• Show
Clear All

• Do you want a second chance?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215
    Stuff from Cuba
    More stuff from Cuba
    It all started here

Re: Do you want a second chance?

I have signed. Over a million and counting.....
    Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

+1
      Threshold is 100k but I doubt it will come to anything. I'd be surprised it legislation could act retrospectively. And morally the leave supporters would raise a stink if it did.
      Steve

on flickr

Comment

I seem to remember Farage saying earlier in the year that if it was a close remain result, another referendum would be in order.
        Colin
        "Don't blame me..."

Comment

Hmmm - the petition will at best trigger a debate about it. It would be a brave House of Commons that decided to ignore the first result and do it again. As much as I like the idea I'm sure it would lead to a terrible constitutional crisis and probably more division and acrimony within the country.
          Paul
          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
          flickr
          Portfolio Site
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
            Hmmm - the petition will at best trigger a debate about it. It would be a brave House of Commons that decided to ignore the first result and do it again. As much as I like the idea I'm sure it would lead to a terrible constitutional crisis and probably more division and acrimony within the country.
            I suspect a second referendum would cause even more problems than the first; whatever the outcome.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

30% of the UK population voted for out.... and I suspect a few of them did not realise what they were voting for!
              Stuff from Cuba
              More stuff from Cuba
              It all started here

Comment

I'm sure the majority verdict was really aimed at the ability to throw out undesirables (foreign criminals) and less eurocratic red tape but with little thought as to the other implications. Perhaps the time for a second referendum is when leave negotiations have taken place and we know what "leave" means.
                Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
                  30% of the UK population voted for out.... and I suspect a few of them did not realise what they were voting for!

But even fewer voted to stay in!

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                  I'm sure the majority verdict was really aimed at the ability to throw out undesirables (foreign criminals) and less eurocratic red tape but with little thought as to the other implications. Perhaps the time for a second referendum is when leave negotiations have taken place and we know what "leave" means.

I somehow doubt the French will allow us to do that, unless we cross their collective palms with silver perhaps.
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I wonder if there would have been a demand for a second referendum had the vote gone the other way?

Comment

I will be very surprised if the UK leaves the EU completely, I suspect a compromise will be reached.

Don't forget that, although the PM stated that he'd honour the publics decision, the referendum was an advisory, non-binding referendum. The Government could put the decision to a vote by MP's who, if they chose to remain would have the final say.

As David Cameron has announced his resignation and has said he won't invoke article 50 before he leaves office, who's to say his successor will decide to honour the publics vote?

Sadly, it appears that if we leave the EU it may eventually lead to the break up of the United Kingdom, I don't thing our Government will allow that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by greenguru View Post
                        I wonder if there would have been a demand for a second referendum had the vote gone the other way?
                        I don't think the Leavers would act so hurt about it as the Remain camp have, but I'm sure Private Walker (Nigel Farage) would make plenty of noise.
                        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Regards
                          Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                            It appears that the vast majority of young people voted to stay, whereas the Leave vote was largely from the older generation - who won't have as long to live with the consequences.
                            The 'vast majority' of young people didn't vote at all, which is why we have the outcome that we do.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Well I've signed as well - hopefully all those "well I voted leave, but I did it as a protest, I never REALLY wnted to leave" voters will sign up too!

Comment

Working...
                              X