Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Found your perfect pressie? I have .........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Found your perfect pressie? I have .........

Originally posted by Wally View Post
    Out of curiousity, does anyone know how to access the shutter count etc., on an E-20?

I thought I had instructions written down but seems it has walked or they were for the E-3's I had which I sold off years ago to forum members.

I've had a look on the i'net without success.

Asking in case I receive a request???
    Instructions on how to access shutter count are here:

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html
    Stewart

My Zenfolio Site
    My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
    Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150

Comment

Originally posted by Shaw View Post
      Instructions on how to access shutter count are here:

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html
      Hi Stewart, many thanks for find that link... but unfortunately, the info doesn't work for the E-20? Olympus must still have it under 'top secret' wraps.

Having said that, I'm sure it will be handy for many others. `
      It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Imageryone View Post
        I use mine for Tiff files only, 15.2 million pixels work well. I just love the whole concept, it feels " right " in the hand and has weathered many a storm without a single leak! A lovely balanced body no matter which lens is fitted.
        I would agree about handling and weatherproofing.

However, the sensor was only 4.9 megapixels, regardless of the file format chosen. That would been adequate in its day if noise was better at higher ISO speeds, but as always, the half-frame sensor created a man made obstacle to good dynamic range and low noise.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

If anyone is interested, I have a brand new, boxed charger for the E1.

The batteries will work in later E models, (E3, E5), but the charger won't charge some later batteries, which had four terminals.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Apologies for the delay... eventually found the step-up ring on another lens.

Four weighty reasons to go µ4/3ds

The Beast assembled: Weight - 3.600Kgs and 40.2cm in length or, in real money... a featherweight under 8Lbs and 16 1/2" in length.

Not exactly the gear for street toggers, but it certainly gets people talking.
            It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
              Stop it Simon. Actually that looks in far to nice a condition for me to use. I'd prefer what they call a 'beater' over here. One with scuffs and scratches so you don't mind adding more.
              Yes I know what you mean David. This one is so clean ( basically new ) it makes me not want to use it, but that would be silly, all cameras start out in new condition and if we didn't use them we'd have no photographs.

Simon
              “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
              ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
                E1 body and HLD2 grip £89 Ffordes. E+ condition listed in AP.

Wee Man
                They sold it a couple of weeks ago Ed, that's the thing with the internet ..... basically magazine advertisements are out of date before they even get published.

Simon
                ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                  Better than that, colours from the E1 were sublime, and still better just about any other digital camera made today.
                  Nigel,

I believe that has more to do with the Kodak sensor used than Olympus, however Oly may have 'tweaked' things a bit.

That Kodak CCD was I am pretty sure the same as the one used in Hasselblad and Phase One MF Backs plus the Leica M8 and M9, all of which are equally praised for their colour. That's the thing with Kodak .... they really knew how to produce a CCD sensor that simply 'rocked' in the colour department.

Simon
                  Last edited by Simon Bee; 30th December 2016, 08:18 PM. Reason: grammar
                  ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                    Handling was another strongpoint. Apart from the impressive weatherproofing, which I believe was a first for any digital camera at the time, the E1 somehow fitted into one's hand like a well-worn glove. It was certainly heavy, but it didn't feel heavy in use, and became an extension of your inner self.

If the E3 and E5 models which followed had had the same attributes I suspect the E-System would still be going strong now.
                    Nigel,

I completely agree, it's built like a tank. If you have never handled an E-1 or HG / SHG optics the first time you do it becomes evidently clear that Olympus were completely serious in their intention to make an impression within the professional sector .... sadly the sensor technology was not sufficiently advanced at the time to convince many Pro's to make the switch to 4/3.

The handling is truly well thought out, dedicated ISO and Exp Comp buttons adjusted with the slightest of movement of ones right hand thumb. The form-factor of the thumb rest and finger grip really do make it feel like an extension of ( as you say ) your inner self.

The E-5 I once owned was and still is a very good camera however IMO it comes a distant second to the E-1 in the handling department.

Simon
                    Last edited by Simon Bee; 30th December 2016, 08:21 PM. Reason: Grammar ... God I hate 'Predictive Text'
                    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
                      That's the thing with Kodak .... they really knew how to produce a CCD sensor that simply 'rocked' in the colour department.
                      Funnily enough I was chatting to an ex-employee of Kodak in the pub last night and he was saying that Kodak basically invented the digital camera sensor back in the day, but decided not to continue with digital development. Not a good decision! Given their history with colour films it's hardly surprising they managed to create a digital sensor with superb colour rendition, what a shame they didn't continue with it.
                      Regards
                      Richard

Comment

Having had the pleasure of a conducted tour of Kodak City, USA in the very early 1970,s, I can see, in part, where their decision came from.
                        Kodak City supported a complete infrastructure from birth to death of many thousands of Kodak employees, and was a very happy place to be a part of at that time.
                        With almost a monopoly of film production at that time, I can imagine that a new tech like digital did not appear to be a threat.

My " new " E-1 and grip arrived from France today, and, just like Simon's, looks too good to use. I may just admire it for a few days as my own is still very much useable.
                        The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
                          Yes I know what you mean David. This one is so clean ( basically new ) it makes me not want to use it, but that would be silly, all cameras start out in new condition and if we didn't use them we'd have no photographs.

Simon
                          Oh I'd use it for general photography, indeed I'd probably use it for nature work. After all, I did have an E-1 that was dragged along a rocky lakeshore when it was only a few days old. It still looked mintish when I sold it. And the guy I sold it to had seen me dropping it in wet sand when changing to an OM2n body so he knew the life it had had.
                          It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

I also regretted selling mine when I got my E3. A couple of weeks ago while browsing through my snaps I realised just how good the results were so when I spotted one on a certain auction site I put in a bid. It came today. In the box was an E1 body, an HLD2 with charger, a 14-45 and a 40-150 lens. All totally mint. Shutter count 5224. I paid £93 for the lot plus a tenner postage. To say I'm pleased would be a massive understatement. Happy new year one and all.

Comment

Originally posted by IPWheatley View Post
                              I also regretted selling mine when I got my E3. A couple of weeks ago while browsing through my snaps I realised just how good the results were so when I spotted one on a certain auction site I put in a bid. It came today. In the box was an E1 body, an HLD2 with charger, a 14-45 and a 40-150 lens. All totally mint. Shutter count 5224. I paid £93 for the lot plus a tenner postage. To say I'm pleased would be a massive understatement. Happy new year one and all.
                              And there's me thinking I got a great buy, well done you .... that's an absolutely stonkingly good buy

Kind regards, Simon
                              ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                              X