Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Johnson not standing!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Johnson not standing!

    I'm left wondering when the film of all this is coming out? We've had The Three Musketeers followed by The Three Amigo's followed by Three Kings. Is the next one up going to be called The Three Brexiteers?
    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

    Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Johnson not standing!

      I confess to opening a good bottle on hearing B J is out of the frame - for the moment. Here's my theory: Gove set a sophisticated trap for Johnsonin in order to thwart his ambition, Mrs G's inadvertent slip in sending an email to a member of the public who just happened to inform the Press was part of the process.

      I fail to believe that Gove who has spent a great deal of time with Johnson hadn't seen the shortcomings that are patently obvious to the rest of us. Just off to refill my glass, best news in a week.

      David
      The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Johnson not standing!

        It's Basil Brush I feel sorry for. He had a well-paid job lined up, as Boris' body double and voice stand-in, so that Boris could play truant and not be missed. Boom boom!

        Harold
        The body is willing but the mind is weak.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Johnson not standing!

          Originally posted by peak4 View Post
          Just spotted this on another forum I frequent; You might need to read the odd sentence twice, but I think this Benjamin chap has summed much of the antics quite succinctly.

          Author : Benjamin Blaine

          Can I check that I've understood this correctly ?

          The leader of the opposition campaigned to stay but secretly wanted to leave.
          His party has held a non-binding vote to shame him into resigning so someone else can lead the campaign to ignore the result of the non-binding referendum which looks like a lot of angry people trying to shame politicians into seeing they'd all done nothing to help them.

          Meanwhile, the man who campaigned to leave because he hoped losing would help him win the leadership of his party, accidentally won and ruined his chances because the man who thought he couldn't lose, did.
          He resigned, however, before actually doing the thing the vote had been about.

          The man who had always thought he'd lead next campaigned so badly that everyone thought he was lying when he said the economy would crash -and he was, but it did.
          He's not resigned but, like the man who lost and the man who won, also now can't become leader.

          This means that the woman who quietly campaigned to stay but always said she wanted to leave is likely to become leader instead

          It also means that she holds the same view as the leader of the opposition but for opposite reasons, but her party's view of this view is the opposite of the opposition's. The opposition aren't yet opposing anything because the leader isn't listening to his party, who aren't listening to the country, who aren't listening to experts or possibly paying that much attention at all.

          However, none of their opponents actually wants to be the one to do the thing that the vote was about, so there's not yet anything on the table to oppose anyway.
          And if no one ever does the thing that most people asked them to do, it will be undemocratic but if anyone ever does it, it will be a catastrophe.

          This is SO SO funny and good.......can I please copy it to show elsewhere please.
          Keith


          http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

          E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
          Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Johnson not standing!

            Originally posted by ringneck View Post
            This is SO SO funny and good.......can I please copy it to show elsewhere please.
            Feel free, I did.
            Best Regards
            Bill

            The nearest I have to a home page.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
            They're Watching You!

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Johnson not standing!

              Originally posted by Crazy Dave View Post
              I confess to opening a good bottle on hearing B J is out of the frame - for the moment. Here's my theory: Gove set a sophisticated trap for Johnsonin in order to thwart his ambition, Mrs G's inadvertent slip in sending an email to a member of the public who just happened to inform the Press was part of the process.

              I fail to believe that Gove who has spent a great deal of time with Johnson hadn't seen the shortcomings that are patently obvious to the rest of us. Just off to refill my glass, best news in a week.

              David
              Hmmm, I'm still surprised by how easily Boris rolled over. Maybe there is another explanation. Suppose Boris was apprehensive at fulfilling his role as PM in waiting, having realised that the position has become toxic because some sort of compromise involving free movement of EU migrants will almost certainly have to be made in order to secure a free trade deal. At the moment the chalice is poisoned but he felt obliged to accept it in the wake of the referendum victory. And then that muppet Gove gives him the opportunity to step back from the disaster that is bound to happen, with a rather convincing excuse. Now he can preserve his credibility for the job until some other fall guy has paid the price for implementing Brexit. If you like conspiracy theories, Gove might even have done this at Boris's request!
              John

              "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Johnson not standing!

                Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                Hmmm, I'm still surprised by how easily Boris rolled over. Maybe there is another explanation. Suppose Boris was apprehensive at fulfilling his role as PM in waiting, having realised that the position has become toxic because some sort of compromise involving free movement of EU migrants will almost certainly have to be made in order to secure a free trade deal. At the moment the chalice is poisoned but he felt obliged to accept it in the wake of the referendum victory. And then that muppet Gove gives him the opportunity to step back from the disaster that is bound to happen, with a rather convincing excuse. Now he can preserve his credibility for the job until some other fall guy has paid the price for implementing Brexit. If you like conspiracy theories, Gove might even have done this at Boris's request!
                That John is what I was discussing today.
                OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

                I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Johnson not standing!

                  Did I read that right? He was sacked from two jobs for lying on a series of mistresses?
                  Colin
                  "Don't blame me..."

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Johnson not standing!

                    Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                    Where do the Liberal Democrats fit into all this (you do remember them, don't you)?

                    Jim
                    The Lib Dems do seem to have been strangely silent on this matter, although I suspect their voices will have been drowned out by the crossfire over the past few days.

                    Nick Clegg gave a short interview on the BBC R4's Today programme yesterday morning, but didn't say a great deal other than the obvious.

                    On another subject entirely, I am looking forward to next week's Question Time, (BBC1 10.30 pm on Thursday 7th July) which comes a day after publication of the Chilcot report. Ian Hislop will be on the panel!

                    Indeed, am left wondering whether Tony Blair had the foresight to delay the Chilcot report until after the EU Referendum in the almost certain knowledge that it would be a good time to bury bad news. After all, he does have previous form in this.
                    ---------------

                    Naughty Nigel


                    Difficult is worth doing

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Johnson not standing!

                      Originally posted by George Dorn View Post
                      Did I read that right? He was sacked from two jobs for lying on a series of mistresses?
                      Yes, and Theresa May wasn't one of them.

                      Perhaps that was his mistake
                      ---------------

                      Naughty Nigel


                      Difficult is worth doing

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Johnson not standing!

                        Originally posted by George Dorn View Post
                        Did I read that right? He was sacked from two jobs for lying on a series of mistresses?
                        Worse - read Matthew Parris's on Jonson:

                        http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...r-times-attack

                        “Somebody has to call a halt to the gathering pretence that if only you’re sufficiently comical in politics you can laugh everything off,” he wrote.

                        “Incompetence is not funny. Policy vacuum is not funny. A careless disregard for the truth is not funny. Advising old mates planning to beat someone up is not funny. Abortions and gagging orders are not funny. Creeping ambition in a jester’s cap is not funny. Vacuity posing as merriment, cynicism posing as savviness, a wink and a smile covering for betrayal … these things are not funny.”

                        ISTRC that Andrew Mar said to him that he was a nasty piece of work.

                        Still - he's a good old boy, a toff - and you have to trust toffs don't you!

                        Jim

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Johnson not standing!

                          Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                          Yes, and Theresa May wasn't one of them.

                          Perhaps that was his mistake
                          Quite possibly. Although I doubt even she would have stooped that low? However, when it became apparent he was going to stand, she made it known she was rather peeved about certain aspects in his life and his affairs?

                          True or false, it should never get in the way of a front page headline.
                          It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

                          Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Johnson not standing!

                            Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                            Yes, and Theresa May wasn't one of them.

                            Perhaps that was his mistake
                            She was never going to take it lying down!

                            Harold
                            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Johnson not standing!

                              Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                              The Lib Dems do seem to have been strangely silent on this matter, although I suspect their voices will have been drowned out by the crossfire over the past few days.

                              Nick Clegg gave a short interview on the BBC R4's Today programme yesterday morning, but didn't say a great deal other than the obvious.

                              On another subject entirely, I am looking forward to next week's Question Time, (BBC1 10.30 pm on Thursday 7th July) which comes a day after publication of the Chilcot report. Ian Hislop will be on the panel!

                              Indeed, am left wondering whether Tony Blair had the foresight to delay the Chilcot report until after the EU Referendum in the almost certain knowledge that it would be a good time to bury bad news. After all, he does have previous form in this.
                              I heard Tim Farron say on the politics show last Sunday if they were elected they would hold another referendum. Obviously the voice of the people is only considered correct and democratic if it aligns with his (that goes for most people, not just him).
                              Steve

                              on flickr

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Johnson not standing!

                                As a follow-on from Peak4's brilliant borrowed parody of the Brexit, I thought this was similarly suitable for the mess we now find ourselves in...

                                Six politicians on a sinking HMS United Kingdom...


                                Blair: "What do we do?"

                                Brown: "Man the lifeboats!"

                                Cameron: "What lifeboats?"

                                Corbyn: "Women first!"

                                Gove: "Screw the women!"

                                Johnson: "You think we have time?"


                                Now, WE REALLY KNOW WHY we are all in it together.
                                It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

                                Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X