Sending batterries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending batterries

I have an EM 1 with four batteries for sale, but it seems I cannot send the batteries through the post or by carriers.
    Anyone know how I can get round this?
    sigpicDave

Re: Sending batterries

Be economical with the truth?
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
      Be economical with the truth?
      That would be my instinct too, but I gather there have been prosecutions for sending non-declared lithium ion batteries through the post. Amazon was a highest profile example, but there have been others.

Apparently it is OK if you send Li Ion batteries in their original packaging, (i.e. the original blister pack), or fitted into equipment.

The main concern is the safety of mail sent by air, but it is difficult to know whether RM sends its longer distance domestic mail by road, rail or air these days. I suspect a package sent from (say) Devon to Edinburgh may well go by air, whilst it is unlikely that the same package would fly to (say) London.
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

The easiest option is to send the camera + 1 battery installed in the camera.

However, it *is* possible to send up to 2 additional spare batteries provided they are separately wrapped and you put a sticker on the package notifying the carrier that there are Li-Ion batteries inside.

See also: https://business.help.royalmail.com/...ted-goods---uk "The maximum number of batteries allowed in each package is the number that may be connected to the equipment plus two spares."

Comment

Thanks guys, very helpful.
          sigpicDave

Comment

I had a portable battery charger that failed under warranty. Arranged a refund through Amazon and got the relevant return label printed and a warning label that indicated the danger of the contents of the package. The return package was destroyed by Royal Mail, despite the warning label. I still got my refund from Amazon but the supplying company clearly never got their faulty product back.

What I don't understand is that a replacement item was offered but if I had accepted would that have been destroyed also? The item I returned complied with Royal Mail's posting requirements but they still destroyed the package

Steve
            Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
            Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
            My website

Comment

I had a portable battery charger with a big battery, the battery expanded and burst open the plastic case, I could see the battery swollen up like a balloon - I passed it on to the battery collection point.
              I was curious to find out what type of material would ooze out if I burst the battery but sense prevailed and I let it be.
              This space for rent

Comment

How would be receive batteries without being posted??

I think, as said, as long as the battery is not in the gadget, and is isolated, then this is the best solution, and maybe only solution.

Just re read the PO regulations, they say a battery in the gadget is OK as long as the gadget is well boxed???????????
                Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

If it's installed in a device, it's not going to be accidentally shorted out.
                  Steve

Comment

I suspect the perceived risk is shorting out the terminals. That can cause a lot of current and heating - both internal to the battery and in whatever causes the short. Li batteries are quite flammable so the risk of fire is very real. A properly-wrapped battery is no higher risk than one in a device but of course one person's "properly-wrapped" is another's fire hazard so the carriers take the lowest-risk route.

Personally, I think the current rule is guaranteed to cause fraud so it needs appropriate handling (e.g. fireproof outer cases in the carrier's distribution chain) and education rather than impractical rules.
                    Paul
                    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                    flickr
                    Portfolio Site
                    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                      ............. I could see the battery swollen up like a balloon - I passed it on to the battery collection point.
                      I was curious to find out what type of material would ooze out if I burst the battery but sense prevailed and I let it be.
                      Probably a gel of sulphuric acid.

Sulphuric acid of the concentration used in lead acid batteries is unpleasant, but not particularly hazardous if handled sensibly, (rubber gloves, etc.).

The electrolyte from leaking Alkaline, NiCad and NiMH cells is nastier, as it is strongly alkaline, (potassium hydroxide - KOH), and will cause skin burns. It will also destroy equipment, and strip paint!
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

CollectPlus don't explicitly ban them, they say "We shall not carry gases, pyrotechnics, arms and ammunition or corrosive, toxic, flammable, explosive, oxidising or radioactive materials or any other noxious, dangerous or hazardous goods or goods likely to cause damage. ". I know these batteries contain corrosive material, but you can carry them in a camera ok, so I read that as saying if they are securely and safely packaged, they do not contravene their regulations.

https://www.collectplus.co.uk/terms-and-conditions
                        John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                          Apparently it is OK if you send Li Ion batteries in their original packaging, (i.e. the original blister pack), or fitted into equipment.
                          That was my understanding too, but a careful read of the Royal Mail rules posted by Cerebus proves otherwise! "Lithium ion/polymer and Lithium metal/alloy batteries sent in isolation are prohibited." Cerebus posted the Business user rules. The consumer rules are identical, adding only the line that parcels with these batteries must be handed over a Post Office counter (where you will be grilled by the assistant as to the contents of the parcel).

"Other carrier services are available".

Piers

Comment

"Other carrier services are available".

Piers[/QUOTE]

But other carriers have the same restrictions. I think it depends on UK law, not carriers accepting the risk.
                            sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by gphemy View Post
                              (where you will be grilled by the assistant as to the contents of the parcel)........

Piers
                              And asked whether you home insurance is due for renewal, etc. etc.
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                              X