Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Malware on macbook air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malware on macbook air

sigpicDave

Re: Malware on macbook air

Search for the Sophos free Mac anti virus software and install it.

Let it do a full scan (overnight) and that'll capture anything nasty.

Unfortunately I think you've probably inadvertently clicked on a malicious website (easily done) and it's dropped a cookie into your system to redirect you to something really nasty!

I've used Sophos as it's what my employer uses, and it makes my Mac compatible with their network, but it seems to do an exceedingly good job.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/lp/sophos-home.aspx
    I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

I would agree with Walti that you are being redirected to a dodgy website that either wants to infect your computer or rip you off (or both)!

Sadly the Apple OS is NOT immune to viruses and malware as people have been led to believe, so you still need to be careful, and ideally should install some kind of Anti Virus. I have previously used Sophos and found it very good. I am currently running Kaspersky and am very happy with that too.

Further to what Walti has suggested I would suggest that you try clearing any cookies on your MacBook, as that will almost certainly resolve the problem. I'm not sure how you do it on a Mac but it ought to be easy.

Secondly, I don't know whether it works on a Mac but I have found Malwarebytes (free edition) to be excellent for sniffing out malware, adware and other nasties that are not always found by antivirus apps. (The people who write malicious code are often very good at hiding it in places that you wouldn't expect. Indeed, some malicious code is written to disable your antivirus programme unless control of this is password protected.)

If none of those work I believe the Apple OS can be recovered and reinstalled comparatively easily, so you have a fresh install to work on. Just make sure you have backup copies of your files first!
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I have read of these type of issues and it might be a DNS related error, so it is a problem in how the web addresses are being handled
        This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
          ...Just make sure you have backup copies of your 'files' first!
          Of course there's always the possibility that one or more of the 'files' could be 'infected' so it's a good idea to pass them through a 'sheep dip' before re-importing.

Security of other Apple products has also crossed my own mind recently - I wonder how seure or otherwise the iPad is to attack from malware, spyware etc.
          Steve

on flickr

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys.
            I have cleared history of all cookies and installed the the latest operating system, to no avail.
            I will try sophos software next.
            sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
              I have read of these type of issues and it might be a DNS related error, so it is a problem in how the web addresses are being handled
              I don't think so. If it was a DNS issue you would have problems resolving web addresses and loading web pages rather than loading wrong pages. The fact that a 'dodgy' website is loaded instead of Facebook would suggest to me that the Facebook website is somehow being hijacked by some malicious code.

In this respect I would point out that Facebook seems to be home to an inordinately large number of links to dubious websites, which in turn lead to even more dubious places!

Any Facebook post thing that announces "you'll never believe what happened next" or similar needs to be treated with utmost caution. Likewise links to newspaper sites seem to lead on to unexpected links to unsavoury places.

Kaspersky automatically blocks these sites if it detects malicious code, but if you don't have antivirus installed.....................

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
              Of course there's always the possibility that one or more of the 'files' could be 'infected' so it's a good idea to pass them through a 'sheep dip' before re-importing.
              Good point Ricoh. A sheep dip process is always a good idea. It is easy enough to scan external drives as long as their contents are not zipped or compressed.

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
              Security of other Apple products has also crossed my own mind recently - I wonder how seure or otherwise the iPad is to attack from malware, spyware etc.
              I fear the answer to your question is 'not very'!

Apple devices have long been touted as immune to viruses and malicious code, but that is only because (until now) Apple products have rarely been the target of virus authors. This is much the same as householders in remote parts who never lock their doors.

Indeed, the 'experts' are warning of an Apple Apocalypse as so few Apple devices have any kind of antivirus or security software installed.

There have been numerous cases of ransomware being planted in iPhones, which should be seen as a warning that IOS is not inherently safe.

(Written on my iPad.)
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

This link might be of interest... http://researchcenter.paloaltonetwor...ny-ios-device/

Has to do with ALL Apple infected products.
                It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Any Facebook post thing that announces "you'll never believe what happened next" or similar needs to be treated with utmost caution. Likewise links to newspaper sites seem to lead on to unexpected links to unsavoury places.
                  I started to get quite a few of these "what happened next" posts some weeks ago, all purporting to be shares from my FB friends. The friends denied any knowledge of them and indeed they did not appear in the friends' timelines. I found out how to block them:

Click on the little down-arrow at the top right of the post and you will get a short menu. On it somewhere should be a choice to "block content from 'nuisance' page" or similar. That gets rid of the nuisance posts. If there's an option to report the page(s), do that too!
                  Regards
                  Richard

Comment

Because 'everybody' seemed to be using Facebook I though I ought to open an account, which I did. I never actually used it, but started getting emails from Facebook in Cyrillic!

I turned out that my account (along with many others) had been hijacked by a 'Sada Marksys'.

I got Facebook to delete the account (rather than suspend it). I find I can get along quite well without Facebook, or any other 'social media' account!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                      This link might be of interest... http://researchcenter.paloaltonetwor...ny-ios-device/

Has to do with ALL Apple infected products.
                      Both interesting and disturbing, but having read the article I'm not sure I have a complete picture of the iPad connection to the App Store.

When I connect to Apple's AppStore (which is rare) I intitiate via the App button on the iPad and assume the connection is via a server to Apple in California, but I'm no longer sure that's the case.

I always connect that way, not via a PC running iTunes, so I'm not sure how a 'dodgy' 3rd party client can intervene and download malicious code. In addition, I would never ever download trivial apps such as wallpaper.

But I'm left with uncertainty, in the main because a lot of the detail is beyond my current knowledge base.
                      Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                        ...[in relation to the iPad] I fear the answer to your question is 'not very'!

Apple devices have long been touted as immune to viruses and malicious code, but that is only because (until now) Apple products have rarely been the target of virus authors. This is much the same as householders in remote parts who never lock their doors.

Indeed, the 'experts' are warning of an Apple Apocalypse as so few Apple devices have any kind of antivirus or security software installed.

There have been numerous cases of ransomware being planted in iPhones, which should be seen as a warning that IOS is not inherently safe.

(Written on my iPad.)
                        Have you installed AV or anti-malware s/w on your iPad Nigel, and if so do you have any recommendations? (See the thread I started a few days previously discussing this topic, to which Wally replied with the top 5 or 6 best AV Apps.)
                        If you're running AV s/w, do you find it an excessive drain on the battery?
                        Steve

on flickr

Comment

I am currently using Kaspersky Safe Browser (Free).

This only protects against malicious code when browsing but is better than nothing. It doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on performance.

There is no protection for emails on the iPad although infected emails are deleted on our Windows desktop machines and on the Exchange server so any risk on the iPad should be minimal.

(Any risk is associated with opening malicious files attached to emails rather than viewing the emails themselves.)

Unfortunately, there is a dearth of antivirus apps for Apple products (and especially mobile devices) as Apple users have been consistently brainwashed into believing that they don't need them!
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                            I find I can get along quite well without Facebook, or any other 'social media' account!

Jim
                            That's the two of us. I can't begin to image why I would want one.

Harold
                            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

I find that SuperAntiSpyware finds the trojans, and suchlike, that others don't. There is a free version

Harold
                              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Working...
                              X