Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Half Life of digital cameras ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Half Life of digital cameras ?

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

Forgive my ignorance but did Leiter and Haas use transparency film or colour negative as the effects of aging on these films is very different?
    As far as I'm aware Saul Leiter used film, but I'm not too sure about Ernst Haas.
    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Haas' images certainly look so saturated that he has to have used Kodachrome transparency film in that era, and his Wikipedia article says

"In the late 1940s, Haas switched from his medium format Rolleiflex to the smaller 35mm Leica rangefinder camera, which he used consistently for the rest of his career.[8][3] Once he began working in color, he most often used Kodachrome, known for its rich, saturated colors. To print his color work, Haas used the dye transfer process whenever possible. An expensive, complex process most frequently used at the time for advertising, dye transfer allowed for great control over color hue and saturation."

William Eggleston was another early colour exponent of Kodachrome and dye transfer printing - a lot of his images lose impact when reproduced on screens or cheaply printed books.
      Regards,
      Mark

------------------------------
      http://www.microcontrast.com
      Too much Oly gear.
      Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
      Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Dye transfer, the Photoshop of the analogue​ printer.
        It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Working...
        X