Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Can the real Teresa May .... An Apology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the real Teresa May .... An Apology

Please note I have deleted this thread following a complaint from a member. It was quite rightly pointed out to me that this thread is not keeping it clean and doesn't treat women with respect. It is ironic as that is a complaint rightly levelled at the US President. Perhaps this too is locker room talk? But two wrongs don't make this acceptable.

Although it was intended as a little light-hearted humour when I started the thread, in retrospect I can see that the complainant has a valid point and I have no wish to sink to Trump's level. As a moderator I should have known better and I apologise for any offense I have caused. I would also like to thank the complainant for raising this issue and providing me with the opportunity to reconsider if this thread is appropriate, which clearly it is not.
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Re: Can the real Teresa May .... An Apology

I am surprised that it took that long before a complaint came in.........
    Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post
      I am surprised that it took that long before a complaint came in.........
      I am sorry, Dave, I should have known better than to start this thread, but if you spotted it was inappropriate you could have used the Report button.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

oops.

Put it down to the after effects of your anesthetic ?

Hope you are keeping well.
        Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

I think we're all learning and re-evaluating things that perhaps in the past could be seen to be 'banter' (maybe even so, questionable) but that Dwonold Clump has turned into a much more threatening type of overtly bullying sexist talk that most of us had hoped was been forced into a very distant past.
          Interestingly though, some of the best placards in anti Trump protests have made used of quite forthright language that would make most of us blush!
          So, perhaps as in so many situations, we need to recognise that humour still has or indeed must have its place but we must be also able to judge the potential harm that comes with certain attitudes of intolerance sometimes contained within banter. But tolerance is something that seems in short supply in this Brexit/Dwonold Clump new world order!
          Cheers
          Chris
          If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
          or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Comment

A good decision John. I posted on the thread but in hindsight it probably was inappropriate. My only defence is that it was just another opportunity to get at May and Trump!!
            Paul
            E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
            flickr
            Portfolio Site
            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Johnheatingman

Before you go though, can you please mail me that pic of Teresa as its no longer on the thread.

John
              It's amazing what Google will find for you.
              John

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                I am sorry, Dave, I should have known better than to start this thread, but if you spotted it was inappropriate you could have used the Report button.
                I rather liked the image that you used to illustrate the thread..........
                Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                  A good decision John. I posted on the thread but in hindsight it probably was inappropriate. My only defence is that it was just another opportunity to get at May and Trump!!
                  May and Trump are providing a rich source of material on newsthump. These are my current favourites:

http://newsthump.com/2017/02/01/ban-...led-ban-a-ban/
                  http://newsthump.com/2017/02/01/dona...ive-rock-band/

Jim

Comment

Ah, so it wasn't an ornithology thread after all.
                    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

I have to admit that I did think John's original post was a little close to the knuckle, but certainly not offensive. I contributed some photographs myself so I am in no position to complain.

A true gentleman should never unintentionally offend, but equally, I do feel that humour and laughter is essential to healthy and happy living. Life would be very dull if there was nothing, and nobody to laugh at.

I can remember a time when the workplace was full of laughter, (usually mucky jokes), but it seems the PC Police and the modern corporate world has conditioned us out of that sort of humour.

Sadly today's world is full of people looking for reasons to be offended, and we have to be aware of that. But equally, viewing forum posts is entirely voluntary!

I often drop in here during the day for some light relief so please don't let this forum become a dull and sterile place as there will be little pleasure in visiting it, and our virtual friendships will be lost.
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

This section has become a bit dull of late.
                        So cheer up lads and laddettes - Brexit means misery we have not seen since the power cuts of 1947.
                        This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                          This section has become a bit dull of late.
                          So cheer up lads and laddettes - Brexit means misery we have not seen since the power cuts of 1947.
                          1947 or 1974?

I quite enjoyed 1974 actually.
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                            [url]http://newsthump.com/2017/02/01/ban-isnt-a-ban-insists-press-secretary-for-man-who-called-ban-a-ban/
                            The problem lies (no pun intended) with the English language. The Americans think they have mastered it.

Harold
                            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                              The problem lies (no pun intended) with the English language. The Americans think they have mastered it.

Harold
                              Who said "two nations divided by a common language"?
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                              X