Sat. Nav. recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sat. Nav. recommendations?

Whilst I've got a GPS for trekking, I've not got a Sat. Nav. for the car. I see Halfords are currently offering some at discount prices and wonder what folk on the forum think of them - or can advise on better 'bargains'.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...5508_langId_-1

Two things that spring to mind that I need/don't need:

1) I don't 'do' foreign countries - so I won't need maps other than U.K.
    2) I need to be able to easily and quickly swap it between my wife's and my car.

Jim

Re: Sat. Nav. recommendations?

Hi Jim,
    I use a Tom Tom One which I have had for just over a year. Its never let me down and is very easy to use. It comes with UK maps, others can be added at a price. I have been so pleased with mine that we have just bought our daughter a newer version of the same device.
    Hope that is helpful
    Shirley
    Shirley
    www.shirleyhollisenterprises.co.uk
    www.photographsbyshirley.co.uk

Comment

Hi Jim

I use a Garmin 2610, now replaced by the Zumo 550.

I require waterproof, vibration resistant and easily moved between vehicles.

It spends most of its time on my bike and has been to Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Portugal etc.

I bought mine as I kept getting lost in rural France, their road signs leave a lot to be desired.

HTH (It probably won't!)

Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
        Whilst I've got a GPS for trekking, I've not got a Sat. Nav. for the car. I see Halfords are currently offering some at discount prices and wonder what folk on the forum think of them - or can advise on better 'bargains'.

2) I need to be able to easily and quickly swap it between my wife's and my car.

Jim
        Hi Jim

Like you I have been looking at Sat Navs.

Currently favouring a TomTom because there is an air vent mount kit available and it claims to be easily removable.

Not 100% decided yet but this site helps describe the various model differences:

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/to...-gb-series.htm

and it shows price comparisons.

Comment

Sorry no help from me

I have to admit to being a gadget freak and I do have a GPS for being in the hills, but I've found that a 3.99 road altlas does it for me - aided by a few multimap prints when I need street level detail

I think on current prices that will be most cost effective for me for the next 20 years

On the other hand my PDA has all the UK OS maps on it and my blackberry will tell me where I am and where the nearest 10 pubs are

Regards
          Andy
          My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
          4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
          m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
          FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
          The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
          http://www.shenstone.me.uk
          http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
          https://vimeo.com/shenstone
          http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

I've got a dead cheap one that was on offer last year in Currys. It's a Medion. Seems to work just fine, and has even managed to take me to the campsite in the middle of nowhere, although the maps are now out of date. The screen isn't very big - big enough to see but not so big that it blocks any part of the windscreen

I saw there was one on offer in WH Smith, didn't investigate any further though so I don't know what make it is.

OH has got a TomTom which we got from auction, it gets used on the continent. It also needs new maps, which are silly prices.

I still refer to maps though, if we're going somewhere new, to make sure we aren't going the "pretty" route or via a river, because I don't entirely trust the concept.
            - my pictures -

Comment

You might want to try this website:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...ile=index&c=16

This is for the all in one Sat Navs (eg the latest TomTom types) but has lots of good advice and feedback from users on a variety of systems and hasfree items to download also.

I've been using TomTom on my PDA for over four years and found it really useful - I'd certainly never go back to A to Z maps again.

You hear of the odd story of wrong directions, coaches going through fields etc but most of the time, and some common sense, they work very well.

Comment

I bought a TomTom One V2 refurbished and cheap from Morgan Computers. (I chose the V2 because it took a SD card whereas the V3 doesn't)

Good points: It does a "map share" thing where you can download tweaks to your map for free. It is easy to use and generally right. Lots of free "Points of Interest" files are available for Tomtom.

Bad points: You lose the town and village names far too soon when you zoom the map out.

As to mounting kits: It sticks on the windscreen of course, but I got a weird floppy black doughnut thing for Christmas, you stick the satnav to it and you place it on the dashboard. It doesn't seem to slide about at all - and its much quicker to hide when you park :-)

Pete
                Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

I have had a TomTom (on a Mio PDA) which was good, and an in-car-radio one from Siemens which wasn't so good, but my current and favourite is the Garmin Nuvi 200. Got a good battery life if you don't want to trail a power lead from your cigar lighter.
                  Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

I have Nuvi 250W. Not too expensive and in use it has been OK:
                    *Sat recognitions is fast.
                    *New route calculation is fast as well.
                    *Big widescreen...
                    *Not too expensive
                    *Easy to navigate on menus etc....

Comment

Something to consider is putting satnav on your mobile phone.

I have been doing this for several years. If you mobile phone is Windows mobile or is a fairly recent(ish) nokia, then you should be able to just purchase the software and bluetooth GPS kit. Some of the newer nokia phone have the GPS antenna build it.

Most of the mobile phone GPS solutions can also be configued to connect to the internet (subject to phone tariff and contract) and get traffic updates and other useful information (speed cameras). These are normally extra services, which would need to be paid for.

By sticking to a big brand (TomTom, Route66, Destinator etc) you can normally get software and map updates.

The other advantage of using a phone, is that you only have one device, and you are less (hopefully) likely to leave it in the car.

Comment

I used Nokias communicator with GPS addon and it worked good as well
                        Althou the screen is "small" the voice command will keep you on track ... and like j.baker said that you wont leave it to car so easily

Only downside was (3 years ago) that the system took quite long time to get the sats... but I would say that this has been "cured" by the years

Comment

I don't remember which one I bought for Jen, but a good hint is to regularly scan for map updates of the manufacturers support www site. Most if not all modern SatNav units will allow maps to be updated via latest versions available on their www sites and via the connection software supplied with the unit.

Doing this will avoid the apparent 'driving through fields' where in fact, no roads exist in the SatNav but they do in reality - as I did on my recent trip to Snowdonia
                          John

Comment

I use a Tom tom and find it excellant, My new car has a traffic master in it which by comparison is useless. They both notify you of fixed speed cameras but the tom tom tells you the road speed limit and is far easier to set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post

Jim
                              HI Jim

On one car I have a TomTom Go which I bought a few years ago and find it to be an excellent device. On my other car I have a Garmin Nuvi 200 which I do not think is nearly as good as the TomTom.

Stewart
                              Stewart

My Zenfolio Site
                              My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
                              Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150

Comment

Working...
                              X