Half Life of digital cameras ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Half Life of digital cameras ?

In a similar vein, we seem to be obsessed with scrapping perfectly good machinery to replace it with something that is more "eco-friendly".

The present proposed 'diesel scrappage' scheme is one such example, but there are many others. I wonder how many of the vehicles concerned will have been purchased on the previous scrappage scheme that operated in 2009/2010?

I don't deny that the new vehicles should be cleaner, (though not all are); but does anyone ever consider the environmental costs of scrapping perfectly good vehicles, or the environmental costs of building and transporting new ones?

Maybe if the new vehicles were British built they might have a point, but not if they are built on the other side of the world and then shipped here.

Then there is our obsession with wanting to appear "clean and green" whilst simply moving our pollution 'somewhere else'. The present push for electric vehicles is a perfect example, especially coming at a time when we are warned that our electricity grid is at risk of collapse unless we invest in more fossil fuel generation.

Do the tree-huggers who drive electric vehicles ever stop to think where the electricity comes from when they plug these contraptions in to the mains? And how many think the electricity generation, transmission and battery storage processes are 100% efficient?
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
      Too late; I've beaten you to it.

To date:

Olympus OM4Ti x 2 and OM2 Sp
      Mamiya 645 Pro TL
      Mamiya RZ76
      Kodak Retina 1a (inherited),
      and an ancient 5 x 4 plate camera.
      Lovely

Best we keep this old gear GAS close to our chest, we don't want every Tom, Dick or Harry getting in on the act, driving the prices skywards.
      Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
        Lovely

Best we keep this old gear GAS close to our chest, we don't want every Tom, Dick or Harry getting in on the act, driving the prices skywards.
        Unless we want to sell it, but I doubt that will ever happen.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I ran a few rolls of film through my O-M1 a few weeks ago - but they're still waiting for me to develop them. However much I love the tactility and quality feel of the older gear, I much prefer the immediacy of digital. Here's a (digital) shot of my OM-1:

Olympus OM-1 by Paul Kaye, on Flickr
          Paul
          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
          flickr
          Portfolio Site
          Instagram

Comment

In a similar vein, we seem to be obsessed with scrapping perfectly good machinery to replace it with something that is more "eco-friendly".

The present proposed 'diesel scrappage' scheme is one such example, but there are many others. I wonder how many of the vehicles concerned will have been purchased on the previous scrappage scheme that operated in 2009/2010?

I don't deny that the new vehicles should be cleaner, (though not all are); but does anyone ever consider the environmental costs of scrapping perfectly good vehicles, or the environmental costs of building and transporting new ones?

Maybe if the new vehicles were British built they might have a point, but not if they are built on the other side of the world and then shipped here.

Then there is our obsession with wanting to appear "clean and green" whilst simply moving our pollution 'somewhere else'. The present push for electric vehicles is a perfect example, especially coming at a time when we are warned that our electricity grid is at risk of collapse unless we invest in more fossil fuel generation.

Do the tree-huggers who drive electric vehicles ever stop to think where the electricity comes from when they plug these contraptions in to the mains? And how many think the electricity generation, transmission and battery storage processes are 100% efficient?
            All true - but the push to replace diesel engined vehicles is nothing to do with the wider environment - it's all about air quality for humans. The rest of the planet can wilt and die so long as we can enjoy our Starbucks Frappacinos without wearing a mask!
            Paul
            flickr
            Portfolio Site
            Instagram

Comment

Thats a beaut., Paul.
              I'm running a roll of HP5 through my new camera, an M6, and have just ordered another load of B+W film, plus some Velvia 50.

What film and developer are you using Paul. I'm looking to get the bits and pieces together having the blessing of her indoors.
              Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                All true - but the push to replace diesel engined vehicles is nothing to do with the wider environment - it's all about air quality for humans. The rest of the planet can wilt and die so long as we can enjoy our Starbucks Frappacinos without wearing a mask!
                But the push for diesel was brought about because our push for catalytic converters in the 1990's increased CO2 output to unsustainable levels.

We are now doing the same thing again with electric vehicles, which will generate far more CO2 per mile driven than the same vehicle fitted with an internal combustion engine.
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Thats a beaut., Paul.
                  I'm running a roll of HP5 through my new camera, an M6, and have just ordered another load of B+W film, plus some Velvia 50.

What film and developer are you using Paul. I'm looking to get the bits and pieces together having the blessing of her indoors.
                  Paul
                  flickr
                  Portfolio Site
                  Instagram

Comment

We are now doing the same thing again with electric vehicles, which will generate far more CO2 per mile driven than the same vehicle fitted with an internal combustion engine.
                    That's interesting. Can you point me at some references for that?
                    Paul
                    flickr
                    Portfolio Site
                    Instagram

Comment

Actually, a bit of Googling finds the answer... and the answer is "it depends". Obvioous really, but the CO2 per km/mile etc is dependent on how the electricity is generated in the first place. Some places like India (lots of fossil fuel used for power generation) are pretty bad. Other places like France (lots of nuclear power) are much better:

The graph is in co2 emissions per km - which is not an easy stat to make comparisons against. The graph below is the same data but converts these figures into MPG (US gallon). This allows a comparison with petrol that most of us will equate to. My own rather inefficient 3l petrol gets about 25 MPG (US gallon) so in the UK it seems I'd be much better off with an electric car. My wife's Golf (1.4 TSI petrol) manages about 36 MPG on the same measure, so that's getting closer but the electric car still wins.

Source: http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/electric-car-emissions
                      Paul
                      flickr
                      Portfolio Site
                      Instagram

Comment

Nikon scanner software anyone?
                        Yep, Nikon Scan works perfectly for me on Windows 10. It took a bit of searching to find how to do it but the info is out there and my LS-40 is as good as new. Especially after I blew the dust off the mirror which is what caused it to malfunction in the first place! Nikon don't support their scanners any more but they still have a useful life.

Yes, digital cameras do depreciate but think of what you'd have spent on film and processing to take the same number of photos the old way - and how grainy they'd be at 6400 ISO .
                        Regards
                        Richard

Comment

You don't need references; just a good working knowledge of mechanical and electrical engineering principles.

As you say, the actual CO2 output is dependent on how the electricity is generated in the first place, but the graph that you have provided would confirm my view that an electric car is less CO2 efficient than an equivalent vehicle fitted with an efficient internal combustion engine.

Taking my own example, a CO2 output of 189 grams per kilometre is significant greater than my 'gas guzzling' twin-turbo, 275 BHP 3.0 litre Jag (which has an official figure of 159 g/Km)!

However, I would look at it this way:

Is it more efficient to burn fossil fuel to raise steam to drive a turbine to generate electricity at 11 KV to step up to 475 KV to feed the grid to transmit along hundreds of miles of overhead cables with associated resistive and capacitive losses to step back down to 33 or 11 KV for local distribution to step down to 240 Volts to charge a heavy, expensive battery with about 1.6 times the power you will get out of it to drive electric motors to drive a gearbox to propel a car, or;

To fit a car with an efficient internal combustion engine which drives the wheels through a gearbox?

Having said all of that, a lot of what is said about eco-friendly cars is a load of bollox in my view:

Three weeks ago we drove down to Luton to collect a very nice, very low mileage Corsa for 'management'. It is a super little thing with almost everything you could want including heated seats and steering wheel, and even a glass sunroof. And of course being a small car with a small engine it is extremely eco-friendly, unlike my gas-guzzling Jag; or is it?

We drove back up north along the M1, a total of about 230 miles; and bearing in mind the Corsa's little engine we kept between about 65 and 70 MPH all the way.

So, exactly the same journey at the same speed and in the same conditions. Which do you reckon was more economical by a long, long way?

You might just be surprised by the result.

Good engineering wins every time.
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I ran a few rolls of film through my O-M1 a few weeks ago - but they're still waiting for me to develop them. However much I love the tactility and quality feel of the older gear, I much prefer the immediacy of digital. Here's a (digital) shot of my OM-1:

Olympus OM-1 by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Getting back on topic, that is very very nice. I always found the action of the OM-1 felt much more solid than the later OM4 series.

To answer Ricoh's question I have used Paterson Aculux developer for as long as I can remember, and have always been happy with it. Aculux also provides about a third stop increase in speed which is often handy.

Others I have used recently to good effect include Microphen and XTOL; the latter being based on ascorbic acid rather than hydroquinone.

I am still working on a reply to Ricoh's question about exposure on the other thread.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

The OM-1 has always appeared to me to be an unorthodox design to me having the shutter speed surrounding the lens mount. Is this unique to Olympus, I wonder?
                              I think it's more conventional to have shutter speed on the top plate.
                              Steve

on flickr

Comment

The OM-1 has always appeared to me to be an unorthodox design to me having the shutter speed surrounding the lens mount. Is this unique to Olympus, I wonder?
                                I think it's more conventional to have shutter speed on the top plate.
                                As far as I know all of Olympus' OM series cameras had shutter speed rings located on the lens mount.

(There was one OM camera that didn't have any manual shutter speed control at all if I recall, but you could buy a separate plug in manual control for it.)

The shutter control positioning is not exactly unique, as some leaf shutter lenses also have shutter speed rings mounted on the lens body, but I think the Olympus design is unique in focal plane shutter designs.
                                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X