Just a Forum "Etiquette" question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a Forum "Etiquette" question....

Hi - Although I'm an E-M10 user I also own a couple of other brands of camera so I was wondering if the Foto Fair area is only for sharing Olympus images and other should be shared elsewhere - like maybe via the Lounge area threads ?

Thanks

Jim
    Olympus E-M10/12-50/Panny 100-300 + Sony A77,Sigma 17-70,Sigma 10-20,Tamron 90,Minolta 70-210,Tamron Sigma 100-300 F4,Tamron 17-50 F2.8,Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Fisheye,Sony HVL-F42 + Panny TZ25
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/shotokan101/
    RIA my Images

Re: Just a Forum "Etiquette" question....

Personally, I feel this forum is above "Brandism" and we can enjoy an image for what it is regardless of where it originated...

Lets see what the members think?
    Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

That is my feeling as well but thought it sensible to check out the general concensus

Thanks

Jim
      Olympus E-M10/12-50/Panny 100-300 + Sony A77,Sigma 17-70,Sigma 10-20,Tamron 90,Minolta 70-210,Tamron Sigma 100-300 F4,Tamron 17-50 F2.8,Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Fisheye,Sony HVL-F42 + Panny TZ25
      Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/shotokan101/
      RIA my Images

Comment

I vote for good photos regardless of what they're taken on! (iPhone through to Hasselblad...)
        I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

I haven't posted many photos here recently, but I have in the past uploaded images from my Olympus 35 mm and Mamiya medium format film cameras as well as my various E-System cameras.

As far as I can see the only real restrictions apply to competitions, which are usually intended to be for E-System cameras only. (Maybe we could have an occasional competition for film cameras?)

I once fell foul of this when I uploaded a scanned image from one of my OM4Ti film cameras (shot on Velvia), alongside the same image taken on my Olympus E-1. I preferred the Velvia image but somebody spotted that it came from my Nikon LS9000C film scanner (from the EXIF data) and thought it was a Nikon camera!
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
            I vote for good photos regardless of what they're taken on! (iPhone through to Hasselblad...)
            ..... I agree, although the Sony Z3 has a better camera!
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I agree with the above. However, I would generally include camera, lens, aperture and lighting. If it had not been for someone identifying their lens, the same model would not have been my most successful and most used lens in recent years.

On the other hand, unless members are users (but not necessarily exclusively) of the E-system this could become just another photography forum.

Harold
              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

A Communal thread in Foto Fair for "Other Brand images".....?
                Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by MargaretR View Post
                  A Communal thread in Foto Fair for "Other Brand images".....?
                  A good idea but that would seem to make at least the camera to be named.

Harold
                  The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

When this question has arisen in the past, the concensus seemed to be that it was OK for an occasional posting and provided that the image was identified as non Olympus.

We need to keep in mind that Olympus UK (help to) fund the ongoing operating costs of this site.
                    Chris

Comment

Of course there is always the AP forum, but I was banned from there many years ago for suggesting that Zuiko lenses were better than Canon's, and for making some comment about Canikon's 'dust removal system'.

One of the moderators likened this to (I quote) "lobbing cluster bombs into the Canikon camp".

I guess Olympus didn't have the biggest advertising spend with AP at the time.
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                        I haven't posted many photos here recently, but I have in the past uploaded images from my Olympus 35 mm and Mamiya medium format film cameras as well as my various E-System cameras.

As far as I can see the only real restrictions apply to competitions, which are usually intended to be for E-System cameras only. (Maybe we could have an occasional competition for film cameras?)

I once fell foul of this when I uploaded a scanned image from one of my OM4Ti film cameras (shot on Velvia), alongside the same image taken on my Olympus E-1. I preferred the Velvia image but somebody spotted that it came from my Nikon LS9000C film scanner (from the EXIF data) and thought it was a Nikon camera!
                        Just download an EXIF editor, then you can make your scans/copies anything that you want. If you really want to have fun you can make them E-7 or EM-1 Mk II files.

Or tag them with the model of film camera which is what I've been doing with my slide copies.
                        It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
                          Just download an EXIF editor, then you can make your scans/copies anything that you want. If you really want to have fun you can make them E-7 or EM-1 Mk II files.

Or tag them with the model of film camera which is what I've been doing with my slide copies.
                          Good plan.

An OM4 Ti-D would be almost believable, but an E-7? No chance.
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                            Good plan.

An OM4 Ti-D would be almost believable, but an E-7? No chance.
                            To be honest I don't think I have ever looked at the EXIF of a photo but I have been having fun messing with people who do. The 500 mm f/4 that Olympus have a patent on is a reality in some of my shots, as is the E-7 and an E-MX prototype.
                            It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

This is a forum for people whose main camera gear is Olympus... but we all occassionally use the camera to hand which may well not be Olympus (camera, lens, or flash). I think its a case of just don't do it too often, mark the picture accordingly, and only do it when there is a reason to. Of course M43 users may mix and match their gear from many suppliers (one of the benefits) but so as long as Olympus is represented I can't see an issue.
                              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                              Learn something new every day

Comment

Working...
                              X