Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photography vs Play?

If you were to be totally honest

What percentage of time spent with your cameras is photography as opposed to the enjoyment of playing with them
    Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Re: Photography vs Play?

Is there a difference?
    Stuff from Cuba
    More stuff from Cuba
    It all started here

Comment

Slightly less than the amount of time which is spent carrying my camera about as opposed to actually taking photographs with it.

Ron

Comment

The ratio definitely changes when you have new toys to play with
        All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
          Is there a difference?
          Absolutely! I regularly "play" to develop new techniques, especially with legacy lenses, flash & lighting and control setups.

My "real" photography is mostly in the studio or streets when it's all about the image.

There's a lot of similarities to tinkering with cameras in the same way we play with computers in a completely unproductive, but very enjoyable way that simply provides a pastime and sometimes a discovery.

My latest discovery is that the image inverts when you hold the camera upside down. For years I have been turning it round to show models the image on the rear screen...
          Graham

Comment

This is a tricky one to put a percentage on it, as I spend more time conjuring up an image in my mind then set about with the camera and lenses to bring the thought up image to fruition. Of course the moment you pick the camera up you are then introducing play into the equation anyway, this is a difficult situation all I do know for sure is whenever I pick the camera up it brings a smile to my face so photography make me happy.

Tom
            "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Comment

Originally posted by tomphotofx View Post
              I do know for sure is whenever I pick the camera up it brings a smile to my face so photography make me happy. Tom
              Long may it be so...
              Graham

Comment

If you are specific time WITH camera's then 90% Taking pictures. My tolerance to playing is limited to learning enough to go for a walk with it

If you include time on the PC afterwards fiddling with pictures, cataloguing, creating slideshows, AV's, website publishing, Blogging etc. then 90% not taking pictures

Regards
                Andy
                My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
                http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by shenstone View Post
                  If you are specific time WITH camera's then 90% Taking pictures.
                  Time taking photographs is usually very short - about 1/60 to 1/1000 second in fact!

For me, time spent playing with digital cameras is fairly short. They are tools to do a job.

But time spent playing with film cameras is another matter. I could happily go out and take photographs with no film loaded, (and have done so accidentally), such is the joy of using these machines.
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

% of time using the camera greatly exceeds playing with them. Digital cameras are like computers, and I hate playing with computers. I much prefer analogue cameras, or digital cameras that are as close as possible to the analogue origin.
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

My play time consists of the couple of minutes it takes to set the body up as a digital OM2. I use the menu system twice a year to change the time when the clocks change.
                      It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                        ... digital cameras that are as close as possible to the analogue origin.
                        I do the majority of my shooting in Manual Mode. Very satisfying to get the results required by my own skills & knowledge.
                        Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                          I do the majority of my shooting in Manual Mode. Very satisfying to get the results required by my own skills & knowledge.
                          Good for you! Artistic choice can not be devolved to a silicon chip.

I use u4/3 and a digital RF. The freedom offered by a manual camera has to be experienced to be appreciated. At first I struggled with manual focus and manual exposure (it does have an A mode but the half press and recompose is useless for street photography) but now I'm more than comfortable and enjoy the creative freedom offered.
                          Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                            Me too, mostly for macro or close-ups. I find that AP gives slower shutter speeds that ideal, mixing ambient and flash when I don't want it.

"Playing" plays no part in my photography. I may calibrate lenses and setups. There nearest I get is the annoying need to alter or reset camera settings.

Harold
                            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Does "play" include fruitless hours changing settings to try and get the thing to focus on the one thing you are trying to take a picture of?
                              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                              Learn something new every day

Comment

Working...
                              X