" list

Might be a bit easier to get to as well.

Steve
            Or Watlington in Oxfordshire - it's even nearer. It was the original release site. If you stand on the hill the kites often sail past you below eye level.

In much of Bucks and Oxfordshire kites are so common as to be scarcely worth noting!

They're not entirely popular with the locals because of the mess they make on cars, and patios!

Jim

Comment

Late last July I was at Chorleywood Cemetary Hertfordshire at about 12:30 and there were quite a few Red Kites flying overhead, the release site was not far from there.
              This space for rent

Comment

It's worth paying the extra for the photographers hides at Gigrin. I got my best photos later on after many people had left. There were fewer birds (which made it easier!) and the sun was lower, so I would advise allowing plenty of time.

I would also recommend going to this site http://www.visitmidwales.co.uk/Devil...&venue=1021603
                It's near Aberystwyth and is a much more natural site than Gigrin and it's free apart from the parking charge.
                Andy
                bengeo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bengeo View Post
                  I would also recommend going to this site http://www.visitmidwales.co.uk/Devil...&venue=1021603
                  It's near Aberystwyth and is a much more natural site than Gigrin and it's free apart from the parking charge.
                  That one looks good, but I spent ages driving to Aberystwyth some years ago from London.

Jim

Comment

Now that would be an idea for a group day out!
                    Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
                    Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
                    Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Comment

Originally posted by cinders View Post
                      Now that would be an idea for a group day out!
                      OK for you Cinders, but Aberystwyth is virtually the other side of the World for us in the Home Counties!

Jim

Comment

I meant the Gigrin one actually, but still a long way for most I agree!!
                        Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
                        Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
                        Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Comment

Working...
                        X