Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

So I keep seeing E-M1 mk 1s going cheap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I keep seeing E-M1 mk 1s going cheap...

here
    Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
    Flickr

Comment

Re: So I keep seeing E-M1 mk 1s going cheep...

If they're going cheep they're probably House Sparrows, if they're going chip, chip they're probably Chipping Sparrows.
      It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Re: So I keep seeing E-M1 mk 1s going cheap...

I am currently using an EM1 Mk 1 having used the EM5 Mk 1 for several years.

I am still very fond of the EM5 which I keep as a backup, but balance and handing of the EM1 is much better with the built in grip, whilst the controls are better once you get used to them. There are also two user defined modes that can be selected with the press of a button.

The EVF on the EM1 provides better definition and is faster refreshing, you have focus peaking which is very handy, and battery life is much better.

There are other features that I haven't got around to trying yet including focus stacking, but all in all the EM1 feels a much more professional camera than the EM5.

However, in terms of image quality I haven't seen any real differences myself, although I'm sure the pixel peepers will put me right on that.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I had an E-M5 and upgraded to an E-M1. It's a better camera in every way, except for IQ where there really is very little difference.
          Paul
          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
          flickr
          Portfolio Site
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
            I had an E-M5 and upgraded to an E-M1. It's a better camera in every way, except for IQ where there really is very little difference.
            Seriously, IQ of EM5 = EM1? You've made me think somewhat, I was thinking of a used EM5 Mk2 for neg scanning, but...
            Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
              Seriously, IQ of EM5 = EM1? You've made me think somewhat, I was thinking of a used EM5 Mk2 for neg scanning, but...
              Well if the negs you're scanning are large enough (e.g. Actual large format) then hi res mode would count for something?

But yes, as far as M43 goes, a 16MP sensor is just another 16MP sensor. My question is about other potential advantages and whether or not they would matter to me.

Comment

In fact, in some ways (long exposure noise and rendition of reds from raw), the E-M1's IQ is inferior to the E-M5.

As to what's better:

- Much better handling (esp if you're a back button focuser)
                - Many more features (Live Comp, focus stacking, keystone)
                - Better AF (faster, more points, more modes)
                - Faster overall (deeper buffer, faster processor)
                - Better EVF display (bigger and better)
                - Better built

A no brainer really at current used prices.
                Paul
                E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                flickr
                Portfolio Site
                Instagram

Comment

In fact, in some ways (long exposure noise and rendition of reds from raw), the E-M1's IQ is inferior to the E-M5.

As to what's better:

- Better built

I was quite surprised when I bought my PL7 (s/h off eBay, 1200 frames use); apart from lack of VF, it seems to do everything the M5 does, and I prefer the shutter release, which seems smoother than the M5.

So an M1 would have to be significantly better than either for it to be worthwhile to me to change. And i wouldn't want to keep the M5 if I did change.

Comment

Surprised that people think the E-M5 MkI IQ is as good as or better than the E-M1 MkI. I've had the E-M5 MkI and now use the E-M1 MkI and the E-M10 MkII. Both of these seem to yield better IQ than the E-M5 MkI, or maybe it's because I've bought better lenses since I upgraded?

The E-M1 MkI doesn't have an anti-aliasing filter so that should result in sharper photos when using the same lens as compared to the E-M5 MkI. Here is a specs comparison:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/came.../olympus/e-m1/

Robin Wong also seemed to think E-M1 IQ was better than that of the E-M5:

https://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/201...ison-with.html

Aside from that the E-M1 CAF is usable (but not brilliant), whereas on the E-M5 it just doesn't work.

The E-M1 MkI gives the best value for money in m4/3 at the moment in my opinion. For me it was a very worthwhile upgrade. I don't miss the E-M5 MkI at all.

Comment

As to what's better:

- Better built

That being E-M1 having a Panasonic sensor while all the others (E-M5 & later models) having a Sony sensor with better noise handling on chip (so I've been led to believe).

I certainly picked up my E-M1 as first choice over the E-M5 (having it still).
                      Ross
                      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
                      X