Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

How about a bi-weekly/monthly challenge for here too...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How about a bi-weekly/monthly challenge for here too...?

Originally posted by Chillimonster View Post
    Sounds good - Count me in!

I like the way TPf hold the competitions where the entries are annonymous, as opposed to other forums where you know beforehand who has submitted what. On those forums it is more of a popularity contest than a photo comp.
    I quite agree Chris, anonymity might be a good idea here - however, there would be no vote involved if we were to run this in a similar manner to the Salon on FTU, simply that the person who starts the salon chooses the winner.

Originally posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
    Fourtnightly sounds right.

Maybe limit it to photos taken in response to the challenge.

Ask that EXIF be retained.

Limitation on post processing and/or requirement for explanation of what post processing has been applied.

I'm all for anything that gets us takeing photos that extend our skills/repertoire.

Nick
    All good ideas Nick, thanks.

Hopefully Ian will be back soon and can provide some input as to if this would be permitted in here.
    John

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
      I quite agree Chris, anonymity might be a good idea here - however, there would be no vote involved if we were to run this in a similar manner to the Salon on FTU, simply that the person who starts the salon chooses the winner.

If its a case of not having someone to collate the results received by PM and post a results thread etc, then it's not a major problem for me to take up that role if needed (Its about time i contributed something worthwhile!)

Chris
      Last edited by Chillimonster; 21st December 2007, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Think its a great idea

Comment

On DPNow and FTU, my other two sites, a fortnightly photo salon takes place. Basically the curator is chosen by the previous one according to how well he or she feels the 'winner' has interpreted the theme they set at the start of the fortnight. The winner becomes the curator and the cycle starts again.

The nice thing about that was the DPNow members borrowed the idea from another site and modified it to suit DPNow. I had almost nothing to do with it - which means as the members devised it, it was enthusiastically supported.

Looks like the same thing is happening here.

The salon idea is a good one, but something different would be welcome - so if you guys can come up with a consensus, that would be great.

If you need an arbiter if there are seveal proposals, just let me know!

Ian
          Founder and editor of:
          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
          sigpic

Comment

Just to throw another consideration into the pot - the current rules as they stand over on FTU, don't actively encourage you to take new pics:

The Rules:

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme (in this case - 'LANDSCAPE SCENERY´ or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.
            This rule allows previous images taken to be submitted to the challenge - maybe we should consider any challenge on here as one that encourages you to take new photographs - and not submit ones you have already. OK, sometimes we all have an image that we very much like and would submit to challenges where the category matches our subject - but I feel this challenge should be about encouraging us to use our cameras more, and therefore to take new photographs.
            John

Comment

Just to throw another consideration into the pot - the current rules as they stand over on FTU, don't actively encourage you to take new pics:

This rule allows previous images taken to be submitted to the challenge - maybe we should consider any challenge on here as one that encourages you to take new photographs - and not submit ones you have already. OK, sometimes we all have an image that we very much like and would submit to challenges where the category matches our subject - but I feel this challenge should be about encouraging us to use our cameras more, and therefore to take new photographs.

I agree - this is a site that does just that.

http://www.fujimugs.com/

Happy Christmas.

Barr1e
              Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Originally posted by Barr1e View Post
                I agree - this is a site that does just that.

http://www.fujimugs.com/

Happy Christmas.

Barr1e
                I also agree. Lets create a level playing field for all members. Experienced photographers will have a large portfolio from which to choose which would unfairly give them an advantage over less experienced members.

Kind regards

PeterD

Comment

So where are we with this one then John??

• Monthly
                  • Anonymous
                  • Themed
                  • Shots must be taken specifically for the challenge / comp
                  • Exif must be retained
                  • Minimal Post Processing
                  • Votes or single person chooses winner (I personally prefer the anonymous votes to one person, by PM, who organises / collates etc as per TPf, but am easy with whatever gets decided)

Like i said if we go with the vote system and you need a collator to do the votes counting / results thread, i'd be willing to do that (In fact i'd held in any other way needed)

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chillimonster View Post
                    So where are we with this one then John??

• Monthly
                    • Anonymous
                    • Themed
                    • Shots must be taken specifically for the challenge / comp
                    • Exif must be retained
                    • Minimal Post Processing
                    • Votes or single person chooses winner (I personally prefer the anonymous votes to one person, by PM, who organises / collates etc as per TPf, but am easy with whatever gets decided)

Like i said if we go with the vote system and you need a collator to do the votes counting / results thread, i'd be willing to do that (In fact i'd held in any other way needed)

Chris
                    A Good summary Chris, thank you.

A couple of questions though:-

If images are anonymous, how is the source identity stripped from them and will this require a separate database to hold the images submitted?

How do you define 'minimum' post processing?

All members should have an opportunity to vote but is the pm route the best way of ensuring only one vote per member/competition.

Finally, who or how will the subject be chosen for each competition?

If we can answer the above, it would seem we have a good framework.

Kind regards

PeterD

Comment

Originally posted by PeterD View Post
                      A Good summary Chris, thank you.

A couple of questions though:-

If images are anonymous, how is the source identity stripped from them and will this require a separate database to hold the images submitted?

How do you define 'minimum' post processing?

All members should have an opportunity to vote but is the pm route the best way of ensuring only one vote per member/competition.

Finally, who or how will the subject be chosen for each competition?

If we can answer the above, it would seem we have a good framework.

Kind regards

PeterD
                      Images are submitted by PM. The names are removed, as is any exif information. The images are then numbered and posted into a gallery for viewing,

Forum members then vote, again by PM stating their favourite pictures (3 of, in order). An alternative way of voting is in an opent thread, displaying the images, with a vote (poll) on the thread. The disadvantage to this is that the result are displayed once voted allowing people to see who is in the lead, which can sway the voting.

The scores are then collated at the end of the voting period (7 days?) and the results posted along with the top 3 entries.

From this a spreadsheet can be generated showing scores and positions etc.

As for minimal PP'ing, i would say crops, sharpen, levels etc is acceptable, but nothing more. Afterall it is a PHOTOGRAPHY competition and not a Post-Processing competition (Good job really as i be in last on that one!!)

Themes can either be chosen for the next 12 months in advance (by poll etc), or the winner of one challange can choos the next (although that introduces a delay as the winner is not known until upto 5-6weeks after the start of the current challenge)

Hope i covered all the points

Chris

Comment

Some thoughts from me...

Q. If images are anonymous, how is the source identity stripped from them and will this require a separate database to hold the images submitted?

A. Someone will need to act in this capacity and receive entries via PM, then host them perhaps in a gallery here on the site specifically setup for this purpose.

Q. How do you define 'minimum' post processing?

A. Very subjective... I guess the usual common sense approach should apply - if this is in fact, a rule.

Q. All members should have an opportunity to vote but is the pm route the best way of ensuring only one vote per member/competition.

A. If all entries are put into a gallery here by someone - and we run a poll on the listed entries - then people will be allowed to vote only once.

Q. Finally, who or how will the subject be chosen for each competition?

A. I guess a good way forward here is to suggest the winner of the previous challenge picks the subject for the next challenge?
                        John

Comment

Some thoughts from me...

A. Someone will need to act in this capacity and receive entries via PM, then host them perhaps in a gallery here on the site specifically setup for this purpose.

A. Very subjective... I guess the usual common sense approach should apply - if this is in fact, a rule.

A. If all entries are put into a gallery here by someone - and we run a poll on the listed entries - then people will be allowed to vote only once.

A. I guess a good way forward here is to suggest the winner of the previous challenge picks the subject for the next challenge?

Just my 2 pence...
                          1 - I think anonymous has to be thought about carefully, as it is more work. Many people are lazy, myself included, and so even "a little effort" can be a barrier when you are tired after work, for example. I think generally things that are simple work best.

2 - I do not think "no/minimal retouching" should be a rule. I do think whether it is allowed in that round should be stimulated each time. Sometimes indulging in extreme retouching, or simple allowing artists discretion would, I think, benefit the competition and keep it varied.

3 - I think the curator should set the rules each time, within an agreed framework. I think the chosen/voted winner should then determine the details of the next round.

4 - I think that created/taken for that round is good. Perhaps taken within 2 weeks or something? I think you have to include at least 1 weekend for those with busy week days.

5 - Perhaps to keep things moving, it should be that the result be disclosed within x (2?) days of the close date unless otherwise stated due to personal reasons. The next one should then begin within 3 or so?

Lets hammer this out and get on with it
                          Phil

Comment

You bet Phil - couldn't agree with you more. We're certainly coming up with some great ideas and I'm looking forward to the first one now that I am off from work for a few days and a nice package was delivered this morning.

Looks very much like something from Park Cameras to me... Dear wife... bless her
                            John

Comment

Looks very much like something from Park Cameras to me... Dear wife... bless her

What've you put on your list to santa??

7-14mm?
                              FL-50R?
                              12-60mm?

Comment

Originally posted by emirpprime View Post
                                Just my 2 pence...
                                1 - I think anonymous has to be thought about carefully, as it is more work. Many people are lazy, myself included, and so even "a little effort" can be a barrier when you are tired after work, for example. I think generally things that are simple work best.

3 - I think the curator should set the rules each time, within an agreed framework. I think the chosen/voted winner should then determine the details of the next round.

5 - Perhaps to keep things moving, it should be that the result be disclosed within x (2?) days of the close date unless otherwise stated due to personal reasons. The next one should then begin within 3 or so?

Lets hammer this out and get on with it
                                Phil
                                Agree on the whole, but the PM route is easier for submitting entries, (in my opinion of course ) as its simpler, and quicker than posting in a thread, which even with best intentions gets cluttered with other stuff other than photos.

On the choosing of the next theme, and results , one of the 'other' forums i used to frequent does this and if someone is away, or busy, it can take a week for the results and a week for the new theme, meaning that you can easily go 'off-the-boil', so would go for the prechosen themes on this one. It also alows for thinking ahead and earmarking places to return to for a particular round.

I'm all for getting cracking on this, and looking forward to the challenges ahead

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X